Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Local News

Notices

Old 04-14-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post License Plate Scanner Equipped Helicopters

Thursday night, the task force checked over 2,200 license plates all from a helicopter
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:56 PM   #2
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 265 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbl_admin
Thursday night, the task force checked over 2,200 license plates all from a helicopter
huh? How did they do this and why?
Texasbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:42 PM   #3
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 294 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Well this story is inconsistent..

The Times says:
"The operation scanned 2,190 plates, netted six misdemeanor arrests, 34 traffic tickets and five cleared warrants." (6+5=11)

KTAL says:
"checked over 22-hundred license plates...They did make 11 arrests, and issued 34 tickets."

These reports sound like the same numbers. But here is where someone has it wrong:

The Times says:
"Troop G this week rolled out a mobile plate hunter, a device stuck to an unmarked car that uses tiny cameras to simultaneously scan multiple license plates while traveling streets and parking lots"

Whereas KTAL says:
"All from a helicopter. The high tech chopper can scan plates from both parked and moving cars"

Me thinks someone has their facts a bit messed up.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:52 PM   #4
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 261 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Pretty soon, they'll be able to track car movements across state lines, no matter where you go. If you leave the state, the government will know where you've gone. This may make it easier to track criminals and such.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:00 PM   #5
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 318 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Looking for the witch that had on the Ruby slippers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle
huh? How did they do this and why?
If you have seen this witch of the east then report to SPD as soon as you can and look out for those flying monkeys and bring a bucket of water to protect yourself.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ruby Slippers.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	306
Name:  Flying Monkey.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  10.7 KB
Back to thread they are getting big brother ready to take full control of the Matrix by using these license plate scanners and our tax dollars too. Welcome to the machine.
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:15 PM   #6
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 265 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
If you have seen this witch of the east then report to SPD as soon as you can and look out for those flying monkeys and bring a bucket of water to protect yourself.
Attachment 306
Attachment 307
Back to thread they are getting big brother ready to take full control of the Matrix by using these license plate scanners and our tax dollars too. Welcome to the machine.
Isaac
Hey Pokie, I bet if we threw that bucket of water on Isaac he would melt!!!!
Old 04-14-2007, 06:24 PM   #7
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Back to the original topic though, I have heard that they can do this with a device on a car. So I suppose that is how it was done. In my logic though, I am wondering if this is really where they need to be spending efforts. I mean you have so much going on with drug users/dealers, burglaries, etc. Who cares about an expired tag? Let's concentrate on the things that really matter.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:01 PM   #8
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 294 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
Welcome to the machine.
My sentiments exactly!

And you know your nobody's fool....
Old 04-14-2007, 09:55 PM   #9
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 261 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Quote:
Back to the original topic though, I have heard that they can do this with a device on a car. So I suppose that is how it was done. In my logic though, I am wondering if this is really where they need to be spending efforts. I mean you have so much going on with drug users/dealers, burglaries, etc. Who cares about an expired tag? Let's concentrate on the things that really matter.
I agree, but we should also acknowledge that cracking down seriously on smaller crimes and making them hard to commit will discourage the greater crimes from happening in the first place. That is until the criminals find a clever way to beat this method too.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:59 PM   #10
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
I agree, but we should also acknowledge that cracking down seriously on smaller crimes and making them hard to commit will discourage the greater crimes from happening in the first place..
I'm not sure I buy that. Or at the very least that would be a bass acwards way of managing law enforcement. I don't mean to debate, but have you ever watched the movie 1984? Did you see the original Orwellian Macintosh commercial? In a weird way, those 60 seconds sorta shaped my life.

In any event, I hope you never find yourself in "the machine". Or in the matrix". Or in a "suit". Or in any number of artful expressions of the bondage that might await you if you fall into certain social traps..............

I will leave you with this one quote which I'm probably misquoting.... But it is close...

Benjamin Franklin (or was it Thomas Jefferson)...
"The government is best that is governed least"....

Government is not your friend.. The Constitution is your friend. Government is what stands in the way of you and your Constitution. It doesn't get more ironic than that!
Old 04-15-2007, 09:15 AM   #11
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 318 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
I'm not sure I buy that. Or at the very least that would be a bass acwards way of managing law enforcement. I don't mean to debate, but have you ever watched the movie 1984? Did you see the original Orwellian Macintosh commercial? In a weird way, those 60 seconds sorta shaped my life.

In any event, I hope you never find yourself in "the machine". Or in the matrix". Or in a "suit". Or in any number of artful expressions of the bondage that might await you if you fall into certain social traps..............

I will leave you with this one quote which I'm probably misquoting.... But it is close...

Benjamin Franklin (or was it Thomas Jefferson)...
"The government is best that is governed least"....

Government is not your friend.. The Constitution is your friend. Government is what stands in the way of you and your Constitution. It doesn't get more ironic than that!
Morpheus: Throughout human history, we have been dependent on machines to survive. Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:29 PM   #12
Santabot
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to Santabot
Anyone ever heard of the term "Police State"?

Tracking smaller crimes and making them harder to commit is not something that's possible. People will do things without prior knowledge to the law, most people in our country do not know the finer details of the law, whereas I believe you are not an astute or proper citizen if you do not know the laws you are forced to abide by.

Crime will happen because people now weigh the risks of getting caught beforehand, they obviously choose to do so because they rely on the lack of police presence in their homes and private sector, and this kind of activity by government officials is diminishing the space we may even be able to call private. There is hardly a place anymore with the foundation of the Patriot Act that we can even make the choice to enact on ourselves in a way the government would deem punishable.

The representative government we have only further separates us, the citizens, from our political counterparts. We need to educate ourselves and spread the word that there needs to be a reform on the powers of the government. There is no choice anymore as to who rules us, we are forced to choose from a list of candidates, and those who oppose the system we have, by not voting, negate their voting powers rather than make a vote against the current system.

Remember what we all agreed upon over 200 years ago, that laws would be made FOR the people, and BY the people. If you are unsatisfied about laws you are forced to obey, speak out, rather than cowering in your hole (which is getting even smaller by the amount of police presence lately) and allowing our government to overtake us.
Santabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:28 PM   #13
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Mullethead
Old 04-15-2007, 07:28 PM   #14
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Watch out Isaac..Wise Eyes is lurking!!!!
Old 04-15-2007, 07:34 PM   #15
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

She says it is her friend that is on and not her

Quote:
Watch out Isaac..Wise Eyes is lurking!!!!
She is here in the house so we will delete that account.
Thanks,
Issac