Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Local News

Notices

Old 05-07-2007, 09:46 PM   #31
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 261 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
You think that now, but I'm betting you won't be singing that tune the first time someone slams the side of your car and your kid gets killed because he/she wasn't in a car seat.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:00 PM   #32
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 259 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Yeah, that's going to happen. The streets of Spring Lake are practically littered with baby corpses from all the horrific traffic accidents.

People are always so sure "It could happen to me!" and then when it never does they realize that they were worried for nothing.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:08 PM   #33
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 261 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
You're the poster boy for safety and wisdom, Joe.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:15 PM   #34
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 294 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
Yeah, that's going to happen. The streets of Spring Lake are practically littered with baby corpses from all the horrific traffic accidents.

People are always so sure "It could happen to me!" and then when it never does they realize that they were worried for nothing.
joe todays media propagates every news story from around the world. It has led to a certain amount of paranoia in todays society IMHO. Some of that is probably healthy paranoia and some is not IMHO. I happen to agree with you in this case. Zero tolerance is one thing, but math is another. I have a wreck about every 1 in 500,000 miles. The odds of any one mile being "the one" is slim. As I have said before, I would not want to live in a 100% safe society. That would be like living in the matrix or something, eh Isaac?
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:31 PM   #35
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 294 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
You're the poster boy for safety and wisdom, Joe.
Assuming that is sarcasm, I since a bit more altruism in joe and his posts than that. Each of us has an opinion so to speak.

Some of us word our posts to be more popular in the community. Some word our posts to aggrevate the community. Some like to shock and awe the community, and others shoot for a laugh. We all make our points. Some agree and some don't.

Me, I like to gross people out with Pug stories.. Did I mention the time the Pug ate a piece of ribbon at Christmas? Know how we found out? There was this little string thing hanging out her butt. Now who wants to pull that out! We used to have the "pull the string" booth at the carnival, but Pugs take it to a new level!
Old 05-08-2007, 05:41 AM   #36
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Statically speaking, the majority of car crashes happen near the home, not 50 miles away on vacation. In other words your more likely to get your child killed in the 5 blocks between your home and the pool than you would on I-20 headed to Dallas.

Furthermore over 240,000 children under the age of 16 are injured in car accidents every year and another 1,700 are killed.

and guess what joe:

Most accidents involving kids actually occur on local, residential roads during a routine trip to the day-care center, the grocery store, or the neighborhood park. That's why it's critical to take all the same precautions for a short drive that you'd take for a three-hour ride to Grandma's.
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:47 AM   #37
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
>No, I don't carry a snake bite kit with me, but I have taught my children that to watch where they walk. I have taught them to obey they laws. They are for their safety. I put them in their car seat from the moment they came home from the hospital and they have been in that or a seat belt ever since.

So what you're saying is you weigh the inconvenience against the potential risks and then act accordingly? Me, too.
No I think she saying over 240,000 people are NOT bitten by snakes every year (only 45,000) and an additional 1,700 don't die from their snake bite (the national average is less than 4 per year).

You line of reasoning is childish at best.

I'd suggest that any of you who know this man in real life contact child services immediately. You're not just being stupid and endangering the life of your child, joe, if he/she is under the age of 6 and 60 pounds, you're breaking the law too, probably with full knowledge of your actions and willfull intent to boot...
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:21 AM   #38
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 265 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
No I think she saying over 240,000 people are NOT bitten by snakes every year (only 45,000) and an additional 1,700 don't die from their snake bite (the national average is less than 4 per year).

You line of reasoning is childish at best.

I'd suggest that any of you who know this man in real life contact child services immediately. You're not just being stupid and endangering the life of your child, joe, if he/she is under the age of 6 and 60 pounds, you're breaking the law too, probably with full knowledge of your actions and willfull intent to boot...
Way to go Brain!!!!!
Old 05-08-2007, 07:39 AM   #39
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 272 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

It doesn't matter what neighborhood you live in! Surely you know accidents occur everywhere!
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:08 AM   #40
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 318 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Joe bend over and crack a smile you are getting a good spanking
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:45 AM   #41
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 265 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute

Somehow I don't think he is getting the point Isaac. The only way he will get this is when he has to slam on the brakes driving home from that pool and his daughter ends up hurt. God forbid it never happens, but I think some people (and he must be one of them) only learn the hard way unfortunately.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:18 AM   #42
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 249 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
He doesn't Belle. As he pointed out in the thread 17 children, he wiil just ahve more to replace the one he loses. What a heartless, JERK.
piemaker720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:43 AM   #43
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 259 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
>you're breaking the law too, probably with full knowledge of your actions and willfull intent to boot...

I speed, too. I also order products over the Internet and don't report them to the state so I can pay sales/use tax on them. Sometimes if I am in a hurry I will park in a handicapped spot. I am a CRIMINAL!!!

>Statically speaking, the majority of car crashes happen near the home, not 50 miles away on vacation. In other words your more likely to get your child killed in the 5 blocks between your home and the pool than you would on I-20 headed to Dallas.

1. It's "you're"

2. That is not what that means. That means that more accidents happen w/i 5 miles of home. It says nothing about the relative danger of driving near home vs. driving far from home unless you also have statistics about the amount of total driving done in those same distances. If 50% of accidents occur w/i 10 miles of home but 75% of driving is done there, then it is actually safer.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:30 AM   #44
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

If any of you call child services please record the call. I want to hear how that goes.

"This guy on the Internet said he let his kid ride in his mom's lap for 5 blocks!"

"The SWAT team has been dispatched. He will be brought to justice."
Old 05-08-2007, 11:46 AM   #45
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
Most accidents involving kids actually occur on local, residential roads during a routine trip to the day-care center, the grocery store, or the neighborhood park. That's why it's critical to take all the same precautions for a short drive that you'd take for a three-hour ride to Grandma's.
This is because most miles spent on the road are spent on local residential roads on routine trips and not vacations.. That is why they are called "routine". Duh....

I really think this thread has run awry. I don't think anyone is not suggesting taking the precautions to keep our kids safe. If someone does their job 499,000 out of 500,000 times, that is reasonable. If safety if truely the number one concern, then it is best never to leave your house. After all, most car accidents occur outdoors and not inside your home. Even then, there are a few exceptions of people getting hit by a car while sitting in their living room.