Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Local News

Notices

Old 12-05-2006, 09:14 PM   #16
geodood
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 geodood has a spectacular aura about geodood has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisthat
does sushi taste like Goobers?
LOL, I may not be a sushi expert, but as the all time Goober expert, I can say..........no. But thank you so much for asking!

I think I know who whoisthat is, and that's not easy to say!
geodood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 10:19 PM   #17
kansast
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by geodood
LOL, I may not be a sushi expert, but as the all time Goober expert, I can say..........no. But thank you so much for asking!

I think I know who whoisthat is, and that's not easy to say!

If the "goober" is ANY hint at all.. I think I might know who whoisthat is as well.. and yeah, that ain't easy to say. LOL
kansast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:01 PM   #18
Mudbug

Rep Power: 0 Mudbug is on a distinguished road Mudbug is on a distinguished road
back to the topic at hand...

The folks who make the sushi at Target are really doing a fine job and make a tasty little dish for me for lunch on many occasions.

Granted, I get the California roll that contains the imitation crabmeat which is fully cooked, but it's good, and gives me a great variety in what would otherwise be another hot pocket/lean cuisine pizza lunchtime.
Mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:21 PM   #19
geodood
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 geodood has a spectacular aura about geodood has a spectacular aura about
I haven't tried the sushi from Target, but I have tried it at Brookshires and I wasn't very impressed. I might have to try it sometimes if I can catch them shortly after they make it. I also haven't tried Ichiban (sp?) on Youree drive which I hear is good also. Today I ran into a friend who said he liked Tokyo. That has not been my experience. To each his own. Also I'm sure things vary month to month. I really hope Sushi ko turns out to be the real deal.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:12 PM   #20
geodood
Advanced Member

While this topic is still active, I thought I might post my favorite sushi dishes. If you like sushi, please do the same! (If you don't, read em and weep!) LOL

#1 Spicy Tuna Carpaccio or Spicy Tuna Salad

There are many variations of this dish. Basically you take some FRESH raw yellow tail tuna or Ahi tun and dice it and mix it with chili sauce and sesame oil. Sometime it is served with diced cucumber mixed in as well, which I like. And sometimes it is just strips of raw tuna over a mixed green salad (with cuc) and chili oil and sesame oil drizzled over the top. My favorite touch is some shave nori (dried seaweed) over the top for garnish. Also flying fish roe (tobikko) is also a great garnish.

#2 Fresh sashimi

This is where you get to appreciate the taste and TEXTURE of raw fish and nothing else. I only order this when I am “out of town” and near the coast. I do not like Salmon in any form, but I like tuna and yellow tail (Hamachi), not to be confused with yellow tail tuna which is totally different and one of my favorites. Dip it in some soy sauce mixed with a bit of wasabi and enjoy!

#3 Spider Roll

This is a fried soft shell crab roll with no “raw” fish at all. Good for newbies who happen to love crab. A safe bet.

#4 Spicy Tuna Roll

This is basically the mixture from #1 but rolled up with rice into a "Maki sushi" roll. Almost all sushi bars have this so this is my "old staple" when I am in doubt. (not that I get the opportunity to try new resturants often)

But I do judge how good a sushi bar is by their nigiri zushi and spicy tuna rolls! If they can't do that, (the basics) then there is no use going any further.

Also please post your favorite sushi resturant experience if you have one. Mine would be at "Osaka" down in Destin, FL during our last family vacation a couple of years ago. It was very good with lots of Sake to choose from.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:41 AM   #21
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Tokyo would be my last choice for sushi

I am sure Target or Brookshires is as good or better than Tokyo. I will go with the Rainbow roll if I get a roll.
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:24 PM   #22
FunnyGuy

Rep Power: 0 FunnyGuy will become famous soon enough FunnyGuy will become famous soon enough
How do they answer their phone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	How Do They Answer Their Phone.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	55  

FunnyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:27 PM   #23
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Never tried that Sushi.. I've been to a couple of Japanese restaurants, where they cook the stuff right there in front of you. Typical rice and chicken, shrimp etc.. that kind of stuff.

I guess they don't have fortune cookies in Japanese restaurants ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3b0a9e08cbcfa.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	57  

LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:01 PM   #24
geodood
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight
I guess they don't have fortune cookies in Japanese restaurants ?
Many Japanese resturants here are owned by Korean Americans and serve Chinese fortune cookies. Go figure. It may be best to think of most Japanese resturants as Asian resturants in general, at least in the states. Then it all makes sense. No matter who makes it, I loves it! (as long as they are good at making it)
Old 12-14-2006, 03:08 PM   #25
Cichlid Man

Ever tried Cichlid Sushi ?

I hear puffer fish make good Sushi. It you eat the right amount you will get some kind of high from it and if you eat to much you will die While in Sushi cutting school they must eat there own Sushi and like I said one to many puffer fish and it's all over. I have not notice a shortage of Sushi guys with the funny little white paper hats ?
Cichlid Man
Old 12-15-2006, 02:02 PM   #26
Snow Man

Rep Power: 0 Snow Man is just really nice Snow Man is just really nice Snow Man is just really nice Snow Man is just really nice Snow Man is just really nice
Sushi is just as good cooked

I like the soft shell crab and the crunchy roll. I love the Edamame (boiled soybeans) with a bit of soy. Now I do not like Smelt Eggs or Eel (Unagi) at all ! My wife Mrs. Snow Man will not even try it but girls have a right to be girls.
Snow Man
Snow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 07:58 PM   #27
geodood
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Man
I like the soft shell crab and the crunchy roll. I love the Edamame (boiled soybeans) with a bit of soy. Now I do not like Smelt Eggs or Eel (Unagi) at all ! My wife Mrs. Snow Man will not even try it but girls have a right to be girls.
I have made my own sushi a few times and I get my supplies here:
http://www.catalinaop.com/

There are several kinds of Roe used in the restaurants, but two are the most popular. The cheaper of the two is the one you mention, Capelin (Smelt) Roe which is called Masago. A similar roe but much better in my opinion is Flying Fish Roe called Tobikko. This is slighty smaller and crunchy and flavorful and makes a good "accent" with tuna. But I'm not much into Battleship sushi (Gunkan maki) where the Roe is the main feature.

Here are two good tuna receipes just as an unrelated side note:

http://www.catalinaop.com/articles.asp?id=180
http://www.catalinaop.com/articles.asp?id=179
Old 12-15-2006, 08:03 PM   #28
geodood
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlid Man
I hear puffer fish make good Sushi. It you eat the right amount you will get some kind of high from it and if you eat to much you will die While in Sushi cutting school they must eat there own Sushi and like I said one to many puffer fish and it's all over. I have not notice a shortage of Sushi guys with the funny little white paper hats ?
Yes I saw that on TV once. Apparently it costs the customer quite a large amount of money to be served this potentially fatal 'delicacy'. I wouldn't touch FUGU if my life depended on it! (pun intended) But if I did eat it and survived, I would likely be broke!
Old 12-21-2006, 12:34 AM   #29
FunnyGuy

Rep Power: 0 FunnyGuy will become famous soon enough FunnyGuy will become famous soon enough
What kind of sushi is this?
FunnyGuy
See my stuff at www.shreveport.com/shreveporthappyhour
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Looking for Nemo1.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	66  

FunnyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:02 PM   #30
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
LOL, yeah I wouldn't eat at "Sushi Ito" for sure! The polonium rolls suck pretty bad.
Hey rhertz what do you think about summer time sushi
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote