Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 11-17-2006, 02:38 PM   #1
Bob
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 221 Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice
Leonid meteor shower nears peak

Leonid meteor shower nears peak

Quote:
The annual Leonid meteor shower could produce a strong outburst this weekend for residents of eastern North America and Western Europe.

A brief surge of activity is expected begin around 11:45 p.m. ET Saturday, November 18. In Europe, that corresponds to early Sunday morning, November 19 at 4:45 GMT. The outburst could last up to two hours.

At the peak, people in these favorable locations could see up to 150 shooting stars per hour, or more than two per minute.

"We expect an outburst of more than 100 Leonids per hour," said Bill Cooke, the head of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office. Cooke notes that the shooting stars during this peak period are likely to be faint, however, created by very small meteoroid grains.

Don't know how viewable they'll be for our neck of the woods.. It was a couple of years back, I caught one of these things around 2am and out where I live, no street lights etc.. the sky was just absolutely FULL of shooting starts.. an incredible sight.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:21 PM   #2
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Thanks for the post Bob. I will keep an eye out tomorrow night.. Two eyes actually.... I hope the sky is clear. The SBLive weather portal says "mostly sunny" which sounds good.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:23 PM   #3
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Early morning best a good time

I was in a deer stand yesterday morning about a hour before sun break and
could see them great. I too was way out in the country and looking up at the heavens is one reason I go so early to take it all in. LSU will have a star party once a month so check it out at Worley Observatory south off Ellerby Road. Great stuff. The best is still just standing out looking up. I will be there
early in the morning.
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:21 PM   #4
Snow Man

Rep Power: 0 Snow Man is just really nice Snow Man is just really nice Snow Man is just really nice Snow Man is just really nice Snow Man is just really nice
Leonid meteor shower

Yesterday morning 12/14 it was going strong. One about every five minutes and with the stars in the back ground and the moon at less than a quarter I could see everything so clear. There times I stop and just look up and being out in the country you can see so much.
Snow Man
Snow Man is offline   Reply With Quote