Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-06-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 249 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
Man Says Home Depot Fired Workers For Catching Thieves

http://www.koco.com/news/13441545/de...0424&qs=1;bp=t

Quote:
A former Home Depot employee said the company fired him and three other workers because they helped police catch several suspected shoplifters in May.
Quote:
An internal memo from Home Depot outlines that associates cannot accuse, detain, chase or call the police on any customer for shoplifting
Quote:
The loss-prevention guy at our Shields (Boulevard) store turned around and told me all we need to do is tell the shoplifter to have a good day as they leave the store. I said that just doesn't make sense
Well it sounds like to me Home Depot likes shoplifters. Anyone need a riding mower. Let's go shopping.
piemaker720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:25 PM   #2
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 294 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
You mean I didn't really have to pay for all that crap in, on, and around my house! Somehow I don't believe that. I bet this story didn't happen in Shreveport. It sounds like an organized shoplifting ring with inside moles.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 249 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
But Rhertz it states it is against policy to stop or call the police on any customer.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:49 PM   #4
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 294 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by piemaker720
But Rhertz it states it is against policy to stop or call the police on any customer.
OK, you try it first, then come back and tell us how it went.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:55 PM   #5
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

I got a better idea, we'll send Brain first.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:01 PM   #6
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
Originally Posted by piemaker720
I got a better idea, we'll send Brain first.
What's really sad is that you think trying to manipulate people, for any reason, is a "better" idea.

I'm just sorry for the kids who have to put up with your insanity.
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:31 PM   #7
howela
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 220 howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold
I recall a "then 7-11" store employee was fired here in the Shreveport area years ago for fighting with a robber.
The reason: same as above; he broke company policy which is to let the robber have what he wants without resistance. By fighting with the crook he put himself in harms way which opens the company up to all sorts of lawsuits should he be injured.
howela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:33 PM   #8
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by howela
I recall a "then 7-11" store employee was fired here in the Shreveport area years ago for fighting with a robber.
The reason: same as above; he broke company policy which is to let the robber have what he wants without resistance. By fighting with the crook he put himself in harms way which opens the company up to all sorts of lawsuits should he be injured.

That might make sense but what about the "or call the police on any customer for shoplifting " part? What is the exposure to liability for calling the cops?
Old 06-06-2007, 04:34 PM   #9
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 259 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Manipulating people is usually a good thing. Unfortunately the word, like "discrimination," has taken on an undeserved negative connotation.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:42 PM   #10
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
That might make sense but what about the "or call the police on any customer for shoplifting " part? What is the exposure to liability for calling the cops?

It's not a liability issue, it's a not wanting to offend people issue....not unlike what most of you try to do to me. You'd rather me not offend anyone than express my opinions in a manner I see fit. Well most stores that cater to the masses have the exact same policy.....only twice a week are there people in the Natchitoches Wal-Mart who will chase shoplifters out of the store and at no point do you have to actually stop when the door greeter wants to check your bags and it is against store policy for them to physically try and stop you should you walk past or even sound the door alarm.
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:43 PM   #11
howela
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 220 howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold
I think that is what the 7-11 employees are supposed to do, call the police. Maybe in the Home Depot case they are to notify loss prevention guys and not get involved personally.

I would not fire anyone for breaking a rule like this, having such a rule on their books should be enough to cover them from lawsuits; but, I am surprised that anyone would want to get involved as a by the hour wage earner.
howela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:44 PM   #12
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
Manipulating people is usually a good thing. Unfortunately the word, like "discrimination," has taken on an undeserved negative connotation.
Yeah funny how that goes. It is good to have "discriminating taste" towards food, wine, or sexual partners, etc. but bad to discriminate (form an opinion) against people (that you aren't having sex with)
Old 06-06-2007, 04:45 PM   #13
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 259 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
No, it's usually a very good thing to discriminate against people.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:54 PM   #14
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
No, it's usually a very good thing to discriminate against people.
I meant "bad" in the sense of today's political correctness.....
Old 06-06-2007, 04:57 PM   #15
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

It's especially good (and pleasurable) to discriminate against people concerned with political correctness.