Go Back   Shreveport.com > Support Forums > SBLive! Polls

Notices

Poll: Do you think cell phones should be used while driving?
Poll Options
Do you think cell phones should be used while driving?

Old 11-14-2006, 01:27 PM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Cell Phones while driving

Louisiana safety official wants a ban on drivers using hand-held cell phones but believes a state law is unlikely to achieve it.

http://www.ktbs.com/news/local/4640621.html
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:34 PM   #2
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 257 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Question

Are you asking should it be made a crime?

Should it be done? Probably not.

Should it be a crime to do? Definitely not.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:54 PM   #3
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Thats right!

If they ban this, they'll have to ban smokin, eatin, drinkin (non alcoholic bevs), puttin on makeup for the ladies, etc...
Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:31 PM   #4
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 257 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Ban various

Why would they have to do that? Just because those other things are distracting doesn't mean they would have to be banned, as well.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:48 PM   #5
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Thats the whole point...the other things are no more/less distractin than talkin on a cellphone..ya might fumble that cigarette or drink into your lap...ya might altogether miss your piehole with that cheeburger and end up crammin it into your nostrils...who knows what calamity might befall ya...if ya cant drive and talk on the cellphone at the same time safely then ya probably shouldnt be walkin and chewin gum at the same time, either.

Last edited by Al Swearengen; 11-14-2006 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:09 PM   #6
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Well I voted! I think driving while gabbing on the cell phone is good for you!!

(I just don't want to see yet another liberty made illegal I guess)
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 09:01 PM   #7
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Distracted Driving

>the other things are no more/less distractin than talkin on a cellphone.

Actually, talking on the cell phone has been shown to be much, more distracting and to have much, much more negative impact on your driving than those other things.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:51 PM   #8
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Hmm...well, I guess if you're concentratin too intently on the conversation...but no, you could just as easily have the same engrossin conversation with a passenger...well, you've got the one hand holding the phone up to your head and possibly obstructin your vision...thats about the only thing I can think of to support the contention that its even more dangerous and distractin, but when you tip a soda can to your lips or light a smoke youre doin the same thing, so I dont know that I buy into it. Maybe the microwaves or whatever it is the damn things throw off are penetratin people's skulls and softenin up their brains, causin fuzzyheadedness, makin em more susceptible to distraction ...No disputin the fact that trying to do ANYTHING other than control the vehicle while drivin certainly heightens the risk of an accident.

Last edited by Al Swearengen; 11-14-2006 at 11:02 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:22 AM   #9
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 316 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Well I voted! I think driving while gabbing on the cell phone is good for you!!

Depends on the person. Some people can't drive with both hands on the wheel. I don't know about you folks but my eyes are not what they use to be
and the phones are getting smaller so when it rings I can answer it but if I have to look up a number or read the caller ID I have to really focus on the phone to do that. Rhertz has said before that way to many folks die from car
accidents and the phones are just another way to be distracted. I am sure there will a new law for that too?
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:43 AM   #10
Rough Rider
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 218 Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about
From what I've read, and experienced.. it's not the holding of the phone that is the problem.. it's talking to someone who is not physically in the car with you that is the problem. Problem is all they could try and do is ban talking on a hand held cell phone. . because you can see that.. but if they are using some speaker phone type system no one can see that, but the problem is still there, tests have shown time and time again, talking on a phone and driving simply causes more accidents.. PERIOD. of course so does being YOUNG AND STUPID causes more accidents too.

"Hey, Hold my beer, WATCH THIS" :-)
Rough Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:45 AM   #11
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Concentration

You don't need to understand the mechanics of the reason, just the effect. One study from a University in (I think) NYC found that people talking on the phone drove about as well as people just above the legal drinking limit.

That said, it still shouldn't be illegal.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:27 AM   #12
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 316 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
That said, it still shouldn't be illegal.

I agree with Joepole on this one. Heck it was not long ago that we did not even have cell phones and if I recall we did just fine. I have one and it comes in handy while out in a boat or in the woods but I leave mine in my truck. yea
I drive a red truck !
Isaac
Old 11-30-2006, 03:38 PM   #13
Hattie Thomas

Rep Power: 0 Hattie Thomas is on a distinguished road Hattie Thomas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Hattie Thomas
Reach out and touch someone

I personally believe that the vehicle is an extension of the home.
For many of us we spend hours in transit and communication is imperitive to our way of life.If we do away with cell phones in vehicles then we may as well do away with car stereos and portable devices such as dvd and game players as well.
Perhaps there is a need to regulate mobile electronics in this day and age, perhaps they should make it the responsibilty of the Department of Motor Vehicles to update State licensing criteria to a format suiting the modern needs and educating drivers on safety issues.

Last edited by Hattie Thomas; 11-30-2006 at 09:08 PM. Reason: typo
Hattie Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:03 PM   #14
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

educating drivers on safety

Been trying that for years. Face it some people can not drive with or with out there phone or music or food or smokes or little Johnny rotten in the back seat or just getting old and reflexes are just not what they have been in the past. Defensive driving is the best way to travel and don't drink and drive.
With the number of cars on the road increasing so have the number of bad drivers too.
Isaac