Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Who do you get your T.V. service from

Who do you get your T.V. service from ?
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:07 PM   #2
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Long time DirecTV customer.. been pretty happy with it. I just wish I could get my local channels in Hi Def via Satellite.

LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:48 PM   #3
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight
Long time DirecTV customer.. been pretty happy with it. I just wish I could get my local channels in Hi Def via Satellite.
http://products.howstuffworks.com/tv...ying-guide.htm

You might need a good antenna is all. First off, rooftop outdoor antennas work better than set-top antennas. Second, directional antennas can be aimed at a particular station for best reception. And last, Amps can be used to boost weak signals. With these tools, you can get many of your local channels in HD. Consult your resident wireless expert!
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:33 AM   #4
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 316 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Dish Network has been good to me

Never problem with their service. I like it !
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:00 PM   #5
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
Never problem with their service. I like it !
I wish I could say the same. All I wanted was a 4th TV for my daughter's Christmas present. Dish missed 4 appointments, the last was on Christmas Day! I had a 12 to 5pm appt on 12/25 and the "sub" showed up at 8pm and left at 11pm with no TV's working. They did find the time to rummage through my wife's things though.

The next day I went to Bestbuy and brought some Directv receivers and installed them myself in no time. Problem solved. Dish called me a few days later and wanted to know why I quit. As a "5 star" customer, I asked for a member of management to call me and I would explain it. The off shore worker said "I don't know what a member of management can say that I can't say". So clueless. I never got a call back after paying $1000's to them over the years. They nearly pushed me into the arms of Directv. It was their call, they had so many chances. So be it.

Isaac, Dish works great as long as you don't need them for anything. But try getting an extra hookup and see what happens. Or maybe my experience with them was unique. But I doubt it.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
DirectTV customer here! Never had any problems with them. They get all of my channels. Their service is great.
AnimeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:44 PM   #7
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 257 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
I'm a DirecTV subscriber (since about 1998) but I'm about to switch to cable because DirecTV no longer makes/sells/supports Tivo boxes. They now have only their own in-house craptacular PVR boxes.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:38 PM   #8
Bob
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 220 Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
I'm a DirecTV subscriber (since about 1998) but I'm about to switch to cable because DirecTV no longer makes/sells/supports Tivo boxes. They now have only their own in-house craptacular PVR boxes.
Really ? I have a Hi-Def DirecTV-Tivo unit, may have been about a year ago maybe that I got it.. Does cable use TIVO ? from what I understand Bossier Cable customer have some DVR unit, but it's not cable.

I tried doing a google search on some updated information on this, but having a hard time finding relevant information. I do see where DirecTV has started using it's own DVR services however..

Edit: man, the more I read about this, the worse it sounds. Apparently DirecTV will support the Directv-Tivo units for a few more years.. But what I'm reading about the units they are selling in place of it.. kind of blow..

Last edited by Bob; 01-11-2007 at 11:56 PM.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:03 PM   #9
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 257 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
The old HR10-250 Tivo units from DirecTV won't be able to receive local HD content or most of the new HD content (the new satellites are MPEG4 and the HR10-250 only decodes MPEG2). As of today no cable companies provide Tivo-branded units, but this week Comcast and Tivo announced one. Also, the retail Series 3 Tivo supports CableCard, so you can go that route for the low, low price of $800.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:58 PM   #10
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
The old HR10-250 Tivo units from DirecTV won't be able to receive local HD content or most of the new HD content (the new satellites are MPEG4 and the HR10-250 only decodes MPEG2). As of today no cable companies provide Tivo-branded units, but this week Comcast and Tivo announced one. Also, the retail Series 3 Tivo supports CableCard, so you can go that route for the low, low price of $800.
Joepole, I’m not very “up to speed” on the latest tv services (other than b!tching about Dish Networks appointment calendar, LOL) I heard that Dish Network bought Voom and has more HD channels than Directv. So did I screw myself by switching to directv? (I don’t have a HD tv yet, but I plan on getting one) I also heard a couple of years ago that cable offers a lower grade of HD (480i or 720i) compared to satellite (720p and 1080i). Do you know if this is true? I’m just thinking that once I do spring for a HD tv, then I want 720p (or above) in as many channels as I can get. Thanks for any tips you can provide on this subject……

I will offer this one tip. I heard that the owner of www.ehdmi.com is a local guy who is a national reseller of inexpensive HDMI cables and other accessories. I haven’t ordered from him, but I plan to when I need some HDMI cables. Also FWIW, the guy at www.gerber-tools.com is also local in Haughton (two point) Really nice guy. I believe in supporting local people when possible.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:27 AM   #11
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

480i is regular, standard definition TV. There is no 720i.

720p is the minimum to be called "HDTV" and most broadcasts are in 720p or 1080i. I personally prefer 720p but there's not really much difference.

Satellite generally has the worst (i.e. most compressed) HD signals. Cable is generally a little better and over-the-air broadcasts are the best.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:30 AM   #12
Bob
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 220 Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice
Quote:
480i is regular, standard definition TV. There is no 720i.

720p is the minimum to be called "HDTV" and most broadcasts are in 720p or 1080i. I personally prefer 720p but there's not really much difference.

Satellite generally has the worst (i.e. most compressed) HD signals. Cable is generally a little better and over-the-air broadcasts are the best.
I'm not real hip on all the different broadcast. Personally I don't see much difference between 720p and 1080i myself.. but I'll tell you what.. I don't see how it can get much better than some of the football games I've seen on DirecTV in Hi-Def, or any of the HD broadcasts I've seen. Just freakin' looks awesome.. just wish I had more HD channels.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:40 AM   #13
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Thanks for the info guys. So I assume that the new 1080p TV's don't buy you much for "broadcast" HD and are really meant for blueray or HDDVD? That is, nobody broadcasts anything in 1080p, is this right?

Last question. I have a Sony WEGA tube TV about 7 years old. When I do go HD, what should I do with my old TV? It's big and heavy and I guess it isn't worth anything. Maybe I should donate it to a church or something.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:06 PM   #14
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Nobody broadcasts in 1080p yet because it takes up too much bandwidth and the benefits aren't noticeable to hardly anybody.

I prefer a progressive signal of lower resolution to an interlaced signal of (sort of) higher resolution because I notice interlaced motion blur more than I notice any added clarity from the resolution, especially for something like a film transfer that comes across at 24 frames per second and has to go on a 30 or 60 fps display. 1080i and 720p are almost exactly the same amount of screen information, I just prefer it to be non-interlaced.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:04 PM   #15
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Thanks for the info Joe. By the way, have you seen the commercial with the large chested blonde in a cowboy hat that says "It's broadcast in 1080i! I so don't know what that means, but I won't it!" Pretty funny.... Can't even remember what the commercial was for. LOL