Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > World News

Notices

Old 06-13-2007, 02:59 PM   #16
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle
When my 18 y/o son was in sixth grade at Evangel and it was time for their graduation, we (the parents who organized graduation) let the students in the classes vote on several "awards" for the students. There was one award per student. The awards were things like "Most Likely to Suceed", "Most Likely to be a Doctor, "Most likely to marry a Hollywood Star", "Most likely to be a rocket scientist" and etc. You get the idea. The awards were all on the positive side and none of them poked fun at anyone. Each student received an award at graduation and they were so excited to see which one they won. It was a positive experience for all even the boys and girls who were trouble makers all year long.

My whole point is there is a time and place for everything and some things have no place. Humiliating the point or even giving the merest hint of humiliation was unnecessary. If the boy was a behavior issue, he should have been dealt with at the appropriate time and not like this. None of us would like our children being treated that way and you know it.
Belle, please clarify this: your 18 y/o in the sixth grade. That does not sound right. Never mind I think I got it now. Too much sun today, brain not working right yet.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:08 PM   #17
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by piemaker720
As for as the clowning part they could have said it in a manner that showed they were joking with him not cutting him down which seems to be the way he took it. Also the teachers were told to apolgize for hurting his feelings and they won't, so that tells me they were not playing with him.
who knows "how they said it" I suspect the whole thing was meant as a joke.. I wonder if any other kids got any "awards" as well ?
I swear, I don't see the big deal. Heck, the kid might even had thought it was funny "at the time" joking around.. then momma finds out about it and has the freakin' fit.. ?? who knows ?

Both my boys have a very good sense of humor.. I guarantee something like this wouldn't find them coming home complaining about it.. but joking about it.

I will say, this is all dependent on the "Delivery/context" etc.. which we all know nothing about.
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:20 PM   #18
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight
who knows "how they said it" I suspect the whole thing was meant as a joke.. I wonder if any other kids got any "awards" as well ?
I swear, I don't see the big deal. Heck, the kid might even had thought it was funny "at the time" joking around.. then momma finds out about it and has the freakin' fit.. ?? who knows ?

Both my boys have a very good sense of humor.. I guarantee something like this wouldn't find them coming home complaining about it.. but joking about it.

I will say, this is all dependent on the "Delivery/context" etc.. which we all know nothing about.
I know from experience that there are times in school that a child's feeling get hurt by teachers and other kids and the child never told anyone. Then they wonder why kids do school shooting. They hold that angue inside, but if the complain then you say they are a wuss. That the parents [excuse me moms] are making to much of this. Your boys might have a good sense of humor but I bet their feelings can still be hurt.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:22 PM   #19
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Now school shootings are my fault ?

Look.. I don't feel like discussing this much more, without any of us knowing the context of all this. If the kid was shy, or already had issues etc.. then I could see this being a problem.. But i've been coming at this, as "what if" this kid WAS the class clown.. and IF that WAS the case.. then he should be able to take a joke, or quit cuttin' up in class, and wasting everyone else's time. That's all I'm saying.

But we don't know if he was the class clown etc.. it happens all the time.. student screams "Teacher called me a horses' ass!" turns out he was acting like an ass.

I'm talking particulars.. and we don't have any yet in this story.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:28 PM   #20
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
I still don't get the "have children" one so I can't comment on its cruelty, but a "Sir Clowns a lot award" isn't exactly "humiliating."

And saying you'll never have children isn't "exactly" calling someone ugly or impotent either...
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:40 PM   #21
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:

Look.. I don't feel like discussing this much more, without any of us knowing the context of all this. If the kid was shy, or already had issues etc.. then I could see this being a problem.. But i've been coming at this, as "what if" this kid WAS the class clown.. and IF that WAS the case.. then he should be able to take a joke, or quit cuttin' up in class, and wasting everyone else's time. That's all I'm saying.

But we don't know if he was the class clown etc.. it happens all the time.. student screams "Teacher called me a horses' ass!" turns out he was acting like an ass.

No LN school shootings are not your, nobody said they were. The only thing I said alot of them happen because the kids have underlying anger. I also agree there may be two sides of this story. But if the teachers don't tell their side then uhmm!
Old 06-13-2007, 04:44 PM   #22
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
Obvious you didn't read the story, because those of us who did KNOW how the kid felt from his own testimony:

"I was standing in the middle of (the two teachers), and they (were) reading them off," he said. "Everyone was laughing."

Matt felt humiliated.

"They (were) putting us down and everything," he said. "That is not what their job is for, to put kids down. They are supposed to teach us."

Does it still sound like he thought it was funny?
Quote:
Yeah, I bet you thought it was funny and your Dad would have too. I suspect that's a learned trait because it's not one exhibited by my family, by anyone I know, and by anyone participating in this conversation other than you and Joe....and we already know he neglects his children.
Quote:
Again, I disagree, there's no "nice" way to say you either lack the ability to reproduce or you are so unattractive that no woman would want to sleep with you.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:48 PM   #23
BrainSmashR
Banned

Quote:

Very good point.

However a child being an ass DOES NOT give the teacher the right to call him an ass in front of the entire classroom....and in that particular example, the use of profanity by a teacher in front of the student would indeed warrant some type of reprimand.

You punish children for bad behavior, you reward them for good behavior, under no circumstance should you intentionally humiliate them.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:04 PM   #24
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
>And saying you'll never have children isn't "exactly" calling someone ugly or impotent either...

I know. Maybe he got kicked in the nuts. Maybe he said he was never going to have children. Maybe his class did the flour bag baby thing and he left his out in the rain. There are plenty of ways this could be the most non-offensive thing in the world. Without knowing anything else about this I can't say whether or not it's an over-reaction.

I'm pretty sure this is an over-reaction to a "class clown" award.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:38 PM   #25
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
Very good point.

However a child being an ass DOES NOT give the teacher the right to call him an ass in front of the entire classroom....and in that particular example, the use of profanity by a teacher in front of the student would indeed warrant some type of reprimand.
In this day of political correctness and all that entails, no it's not a good idea.. But I've also know PLENTY of brilliant/excellent teachers.. who aren't afraid to do just that.. and when some kid is wasting MY time and everyone else's by acting an ass.. I appreciate a teacher who is willing to call them on it.. PC be damned..

Just as when you got some kid walking around school with his pants hangin' around his knees.. I appreciate the teacher who will call them on that too.. public humiliation being a good starting point.

So we'll just have to disagree on that one.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:35 PM   #26
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
In this day of political correctness and all that entails, no it's not a good idea.. But I've also know PLENTY of brilliant/excellent teachers.. who aren't afraid to do just that.. and when some kid is wasting MY time and everyone else's by acting an ass.. I appreciate a teacher who is willing to call them on it.. PC be damned..

Just as when you got some kid walking around school with his pants hangin' around his knees.. I appreciate the teacher who will call them on that too.. public humiliation being a good starting point.

I am with you LN. If you have a kid that is a major problem then call a spade a spade and do not be a enabler. This is one of those deals where all the facts may not be on the table.
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:48 AM   #27
BrainSmashR
Banned

Quote:

Just as when you got some kid walking around school with his pants hangin' around his knees.. I appreciate the teacher who will call them on that too.. public humiliation being a good starting point. I would even approve of 10 licks from the paddle every time said student was being disruptive.

If this child has a habitual problem with disrupting the classroom, then you ask the parents to seek a medical solution or you send the child to an alternative school where his actions will no longer disrupt the other students.

As an adult, you should not hold a grudge then intentionally humiliate a 12 year old child.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:55 AM   #28
BrainSmashR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
>And saying you'll never have children isn't "exactly" calling someone ugly or impotent either...

I know. Maybe he got kicked in the nuts. Maybe he said he was never going to have children. Maybe his class did the flour bag baby thing and he left his out in the rain. There are plenty of ways this could be the most non-offensive thing in the world. Without knowing anything else about this I can't say whether or not it's an over-reaction.

I'm pretty sure this is an over-reaction to a "class clown" award.
For a 12 year old child it's certainly not an over reaction. Nor is the request for an apology....

"I'm sorry my actions hurt your feelings, that was not my intention"....case closed, issue resolved, we don't have to listen to some guy to lazy to use a car seat tell us he doesn't see what's wrong here either.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:30 AM   #29
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
If this child has a habitual problem with disrupting the classroom, then you ask the parents to seek a medical solution or you send the child to an alternative school where his actions will no longer disrupt the other students.

As an adult, you should not hold a grudge then intentionally humiliate a 12 year old child.
That's how I feel too, Brain. Teachers are NOT entitled to payback when a particular student has given them trouble throughout a year, no matter how troublesome they were. Teachers are suppose to be more adult than that. Teachers are suppose to teach the kids, not just math and English, but aid parents in teaching social etiquette as well. This etiquette includes the old axiom, "Vengance is a vicious cycle." If kids see a teacher disregarding this, then they too will disregard it.

Public humiliation teaches kids that it's ok to bully others. If a kid has his pants "sagging," yank him aside and tell him to pull them up or 3 day's detention. There is no excuse for public humiliation of ANY student, be it at the hands of teachers or other students.