Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Culture & Community

Notices

Old 07-04-2007, 09:11 AM   #1
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 316 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Red Skelton touched the hearts of millions of Americans with his "Pledge Of Allegian

Click image for larger version

Name:	flag_2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	868

On January 14, 1969, Red Skelton touched the hearts of millions of Americans with his "Pledge Of Allegiance", in which he explained the meaning of each and every word. Red Skelton's recitation of the "Pledge of Allegiance" was twice read into the Congressional Record of the United States and received numerous awards.

RED SKELTON: "I remember this one teacher. To me, he was the greatest teacher, a real sage of my time. He had such wisdom. We were all reciting the Pledge Of Allegiance and he walked over. Mr. Lasswell was his name... He said": "I've been listening to you boys and girls recite the Pledge Of Allegiance all semester and it seems as though it is becoming monotonous to you. If I may, may I recite it and try to explain to you the meaning of each word:

I
Me; an individual; a committee of one.

Pledge
Dedicate all of my worldly goods to give without self-pity.

Allegiance
My love and my devotion.

To the Flag
Our standard; Old Glory ; a symbol of Freedom; wherever she waves there is respect, because your loyalty has given her a dignity that shouts, Freedom is everybody's job.

of the United
That means that we have all come together.

States
Individual communities that have united into forty-eight great states. Forty-eight individual communities with pride and dignity and purpose. All divided with imaginary boundaries, yet united to a common purpose, and that is love for country.

And to the Republic
Republic -- a state in which sovereign power is invested in representatives chosen by the people to govern. And government is the people; and it's from the people to the leaders, not from the leaders to the people.

For which it stands
One Nation
One Nation -- meaning, so blessed by God.

Indivisible
Incapable of being divided.

With Liberty
Which is Freedom; the right of power to live one's own life, without threats, fear, or some sort of retaliation.

And Justice
The principle, or quality, of dealing fairly with others.

For All
For All -- which means, boys and girls, it's as much your country as it is mine. And now, boys and girls, let me hear you recite the Pledge of Allegiance:

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic, for which it stands; one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

Since I was a small boy, two states have been added to our country, and two words have been added to the Pledge of Allegiance: Under God. Wouldn't it be a pity if someone said that is a prayer, and that would be eliminated from schools, too?"

Click image for larger version

Name:	Red.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	869
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:12 PM   #2
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Oh what a true patriot!

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:29 AM   #3
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 316 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
"The greater your capacity to love, the greater your capacity to feel the pain."
I think Red Skelton could relate to that Pokie. Nice signature you have. I wounder where Jennifer found that
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:27 AM   #4
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
I believe Jen stated this after Brad Pitt stomped all over her heart and left her for another woman! But I have been way more fortunate and blessed. Mine refers to life's loves and pains in general and my being a compassionate person etc....I'm sure you understand!

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:33 AM   #5
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

I find your elegance and grace a good addition to this board Good post there Pokie.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:11 PM   #6
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Here it is in Red's own voice:'

rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:19 PM   #7
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Great post rhertz Very moving We need more patriots like Red Skelton in this day and age.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:02 PM   #8
Huldah

Rep Power: 0 Huldah is just really nice Huldah is just really nice Huldah is just really nice Huldah is just really nice
Thumbs up

I heard this replayed on the radio yesterday (4 July). It was very moving.

Huldah
Huldah is offline   Reply With Quote