Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Food & Dining

Notices

Old 10-01-2006, 01:59 AM   #1
RABoy

Rep Power: 0 RABoy is on a distinguished road RABoy is on a distinguished road
The BEST Fish

Ok, when it comes to eating places, I have to share this with everyone :

The absolutely BEST fried catfish that I have found is at Rolling in the Dough. It's a great bakery (really good cakes and cookies) that began serving box lunches and simply took off from there! It's located near the corner of Capt Shreve and E Preston in Shreveport. By the way, if you like a BIG burger, they make a delicious one - oh, and it's BIG !

Where do you go for fish?
RABoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 11:39 PM   #2
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
I'll check it out. I love fried catfish. We drove out to Waskom a few months ago to "David Kings Catfish Village" and I was disappointed. I miss the old Cypress Bayou restaurant which burned down years ago. In my book the mark of a good catfish restaurant is when they offer both whole catfish or filets.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:03 PM   #3
scarlett
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 233 scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to scarlett Send a message via AIM to scarlett Send a message via Yahoo to scarlett
I personally won't eat seafood in a restaurant only crawfish and have my reasons. The best fish out there is Flounder and if you can find someone that knows how to stuff it, you will never eat anything else.
scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:14 PM   #4
RABoy

Well Rolling doesn't offer whole, and they serve it only for lunch Tue-Sat and til 7pm on Fri. But it's hand's down, the best in town, that I have found. Unfortunately, because it's so good, I find it hard to eat catfish elsewhere.

If you're ever on the road to New Orleans from Jackson, MS (I-59, I think), there's a small hole-in-the-wall place just before you get on the really long bridge to I-10 called Middendorf's (that may be misspelled). I've only been once, but I had their extra thin crispy catfish - EXCELLENT!!!

Another place I haven't been to in years is Cypress Inn in Monroe, not too far from the airport. It may not even still be open, but their whole catfish is delish.

You see, I obviously need some other options around town!

Scarlett, let me know about the stuffed flounder. How's it stuffed and where have you found it?
Old 10-03-2006, 09:14 AM   #5
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Various

That is I-55. I-59 runs from New Orleans to Meridian and Birmingham.

Also, catfish isn't seafood, it's freshwater fish and 99.99999999% of the catfish served in restaurants is from commercial farms.

I miss Cypress Inn.

I used to think catfish was a pain to do, but I've done it myself a few times and it was really good and a lot less hassle than I thought it was going to be. I thought it was going to be a huge deal because the only home-cooked fried catfish I've ever had was when my uncle would make it in a giant 5 gallon pot when he was cooking for 20 or 30 people. I didn't know it scaled down well. it does.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 03:53 PM   #6
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
Also, catfish isn't seafood, it's freshwater fish and 99.99999999% of the catfish served in restaurants is from commercial farms.
I believe you are correct about restaurants serving farm raised freshwater catfish. However just for the record... there are many species of both freshwater and saltwater catfish. I've never heard of anyone eating a saltwater catfish! We used to catch "hard head" catfish down at Grand Isle at night when we were bored. Looks sort of like a opelousas cat. But nobody eats them.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 04:21 PM   #7
buzzyboy

Rep Power: 0 buzzyboy has a spectacular aura about buzzyboy has a spectacular aura about buzzyboy has a spectacular aura about
Fish ratings (for eating)

Fried:

Brim: excellent
Crappie: very good
catfish (whole) good
catfish filets: good if curled
catfish filets: poor if thick
Bass: fair

Not fried:
Sea Bass: Excellent
Tilapia: fair
salmon: very good
Grouper: very good
mahi mahi: poor
swordfish: poor
halibut: fair
Rainbow trout: good
buzzyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:23 AM   #8
geodood
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 geodood has a spectacular aura about geodood has a spectacular aura about
Here's my vote:

I love eating fish and anytime I travel, I like to try something new when I can.

Fried:
I'm with buzzyboy. There is no sense in frying anything else but brim, perch, and catfish. As a child, I remember my dad biting down on the tail (the crunchest part) during fish fries at local lakes and ponds. I don't order fried foods at restaurants (normally). It's just not the same.

Not fried:
Sea Bass: Excellent (although I hear Chilean sea bass is endangered)
Tilapia: poor (I just don't like farm raised fish, especially redfish)
salmon: My fault, I just don't like Salmon at all for some reason. I'm sure I'm missing out.
Grouper: Excellent, especially yellow tail and scamp
Sablefish: Very good
Amberjack: OK
mahi mahi: OK to Very Good (depends on circumstances)
Almost any Hawaiian fish (opakapaka, pink snapper, ahi, etc.) Excellent
swordfish: fair (too tough and dry)
halibut: fair (same as swordfish)
Rainbow trout: Good
flounder and sole: Good

Raw: (sushi and sashimi)
Ahi Tuna: Excellent (my absolute favorite)
Yellow Tail Tuna: Very good
Albacore (White Tuna): poor
Salmon: I won't eat it, my bad
Pufferfish: That can kill you! LOL
geodood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:21 AM   #9
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Fried Fish

If you ever find yourself having brunch at Brennan's (is it open again?) and want to try something better than the Eggs Benedict, get the Eggs St. Charles. It's the exact same dish except it replaces the english muffin (technically a Holland rusk but who ever says that?) and Canadian bacon with a piece of fried fish, usually trout. It doesn't sound that super, but it really is.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:49 PM   #10
RABoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geodood
Not fried:
Sea Bass: Excellent (although I hear Chilean sea bass is endangered)
Tilapia: poor (I just don't like farm raised fish, especially redfish)
salmon: My fault, I just don't like Salmon at all for some reason. I'm sure I'm missing out.
Grouper: Excellent, especially yellow tail and scamp
Sablefish: Very good
Amberjack: OK
mahi mahi: OK to Very Good (depends on circumstances)
Almost any Hawaiian fish (opakapaka, pink snapper, ahi, etc.) Excellent
swordfish: fair (too tough and dry)
halibut: fair (same as swordfish)
Rainbow trout: Good
flounder and sole: Good

Raw: (sushi and sashimi)
Ahi Tuna: Excellent (my absolute favorite)
Yellow Tail Tuna: Very good
Albacore (White Tuna): poor
Salmon: I won't eat it, my bad
Pufferfish: That can kill you! LOL
OK, a lot of this I have not had the pleasure of trying. I'm willing to try most all of it, but the sushi still scares me a little. I suppose I just need to step out of my "fried catfish-to-go-box" and try something new.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:05 PM   #11
scarlett
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 233 scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to scarlett Send a message via AIM to scarlett Send a message via Yahoo to scarlett
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABoy

Scarlett, let me know about the stuffed flounder. How's it stuffed and where have you found it?
I am from South La and there were locals there that would stuff them that the family knew. I don't know if I am correct with this but years ago I recall someone saying Savoie's had stuffed flounder but I maybe wrong. I never ate it there and never asked for it when I ate there. I am really picky about seafood as I stated I get it fresh and cook it myself or I don't eat it.
scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 11:52 PM   #12
RABoy

THANKS TO ALL! With everyone's guidance & suggestions, I've come to the conclusion that if I want to try it and I'm not going anywhere (and let's face it, I'm not anytime soon), I'm going to have to cook it myself! YIKES!!!
Old 10-16-2006, 06:01 PM   #13
geodood
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 geodood has a spectacular aura about geodood has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by RABoy
THANKS TO ALL! With everyone's guidance & suggestions, I've come to the conclusion that if I want to try it and I'm not going anywhere (and let's face it, I'm not anytime soon), I'm going to have to cook it myself! YIKES!!!
Without going far, or spending way too much money, here is one of my favorite fish "experiences". At about 5pm (right when they open) I dash out to Shogun in Bossier and sit by myself at the sushi bar for a late snack. This is a covert operation mind you (no family) The "spicy tuna salad" is $9.95, if I am not mistaken. Alex is the sushi chef. I order either green tea or a dry martini. (LOL, No Coke or Dr. Pepper) Try eating it with chopsticks and if you are lucky, maybe there will be a Japanese baseball game on the flatscreen. If you absolutely don't want to try "raw tuna", then a good (cooked) substitute would be "Alex's spicy seafood salad" which is not on the menu. Various creatures that swim or crawl provide lots of chewy goodness in his special creation. Both are a little spicy which I like. Neither of these are true or traditional "sushi", but are more aply termed "sushi-like" or "neo-sushi" or something like that. (LOL, American sushi probably)
geodood is offline   Reply With Quote