Go Back   Shreveport.com > SBLive! Groups > Historic Photos

Notices

Old 09-01-2007, 08:04 AM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Comments on: pak-a-sak

Reader comments and feedback for the pak-a-sak photo.
This image is part of the Historic Photos photo gallery

163ekings 1953 Pak-A-Sak stores man oh man that's the easiest shopping in all the...Once there were over a trillion Pak-A-Saks. Bacon's Studio photo General Collection Imagine back. Open the lid to that chest cooler that revealed piles of cold cokes, we call all sodas cokes. Regular and king size coke, brownies, nehis, frostie root beer...A Saturday routine was to rise early and go coke bottle huntin' and I don't mean on people's carports, we had more class than that. Well, maybe in desperate times we did kinda mosey up in someones yard and...Most times though the pickins' was plentiful and although it would take the better part of the day we could end up with a couple dozen at two cents apiece. That's dern near fifty cents! Pak-A-Sak bound to cash 'em in. I'd even take them in the backroom and rack them. I know what kind of soda bottle goes in what kind of shell, to this day. When the deposit went up to a nickel a bottle, well that was manna from heaven. Twenty bottles would get you a Duncan Yo-Yo.
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 08:11 AM   #2
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
This photo is way before my time but the Pak-a-sak stores were around in my youth. Buy one and get one free firecrackers On our bikes looking for coke bottles to turn in for that nickel which would buy something back then.
I remember when they introduced Icees and were giving away samples in little baby Icee cups. Do not forget cut out and save coupons on the cup
Click image for larger version

Name:	icee.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	1441
I never cared for the suicide
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:16 AM   #3
salguodgrubmab
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 0 salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough
I watched them bring in the icee machine. Waited for it to get frozenated. Got the very first sample. Brain frozen I set out to spread the word. Door to door. That Pak-a-Sak went through some samples that day. They also had bar-b-que sandwiches. With a buck you could get two of them, a sixteen ounce coke, a bag of cheezy-poofs and a delectable hostess treat of some type and still end up with about eight cents in your hip pocket.
salguodgrubmab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:55 AM   #4
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 268 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
ol' pak-a-sak.. my dad worked at one of those in Bossier , I think some time around the late 40's.. before he headed off to college at LSU. Somewhere in a scrapbook somewhere, we've got some pak-a-sak matchbooks and other such stuff. I've been looking for it, but no luck yet.
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 11:44 AM   #5
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 294 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbl_admin View Post
163ekings 1953 Pak-A-Sak stores man oh man that's the easiest shopping in all the...Once there were over a trillion Pak-A-Saks. Bacon's Studio photo General Collection Imagine back. Open the lid to that chest cooler that revealed piles of cold cokes, we call all sodas cokes. Regular and king size coke, brownies, nehis, frostie root beer...A Saturday routine was to rise early and go coke bottle huntin' and I don't mean on people's carports, we had more class than that. Well, maybe in desperate times we did kinda mosey up in someones yard and...Most times though the pickins' was plentiful and although it would take the better part of the day we could end up with a couple dozen at two cents apiece. That's dern near fifty cents! Pak-A-Sak bound to cash 'em in. I'd even take them in the backroom and rack them. I know what kind of soda bottle goes in what kind of shell, to this day. When the deposit went up to a nickel a bottle, well that was manna from heaven. Twenty bottles would get you a Duncan Yo-Yo.
Oh the memories. I used to go bottle hunting at "sandy banks" along the railroad track next to spring lake. 3 cents a bottle can sure add up! I was happy if I got a coke and a candy bar out of the deal. But like fishing, some days were better than others.

I think I called Circle K's and 7-11's by their original name Pak-a-sac until at least the late 90's.. As for the sodas, I also remember RC cola and "Apple Beer" which was like apple flavored ginger ale. We thought we were cool drinking "beer" and chewing candy cigarettes. Also Tab and Fresca's come to mind but those were diet drinks that I didn't like as a kid. But the bottles were good anyway.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote