Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Government & Politics

Notices

Old 10-17-2006, 07:34 PM   #1
MattyMattyChooChoo

Rep Power: 0 MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice
Smile Louisiana Politics

I just moved to Shreveport from Houston and am having a time trying to understand politics in Louisiana. In Texas, if you are a Democrat, you believe this and that. Same for Republicans. The lines are basically the same as the average of national politicians. Louisiana seems a little different.

The Governor is a Democrat, yet just signed a full abortion ban. The state seems to be very religious, but Democrat, and also pro-2nd Amendment. (I say seems a lot because I haven't done any real research.)

I will still be voting in my old district in Texas (which is entirely confusing being Tom DeLay's old district), but I would really like to know about Louisiana politics, economy, education, Shreveport issues, state issues, etc.
MattyMattyChooChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:45 PM   #2
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMattyChooChoo
I just moved to Shreveport from Houston and am having a time trying to understand politics in Louisiana. In Texas, if you are a Democrat, you believe this and that. Same for Republicans. The lines are basically the same as the average of national politicians. Louisiana seems a little different.

The Governor is a Democrat, yet just signed a full abortion ban. The state seems to be very religious, but Democrat, and also pro-2nd Amendment. (I say seems a lot because I haven't done any real research.)

I will still be voting in my old district in Texas (which is entirely confusing being Tom DeLay's old district), but I would really like to know about Louisiana politics, economy, education, Shreveport issues, state issues, etc.
I have to say, I've wondered the same in times past. I do believe that the state of Louisiana has voted Republican in most presidential elections, but if I had to guess, I think lately this has not been by any 'large' majority ? And I also think there's been it's fair share of Democrat Governors... ?

Also, being this far south, it doesn't surprise me that someone, regardless of Democrat or Republican, would be against abortion, or against any additional gun control. not if they wanted to win another election.

For the record, regardless of my feelings about abortion, I feel the decision is up to the Woman's right to choose.

OH.. and WELCOME TO SHREVEPORT!
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:04 PM   #3
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Yes, Matty, welcome to the "Sportsman's Paradise"...our own little dank, sticky, muggy, boggy, buggy, swampy, sweaty little utopia...hmm, I'm getting a touch of deja vu here...oh well, anyways Matty, we Louisianians value our guns as much and probably more than anyone else. And we got VERY pissed off when our wayward governor, Kathleen Blabbineaux Blanco, went along with New Orlean's treasonous mayor Ray Nagin's disgusting and highly unconstitutional push to disarm the citizen's after Katrina swept thru. And Matt, we made damn sure that'll never happen again. You can thank the NRA for that.
Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 07:26 AM   #4
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Trying to find the middle of the road

LA being a red state with blue politicians. They have always tried to stay
in office by pulling to the middle. I think it is getting harder all the time
to stay that way. Kathy Blanco needs to be making milk chocolate cookies
with Brother Nagin while south LA sinks in the mud. You know south LA never
had anything to do with the north part of the state until Katrina now they
need our tax revenue to rebuild there part of the state ? Blanco and Foster
neither one cared about north LA ! Bipartisan :-) Only thing that stays in
the middle of the road is the yellow stripe and dead armadillos !
I-S
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 06:05 PM   #5
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Isaac, you hit the nail right on the head, man.

Isaac Saxxon wrote:
Quote:
You know south La never had anything to do with the north part of the state until Katrina now they need our revenue to to rebuild their part of the state
When you're right, you're right...and you are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO right. Excellent point! Far as I'm concerned, its their problem. They made their bed, now they can sleep in it. The fact that Nagin was re-elected is proof that south La doesn't deserve one red cent from us.
Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:46 PM   #6
geodood
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 geodood has a spectacular aura about geodood has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen
Yes, Matty, welcome to the "Sportsman's Paradise"...our own little dank, sticky, muggy, boggy, buggy, swampy, sweaty little utopia....

What a perfect place to grow a Japanese maple!! utopia indeed!
geodood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:51 PM   #7
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
You know south LA never
had anything to do with the north part of the state until Katrina now they
need our tax revenue to rebuild there part of the state ?
Not just tax revenue. My homeowners insurance recently went up. I asked my agent why, and she went into some story about a special temporary tax (about $700 for me) to cover Katrina losses. I forget what the "assessment" is called. I asked if I would have to pay this if I lived in Waskom, TX and commuted to work, and she said no.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:03 PM   #8
Isabella
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 236 Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of
Now boys I would not group all of south La. in with New Orleans. New Orleans is unique.

I am a registered Democrat but have always voted for a Republican presidential candidate. However, if I liked a Democrat I would vote for them. State elections, I vote for the person, not the party. I am not for everything the Republican party supports, but after looking at both parties it is closer to what I believe.

You might say today I am not for either party. What I am for does not exist, which is honest politicians who do what is best for our country as a whole and not interested in doing what helps them get re-elected.

Last edited by Isabella; 10-19-2006 at 10:47 PM.
Isabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:06 PM   #9
Isabella
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 236 Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
Not just tax revenue. My homeowners insurance recently went up. I asked my agent why, and she went into some story about a special temporary tax (about $700 for me) to cover Katrina losses. I forget what the "assessment" is called. I asked if I would have to pay this if I lived in Waskom, TX and commuted to work, and she said no.
Where do you live and who do you have your insurance with? My insurance agent said mine was going up $140.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:43 PM   #10
kansast
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella
You might say today I am not for either party. What I am for does not exist, which is honest politicians who do what is best for our country as a whole and not interested in doing what helps them get re-elected.
Amen to that !
kansast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:45 PM   #11
kansast
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Where do you live and who do you have your insurance with? My insurance agent said mine was going up $140.
My insurance went down recently. they gave me a break because they cover my house and both my vehicles.

kansast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:51 PM   #12
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Well it was with Chubb. Now it's with Kemper which was cheaper to offset the rise. I live in Shreveport in a medium sized house but in more expensive neighborhood which I think affects property taxes, apprasials, premiums, and stuff like that.

I just don't see why my premium should go up nearly 25% because someone hundreds of miles away decided to build their home below sea level. On the other hand, I love all of Louisiana and New Orleans and wish the whole Katrina thing didn't happen. I guess it goes to a good cause, however I bet my premiums don't go back in a year or two as promised.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:46 PM   #13
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Texas taxes

I know several of my customers that live just over the Texas state line and
the money saved on taxes and insurance seems to be worth it. I live in Bossier City and I love where I live and the property taxes are not that bad.
You folks in Shreveport have the Hightower Hilton to pay for. I have my
business in Shreveport and I help pay too. I hope Shreveport's new mayor
will be fiscally conservative with our tax dollars. Nov just around the corner
and we shall see what the next leg of our trip is going to look like.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:29 PM   #14
Rough Rider
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 218 Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about
Regarding Home Owners Insurance

read today on shreveport times..
More homeowners insurance rate increases approved

the headline bummed me out.. but this sounds like a bit of better news for us here in North La anyway...

Quote:
Farmer's Insurance Exchange won approval of a new rate scheme for some 30,000 Louisiana homeowners that will range from 83 to 119 percent higher in coastal Louisiana, but a drop of 3 to 30 percent in North Louisiana.
Rough Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:48 PM   #15
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Property Taxes

I'm just psyched that Amendment 11 passed in the last election, it knocked $75K off the assessed value of my house. I've been paying full millage for 3 years ever since we moved ownership into a revocable trust.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote