Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Music

Notices

Old 05-30-2007, 12:15 PM   #16
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
I like talking about music. Just start a new thread and I'm sure you will get some good dialog flowing...

I wonder if it is true that Jazz is the only music genre that was totally born in the US... I once heard that but don't know if it is true or not.
I've heard that as well.. I always thought the claim a bit strange though..
Mississippi Blues started, well, in Mississippi and you got your Delta Blues, and your Chicago Blues and your Texas Blues, Cajun music.
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:23 PM   #17
guitarman
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 213 guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight
I've heard that as well.. I always thought the claim a bit strange though..
Mississippi Blues started, well, in Mississippi and you got your Delta Blues, and your Chicago Blues and your Texas Blues, Cajun music.
I love the Delta Blues and I am not sure where Jazz originated ? How do you start a thread ?
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:48 PM   #18
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman
I love the Delta Blues and I am not sure where Jazz originated ? How do you start a thread ?
Good ol' Delta Blues.. yes, a big fan here as well.
IF you want to start a new thread, click on the left where it says "Forums"

Browse down to where you'll see a list of "Public Forums" select the forum that you want to start a thread in.. like the "Music" forum. Once in the Music forum, at the top of the page you'll see a link for "New Thread"

Old 05-30-2007, 01:41 PM   #19
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
I like Bluegrass music and some of the old harmony groups. I like the new SBRadio and hope to see more local music played there. Great job SBL on all the new changes.
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:06 PM   #20
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold
Steel Drum Music and Pink Floyd. Nothing like the Steel Drum to get you into the island mood Mon.
purpahurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:32 PM   #21
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpahurl
Steel Drum Music and Pink Floyd. Nothing like the Steel Drum to get you into the island mood Mon.
Floyd... Yeah we need some Pink Floyd lyrics in the lyrics thread.. BRB
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:58 PM   #22
guitarman
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 213 guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold
Slide guitar and six string are a great mix. Nothing to fast with a bit of harmonica too. I love the Delta Blues
Chris Thomas King from Baton Rouge his daddy owned the Blue Box there for many a year.

Moonshine Whiskey - Outta be a crime
When I start drinkin' - I'm bound to lose my mind
Oh Brother got to get it a few more time

Now what's that smokin' - Yonder cross the hill
Looks like our secret hideaway - We had so many years
John Law done come and run us way from here

chorus
------
He burned down the liquor store
He burned down the liquor store
John Law burned down the liquor store
John Law burned down the liquor store
Well, that bootleg whiskey - Where we gonna go?

Workin' in the fields - All the hot long day
Looks like our secret hideaway - Gone by the way
And now I feel I'm drinkin'my own tears

He turned water to whiskey - That's what the preacher say
Lord I need a miracle - To get me thru the day
Muddy water come and wash my blues away

chorus
------

John law didn't mind us - Having a little fun
Cause when we made money - He would get him some
The joint will rock un - til the morning comes

But when the money got low - He took me off to jail
Cauee i drink all my corn liquor - And had no more to sell
I ain't had no one - To get me out on bail - oh no

chorus
------

Good morning judge - What may be my fine
When the judge taste my whiskey - He didn't give me no time
He said could you make me some more of your moonshine - oh yeah
Old 05-30-2007, 07:52 PM   #23
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
This may surprise some of you coming from conservative Mama Hen Pokie...but I LOVE hard rock! Aerosmith, The Black Crowes, Guns N Roses, Bon Jovi and yes even Creed. I also love in the country genre Keith Urban,
Kenny Chesney, Rascal Flatts and Shania Twain...how diverse is that?
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:59 PM   #24
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocahontas
This may surprise some of you coming from conservative Mama Hen Pokie...but I LOVE hard rock! Aerosmith, The Black Crowes, Guns N Roses, Bon Jovi and yes even Creed. I also love in the country genre Keith Urban,
It first I may be a little shocked but considering that we may be nearly the same age, I'm not so surprised. Doesn't everyone love the songs of their youth?

I went to my fair share of rock concerts in my day: Van Halen, Head East, ZZ top, Styx, Black Oak Arkansas, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Lynard Skynard, I've seen em all...
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:15 PM   #25
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
If we are going back let me point out a few. Boston, Kansas,Steve Miller,Eagles and Styx to name a few and David Gilmour and Rodger Waters too. Super Tramp and The Cars Then there was Queen and Dire Straights too.
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:01 PM   #26
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold
Hey Issac, what about some Eddy Grant, " I love you Like a mango". Super Tramp and Queen yea. Don't forget Nitty Gritty, "sing the old rugged cross, chord with this now".
purpahurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:02 PM   #27
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocahontas
I must say I am impressed by the variety here Pokie!!!
Old 05-31-2007, 02:43 PM   #28
guitarman
Advanced Member

Stevie Ray Vaughn, B.B. King, John Lee Hooker, Ray Charles, Eric Clapton, Dr. John, Jimi Hendrix , Lightnin' Hopkins, Lead Belly and T-Bone Walker to name only a few.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:12 PM   #29
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman
Stevie Ray Vaughn, B.B. King, John Lee Hooker, Ray Charles, Eric Clapton, Dr. John, Jimi Hendrix , Lightnin' Hopkins, Lead Belly and T-Bone Walker to name only a few.
Got to love Ol' Lightnin', he's lookin' for a wig wearin' woman.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:23 AM   #30
guitarman
Advanced Member

“When a man get’s hairy, you know he need a shave. When a woman get’s musty, you know she needs to bathe.” – Buddy Brown’s Blues