Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Business & Finance

Notices

Old 07-24-2007, 07:55 PM   #16
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by piemaker720
Okay, now the truth comes out. The little people don't count and should not be allowed a raise of any sort. Even the people in fast foods that wait on your sorry butts. If a company owner would give raises without the government making them, then the government would not intervene.
Piemaker I understand how you feel, but here is the truth. "Supply and Demand" is your friend, if you understand how it works. Using your example, if there are lots of people available to work in fast food joints, and a limited number of joints to work at, then wages are low. What is the solution? To artificially manipulate the market? Or else perhaps a portion of these fast food workers could go to school and learn a trade that is more "rare" and therefore more valuable and demands a higher wage because the demand is high and supply is low. In other words, "supply and demand" works for people (careers) as well as goods. Now if somone *chooses* to stay in a high supply and low demand job, that is their business, but it doesn't have to be that way.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:03 PM   #17
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
I would like to know if there is anyone out there that is not an employer that is against the minimum wage raise.
Piemaker, my company failed to make a profit this month. I am not on the payroll and get paid only when I make money. This month, I worked for free! Or worse, I actually paid for the priviledge to do my job this month. Go figure.....

The only legal way to earn less than minimum wage is to work for oneself. I earned less than minimum wage this month. Where's my government mandated check? (But I'm not expecting one on any moral basis whatsoever)

Another reason minimum wage is a bad idea is that it excluded employers! (the one who should probably be protected the most since we hire others!)
Old 07-24-2007, 08:30 PM   #18
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
I have no employees and I oppose the minimum wage increase because I have at least a basic grasp of economics processes and how they affect the economy.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:32 PM   #19
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
>You know no one can talk to you. You are rude, sarcastic and annoying to all of us. So blow it out your BUTT.

In case anyone ever wants to know what the logical fallacy known as "ad hominem" looks like, here's a textbook example. When faced with questions the opponent either doesn't understand or doesn't want to answer, the opponent attacks the person that asked the question instead of answering the actual question.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:03 PM   #20
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
Piemaker I understand how you feel, but here is the truth. "Supply and Demand" is your friend, if you understand how it works. Using your example, if there are lots of people available to work in fast food joints, and a limited number of joints to work at, then wages are low. What is the solution? To artificially manipulate the market? Or else perhaps a portion of these fast food workers could go to school and learn a trade that is more "rare" and therefore more valuable and demands a higher wage because the demand is high and supply is low. In other words, "supply and demand" works for people (careers) as well as goods. Now if somone *chooses* to stay in a high supply and low demand job, that is their business, but it doesn't have to be that way.
I understand what you are trying to say but I still disagree. You say everyone that works for minimum wage should go to school and do better. What about the high school kids that work summers, nights or weekends or the college kids that work their way through school to buy books, pay tution, but they do not deserve a wage increase. What about a retired person that is trying to supplement their retirement income, they don't deserve a wage increase, they should get off their duff and go to school uh. It is not just about fast food jobs, what about Wal-Mart[ your elderly door greeters], your grocery store workers, your convience stores[gas] and so fourth. Then there is the CNA's that take care of your elderly, they don't deserve a wage increase and your elderly don't deserve to be taken care of. Your CNA's go to school, they are state licensed but alot don't make but minimum in small areas. There is a lot of companies that could give raises without being told to but they don't because they say that cuts into the profit, they just don't want to give a raise. So now what happens. My daughter works for Ryan's on Airline, They were just told they would not get any raise because of tips, they stay at $2.13 a hour. She goes to school. At first it was told fast food would go to $4.00 a hour, but guess what, I guess they don't deserve a raise. Supply and Demand, think, who's going to care for you in your golden age, hopefully you want have to be a people greeter.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:28 PM   #21
Isabella
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 236 Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of
Piemaker, it is rare people don't get raises after they have worked for a period of time. The mininum wage is a beginning wage. Normally, if you do a good job then your pay will increase over time. Why do you think college & high school students deserve to make as much as people with years of experience? They are learning how to work.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:44 PM   #22
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella
Piemaker, it is rare people don't get raises after they have worked for a period of time. The mininum wage is a beginning wage. Normally, if you do a good job then your pay will increase over time. Why do you think college & high school students deserve to make as much as people with years of experience? They are learning how to work.

This is true they may not need to make as much, I believe if a person stays loyal to a company they should gets raises. But this is the first raise in 10 years, I guess you think the economy has not risen in 10 years. I came from a small town where there was not enough jobs for workers, those companies did not give raises because they didn't have to. In a small town minimum wage is not just a starting wage, it is it. If everyone that had minmum wage jobs went to school to better their self who would then do the job, a retired elderly person that don't count. It may be rare for a person not to get a raise in a large city but it is in a small town. Then you have your CNA's that go to school and they start out at minimum wage. I will tell you because I have been there, It takes a special person to work in a nursing home, they really have to like the elderly and be dedicated, it take alot of patience, love and turning the other cheek to work there. They will never be paid enough in my book.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:41 PM   #23
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 261 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Personally, I'm glad minimum wage finally went up. The average cost of living is slowly rising and everyone needs a little bonus every now and then.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:23 PM   #24
Isabella
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 236 Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of
Where I live mostly students receive minimum wage. A greeter at WalMart are nomally retired persons. Why do you think greeting people should be a higher paying job? Most retired people have an income and this supplements their income and gives them something to do. Most people don't settle for minimum wage after they have been in the work force after a period of time. They will move to get a better job.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:35 PM   #25
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
I understand what you are trying to say but I still disagree. You say everyone that works for minimum wage should go to school and do better. What about the high school kids that work summers, nights or weekends or the college kids that work their way through school to buy books, pay tution, but they do not deserve a wage increase. What about a retired person that is trying to supplement their retirement income, they don't deserve a wage increase
OK, lets say that minimum wage goes up 5%. Now what is better? 100,000 people working making say $6 per hour or 95,000 people working making $6.30 per hour and 5,000 people laid off making nothing? Where do you presume the extra 5% comes from? Thin air? Out of the employer's pocket? What if he or she doesn't have it? What then? Shut down and lay off everyone? Is that fair?
Old 07-24-2007, 11:40 PM   #26
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
everyone needs a little bonus every now and then.
Everyone should get a bonus regardless of how many people want their job without a bonus? And regardless if they do a good job or not? I would say that a bonus under those circumstances nearly amounts to stealing.

On top of that, it shows quite a lack of faith in a person to believe they need the government to artificially increase their wage rather than the free market and the person's abilities set the price.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:42 PM   #27
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella
Where I live mostly students receive minimum wage. A greeter at WalMart are nomally retired persons. Why do you think greeting people should be a higher paying job? Most retired people have an income and this supplements their income and gives them something to do. Most people don't settle for minimum wage after they have been in the work force after a period of time. They will move to get a better job.

I beg to differ, if a retired person has 30 to 40 years paid on a house, they are not just going to move on a whime. Why do you think they don't deserve to get a raise in minimum wage. If a person has invested 30 to 50 years in a job to retire and they work to supplement their income, your saying they don't deserve it. Listen to the news it is filled with stories of elderly who can't afford their medicine on a fixed income or have trouble paying utilities on a fixed income because of high fuel cost. Besides you ask awhile ago why I thought a student deserved a higher wage, but you say you live in a place where mostly students recieve minimum wage, but they don't deserve a raise.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:44 PM   #28
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

>Personally, I'm glad minimum wage finally went up. The average cost of living is slowly rising and everyone needs a little bonus every now and then.

That's shows an incredible lack of understanding. You know one of the best ways to raise the cost of living? Increase the minimum wage.

The least productive members of our society just got raises. Everyone else just got a pay cut.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:56 PM   #29
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

<That's shows an incredible lack of understanding. You know one of the best ways to raise the cost of living? Increase the minimum wage>

What a joke, HaHa, very funny. The cost of living has been rising for several years with fuel adjustments on your lights. gas for your home, gas for your car and minimum wage ain't went up in 10 years. Funny!
Old 07-24-2007, 11:57 PM   #30
Isabella
Advanced Member

Rhertz, I agree it is not fair. An employer offers a job at a rate of pay he can afford. An individual has the right to accept it or look for a higher wage. If an employer does not give them a raise then the employee has the right to seek another job with higher pay. Me for instance cannot afford to pay someone over $6 to clean my house who works slowly. I will have to let them go. This person has no transportation and depends on employer to give them transportation. How many people are going to be willing to hire this person? She is much better off receiving minumum wage at $5.15 an hour than nothing. She also gets $350 in food stamps each month. I pay social security on her and do not deduct her part out of her pay. She pays no taxes. There is no way I am going to pay someone over $7 an hour to watch TV and do a job that takes 4 hours in 8 hours. I feed her and pay her while she eats, too. I have to hire another person to come every other week to do the work she does not do. I also clean up after her after she leaves. Some people don't deserve to be paid more and these are the people who will suffer. Pay should be determined on perfomance. My husband gets raises he never asks for because he is valuable to his employer.