Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Food & Dining

Notices

View Poll Results: How many of you ever chewed a piece of raw sugar cane?
Yes 9 81.82%
No 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. This poll is closed

Old 05-12-2007, 07:21 PM   #1
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
How many of you ever chewed a piece of raw sugar cane?

The homegrown article has me thinking. How many of you ever chewed a piece of raw sugar cane?
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 07:30 PM   #2
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
The homegrown article has me thinking. How many of you ever chewed a piece of raw sugar cane?
Use to get it at the Pak-a-sack out of a barrel on the front porch and take it home and daddy would take his pocket knife and cut it up for us kids. My time flies. You can get it at the farmers market some times. It was a time and what a time it was
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 07:37 PM   #3
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Yes indeed my grandfather would bring it to us and cut it up and we'd happily
chew away! Times were really much simpler then...I sure miss my grandfather and the innocence of childhood!
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 07:53 PM   #4
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 261 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Not me. I've never tried it.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:03 PM   #5
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
Not me. I've never tried it.
Well Anime it is about time for you to try it. Be sure and brush your teeth after you chew on it for a while it has lots of sugar.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 08:04 PM   #6
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
Yes many times. anyone ever hoed cotton too. I agree it was a much simpler time. We never went to Wal-mart and brought toys like they do now. Had picnics under a tree in the front yard.
piemaker720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 08:16 PM   #7
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by piemaker720
Yes many times. anyone ever hoed cotton too. I agree it was a much simpler time. We never went to Wal-mart and brought toys like they do now. Had picnics under a tree in the front yard.
I can remember picnics under the trees at my grandparent's place and they had a couple of Tonka trucks for the boys to play with. My grandmother also kept a big tin full of buttons and some needles and thread. We would string buttons for hours and then start over again.

Compare that to World of Warcraft, PSP, and iPods....
Old 05-12-2007, 08:22 PM   #8
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
Just remember those picnics, with the platter of fried chicken and piss pumkins [watermelon as you call it] and big coolers of lemonaide and tea on one end of the table. The softball for entertainment.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:30 PM   #9
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Just remember those picnics, with the platter of fried chicken and piss pumkins [watermelon as you call it] and big coolers of lemonaide and tea on one end of the table. The softball for entertainment.
My grandmother raised mint in her garden for the iced tea. Is it my imagination or have fried chicken pieces about doubled in size in the last 40 years? I never even see a fried "keel breast" any more. I figure it is either hormones or else they hybridized chickens with turkeys!
Old 05-12-2007, 08:32 PM   #10
Sheba
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 217 Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold
What an awesome childhood memory! Even now, my mom always beats my 11 year at checkers, and she is a whiz with a yo-yo. Amazes my kids because she is so good at those things. String tricks, too. She has a great time showing off for them!
Old 05-12-2007, 09:11 PM   #11
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

My grandfather lived in the middle of cotton an soybean fields. They were farmers. They lived in a 3 bedroom house with 7 kids. The parents in one, boys in one, girls the other. They had a spare bed set up in one corner of the living room for company. No air conditioner, slept with the windows open and no screens on them. They had an outhouse and you took a bath in a no.3 washtub on the back porch. And of coarse well water. they worked the fields and 2 girls would come in to cook lunch about 10:00 o'clock. They raised their own chickens, turkeys, geese. I remember well.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:31 AM   #12
Sheba
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 217 Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
My grandfather lived in the middle of cotton an soybean fields. They were farmers. They lived in a 3 bedroom house with 7 kids. The parents in one, boys in one, girls the other. They had a spare bed set up in one corner of the living room for company. No air conditioner, slept with the windows open and no screens on them. They had an outhouse and you took a bath in a no.3 washtub on the back porch. And of coarse well water. they worked the fields and 2 girls would come in to cook lunch about 10:00 o'clock. They raised their own chickens, turkeys, geese. I remember well.
Their stories amaze me!! My mom was a real coal miner's daughter. They were also share croppers at some point, too. Her work ethic is awesome, as well as her value for education. Just figures I'd be a teacher, I guess.

So if you've tried sugar cane, have you ever been to a cane grinding? Had cane syrup, eaten the candy that drops when they make the syrup? Simple treasures!
Old 05-13-2007, 06:45 AM   #13
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Sheesh.....

It's hard to believe that anyone can live in Louisiana and NOT have chewed on a piece of cane at least once....

Anime....have you simply passed on it, because surely you have to have at least seen it being "worked" at one of our numerous Louisiana culture festival held around the state?
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 03:19 PM   #14
SDBK

Rep Power: 0 SDBK has a spectacular aura about SDBK has a spectacular aura about
Yummmm!!! I have! LOVE it! It's been forever though. My dad used to have it all the time when I was a kid. Mmmm! I miss it!
I would like some of it! I'll have to be on the look out for it! Is it in season now?
Old 07-22-2007, 05:28 PM   #15
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBK
Yummmm!!! I have! LOVE it! It's been forever though. My dad used to have it all the time when I was a kid. Mmmm! I miss it!
I would like some of it! I'll have to be on the look out for it! Is it in season now?
I wouldn't be surprised if you found some at the farmers market. I will try to go next tues and be on the lookout.