Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > World News

Notices

Old 03-09-2007, 03:43 PM   #46
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
"Very good, now how many of them gave first-hand accounts? And while you're at it, explain why the Catholic Church decides which writing to include instead of including all of the "divinely inspired" works? Surely they have noting to hide?"

Sounds Like to me If it was up to Brainsmash, Christianity would be ended.

the explaination of the catholic church comment, they are humans interpreting the bible in their religion, right or wrong. this means their is human influence at play, including politics and infiltrators.

Their is a fine line between secularism and religion these days.... you make that abudantly clear, why don't you use dante's poem about hell next time or the kitchen sink......
I have no desire to see the end of Christianity....in due time it will fall by the wayside like the hundreds of beliefs that came before, and it's certainly better than faiths which condone jihad or virginal sacrifices. Never the less, it's still not any different than any other method of controlling the population through fear of consequences...basically terrorism.

I'd simply settle for an admission that your religion is based on faith alone. You believe because you want to believe, not because there are indisputable facts supporting your opinion.

As far as your "explanation" it's always been human interpretation. Even "divinely inspired" authors are still mere human beings interpreting a message they believe came from a higher power.

You're very close to what I'm leading you too, but some of you just refuse to see it.

Last edited by BrainSmashR; 03-09-2007 at 03:55 PM.
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 04:15 PM   #47
Neo
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 229 Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of
I agree, must beliefs are based on faith. this is due to the timeline based on the things of past, present, and the coming.

you must also concede that your basis of facts and the proofs and equations that back up the facts are all based on faith. You have faith the ones before that wrote facts and based their findings on other authors self proclaimed facts. You have faith that red is actually red, and the theory of light associations acting on the rods and cones of the eyes that you actually see red. All of this is based on secular mentality that if something is tested using science and equation can prove it, it is therefore fact. This is faith also, don't you agree.

Divine inspiration is based on my god directing a human being to display a work of greatness for those who choose to see it can be inspired as well.... it is not the other way around.
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:58 PM   #48
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 294 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmshr
The word "Bible" refers to the canonical collections of sacred writings of Judaism and Christianity. Are you trying to imply that this body of written works you refer to as The Bible isn't just another piece of literature?
Yes that is exactly what I am saying. Dr Seuss is literature. The Bible is The Word of God spoken through his devoted servants here on earth. I hope I am being clear enough in stating my belief.

Quote:
No, I used wikipedia to show that you haven't even attempted research on your side of "the story". It would the the equalivent of me arguing Religion without having first read the Bible.
Wikipedia is riddled with errors and is hardly a definitive resource. Just last week, Wikipedia had Cedric Glovers birthday listed as 1985 until someone fixed it to 1965 the other day. Who is to say this new date is right or wrong? Maybe it is 1955, who knows? The Bible doesn’t change like the wind.

Quote:
Very good, now how many of them gave first-hand accounts? And while you're at it, explain why the Catholic Church decides which writing to include instead of including all of the "divinely inspired" works? Surely they have noting to hide?
Many gave first-hand accounts. Works are only included after they are canonized, that is, deemed to be the true word of God after much scrutiny (in 180 degree contrast to wikipedia which accepts everything regardless of its nature)

Quote:
Numbers are important in quantifiable measurements, Like a pay-check. They do not prove right or wrong. One upon a time every black man in the United States was a slave.....did the number make it right? Did the number of people who believed in a flat-Earth make it right?
Numbers are a true indicator of right and wrong. Eventually numbers freed the slaves. It was numbers that proved the flat-earth theory wrong. Nobody ever said numbers are static. They change. If you are very sick and ask 10 doctors what is wrong, and 9 say you have disease “A” while 1 says you have disease “B”, chances are the truth lies with the opinion of the majority for that point in time. If numbers prove nothing, then what does point at the truth? Rhetoric? Whining? Posting it on the Internet?

Quote:
I see, so your contention, is that because of a single belief about the pyramid and in spite of the numerous works for art, literature, sculpture, etc. that the Egyptians were monotheistic?
I do not know how much knowledge the Egyptian workers had regarding the coming of Christ, but clearly the Pyramid’s designers had considerable knowledge of the coming of Christ. Also if you know anything about the Giza pyramid, clearly it was not designed by the same peoples who designed the other more primitive works (built both before and after the Giza pyramid)

Quote:
You're "banking" one it? I asked if YOU SPECIFICALLY have ever witnessed a miracle that could not be explained with a scientifically based cause and affect......now you're simply "banking" on one?
No, you asked:
Are you implying that any "miracle" you have witnessed doesn't have a scientifically related cause and affect?

I replied:
Yes, I am not only implying that, but banking on it as part of my faith.

I have witnessed many things that cannot be explained by current science based cause and effect. Doctors have documented sudden cures with no scientific explanation whatsoever. Some individuals have been documented with forms of ESP that cannot be explained by science. Yet Police sometimes use these individuals to located criminals or clues to solving a case. Such as finding a suspected murderer. Some of these things can be explained as “miracles” until such time (if ever) that science can model and explain it. Keep in mind that science and religion aren’t mutually exclusive by any stretch of the imagination. Science is a moving target and updated frequently just like a Wiki.

Quote:
So then you're saying that approximately 2/3rd's of the Earth is wrong because they are not Christians, yet you have trouble swallowing the concept of 2+ billion Christians being wrong?
The majority believe in the one God of Abraham. This includes Christians, Jews, and Muslims. Contrast that to the tiny fraction who believe in worshiping multiple gods or none at all. I have no problem swallowing the numbers.

Quote:
No one said it should, however it should have enlightened you to the point that you can't tell truth from fiction.
I am only enlightened by science when it can tell me something. Can science tell if the Bible is the true Word of God or fiction? At this time, perhaps not, but the chances are looking better all the time.

Quote:
When are you going to produce something that would constitute Evidence? So far you have Faith, and book chock full of heresay.
There is a good amount of scientific documentation supporting the Bible and its status for those who wish to seek it out:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Bible+Evidence

If you truly want evidence, Archaeological finds have confirmed what the Bible teaches. As archaeologists progress, they discover more and more evidence to support the Bible, and very little to debunk it. There are thousands of partial and complete copies of the Bible texts. These manuscripts are very ancient and they are available for inspection right now. Contrast that to literary works like the Iliad and Odyssey.

Quote:
I see, and what author witnessed the creation of the Earth and all of it's inhabitants again?
Well funny you should mention that. The Bible is the World of God spoken through his faithful servants over many years. The author of the Bible most assuredly witnessed the creation.

Quote:
I believe my intentions were quite clear. Where is your verifiable and undeniable evidence? Where are Jesus's bones? You're god saves souls, not bodies.....there should be remains.
The Bible clearly states that Jesus arose from the dead on the third day. (bones included) But even if that were not the case, and I had his bones in my possession, then I suspect you would want even more evidence such as genetic testing to prove the bones are whose I say they are.

If God or I or anyone had the obligation to prove his existence to you, then by what yardstick would you measure your own faith in God? Faith means belief in something, not proof of something. One only has to believe to have faith. Faith is not “in the pudding” so to speak.

Quote:
The difference between Religion and Myth is the number of current believers.
Uh Huh and the difference between a genius and a moron is the number of current IQ points….

Quote:
In a couple of thousand years, your decendents will laugh at your beliefs just as you laugh at the beliefs of your ancestors.
No doubt that is what some believed a couple of thousand years ago. Wrong so far. Check back in another couple of thousand, will ya?
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:09 PM   #49
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
I agree, must beliefs are based on faith. this is due to the timeline based on the things of past, present, and the coming.

you must also concede that your basis of facts and the proofs and equations that back up the facts are all based on faith. You have faith the ones before that wrote facts and based their findings on other authors self proclaimed facts. You have faith that red is actually red, and the theory of light associations acting on the rods and cones of the eyes that you actually see red. All of this is based on secular mentality that if something is tested using science and equation can prove it, it is therefore fact. This is faith also, don't you agree.

Divine inspiration is based on my god directing a human being to display a work of greatness for those who choose to see it can be inspired as well.... it is not the other way around.
No, my beliefs are not faith based. My beliefs are based on Science, and the fact that every "belief" can be replicated with like results on any corner of the globe. I don't have faith that red is read, I have the light spectrum and the testimony of numerous human beings and even some animals, and the ability to replicate those results anywhere on this planet at any time. It doesn't matter what faith you are or what term you use.....red is red just like a rose by any other name would still smell as sweet.

Now I admit that I DO think I understand where you are going with this, and I have pondered the concept somewhat myself....how do you know I'm not seeing green and I've just been taught to call it red. Except that's called color blindness....it's already been defined by science.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:19 PM   #50
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 318 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Who on this thread has read the entire Bible ?

Even if it was in sections or all at once. Cover to cover ? That would give our atheist counter parts a platform to argue from. To attack something you have not read start to finish is like me not reading Homer and saying the book sucks. The ancient Hebrew locked in the meaning on three levels. Acrostics where one and there is another one in the Assyrian Tablets that agree with the ancient Hebrew text not the new English translations which have disclaimers with them (King James) which state there are flaws in the translation. (1611 Version has disclaimer) I KNOW things that I have learned from reading the Bible twice and much more in study. This does not make me a expert but it does give me a base from to discuss with other adult Christians. I do not expect the Kenite (sons of Kain) to ever agree with the truth of the Bible for they are of their father and they do his (Satan) works and their agenda is to destroy Christianity any way they can. It will never happen and when we all do face our mortality I will turn to my God and Christ and the atheist can look to their mirror for that is all they have to find rest in a time of major trouble. I do pity those people but they will not be helped because they have had to drink from the cup of dregs which their leader gives them their leader being Beelzebub Yes Kain had children and he lived for over 700 years moving thru Babylon and into Russia and ended up in Mongolia and China and sired many children along the way and we still have that evil seed with us today and the harvest is near and the wheat and the tares (Kain seed) will be separated at that time by God. FYI my opinion !! Good book "Sargon the Magnificent" traces the seed line of Kain. So atheist you find your proof in a test tube I find my in my Bible and my heart as God will touch those that love Him. You may not have ever felt that touch and you will not with out reading and studying. It is kind of like having a child you just can not tell someone what it is like and how much love you feel for that child and God is the same way. We are all Gods children good and bad it is up to the individual to pick the road to life or the road to hell it is choice after all that is what everybody wants is freedom of choice.
Isaac the Saxxon
Post #700
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:40 PM   #51
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 294 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen
Tell me, Brain, have you ever heard of "Pascal's Wager"? Personally, I fully understood the tenets of Pascal's Wager long before I knew the concept had a name. Basically, "PW" exposes atheism for the utterly foolhardy practice that it is. In plain english, it means that you have absolutely NOTHING to lose by choosing to believe in a creator/supreme being, and EVERYTHING to gain. Ok, so here we are, locked into the mortal coil, now...in Christianity, for example, choosing not to believe in God is the one impardonable sin that will land one's miserable ass in eternal hot water, agreed? Ok, so if there really IS a Christian God, then choosing to believe in Him would seem to be the logical and intelligent thing to do, would it not? If it turns out theres no God then you've lost nothing, correct? This is the same conclusion even the most theologically ignorant soldier arrives at when he finds himself in combat. Its where the saying "ya wont find a single athiest in a foxhole" comes from! So, where does that leave us? Well, to my way of thinking, it means that there are no REAL atheists, only those who PROFESS to be atheists. Yes, there are those who profess atheism...right up until they find themselves confronting their own mortality, then they recant.

Good post, straight to the point, not painful to read.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:55 PM   #52
BrainSmashR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
Yes that is exactly what I am saying. Dr Seuss is literature. The Bible is The Word of God spoken through his devoted servants here on earth. I hope I am being clear enough in stating my belief.
You are being quite clear. Your implication is that one body of writing throughout all of history is NOT considered a work of literature.

Overlooking the obvious due to jealousy on behalf of your savior. The Bible is no different than any other book, it just means something different to Christians.

Quote:
Wikipedia is riddled with errors and is hardly a definitive resource. Just last week, Wikipedia had Cedric Glovers birthday listed as 1985 until someone fixed it to 1965 the other day. Who is to say this new date is right or wrong? Maybe it is 1955, who knows? The Bible doesn’t change like the wind.
You have failed to make the connection.

I'm not using wikipedia to prove my opinion, I'm using it to prove you haven't researched you side of the story because even wikipedia suggests that Homer was divinely inspired while your contention is he was not.

If I listed 10 other sources, you still wouldn't have debunked the concept that many believe Homer was divinely inspired, which IS the point, not whether or not Wikipedia is a creditable source. BTW, had you bothered to DO the research, you'd have noticed I copied the paragraph from Wikipedia however they are NOT the source of the information that I posted.

Morgan, Llewelyn, 1999. Patterns of Redemption in Virgil's Georgics (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press), p. 30.

Simply put, you're arguing a moot point that was never even intended to BE a point. You just saw an argument you thought you could win because of the source, damn the information provided, right?

Quote:
Many gave first-hand accounts. Works are only included after they are canonized, that is, deemed to be the true word of God after much scrutiny (in 180 degree contrast to wikipedia which accepts everything regardless of its nature)
Agreed, who gave the first-hand account of the creation of Earth and all of it's inhabitants?

Once again, you're arguing about wikipedia instead of keeping your eye on the ball. I could list 10 alternate sources and you still wouldn't have proved that some thought Homer was divinely inspired OR which author who witnessed the creation of the Universe, or the Earth, or even one single creature.

Quote:
Numbers are a true indicator of right and wrong. Eventually numbers freed the slaves. It was numbers that proved the flat-earth theory wrong. Nobody ever said numbers are static. They change. If you are very sick and ask 10 doctors what is wrong, and 9 say you have disease “A” while 1 says you have disease “B”, chances are the truth lies with the opinion of the majority for that point in time. If numbers prove nothing, then what does point at the truth? Rhetoric? Whining? Posting it on the Internet?
There were always more who opposed slavery than those who supported it. Thus, slavery wasn't ended by overwhelming numbers, but rather by intolerance and aggression by our northern brothers. As far as your doctor theory, again, you are dealing with a tangible object UNLIKE your religion, savor, etc.

Now, if the overwhelming number of Christians (2 billion) is one of the reasons your use to prove the existence of your savor and justify your beliefs. What's that say about the other 4 billion Earthlings who do not believe in Christianity, who say YOU are wrong while your measely 1/3 of the population says the entire rest of the plant is wrong....based on the numbers?

Sounds to me that you are practicing a double standard. Jealousy on behalf of your savior....again, that's zealotry.

Quote:
I do not know how much knowledge the Egyptian workers had regarding the coming of Christ, but clearly the Pyramid’s designers had considerable knowledge of the coming of Christ. Also if you know anything about the Giza pyramid, clearly it was not designed by the same peoples who designed the other more primitive works (built both before and after the Giza pyramid)
The pyramids took hundreds of years to build. Common sense should tell you they weren't designed by the same individuals. Furthermore, they were tombs for the pharaohs, and that's not a "belief" but rather a fact based on written history as well as recovered bodies.

The more likely story is that some Christian, relying on faith rather than fact, incorporated the concept you are talking about into his system of beliefs. Of course, at least the Catholic Church had enough sense to see the guy was full of crap. That's why you don't read about pyramids in the Bible even though they existed long before Jesus roamed the middle east.

Quote:
No, you asked:
Are you implying that any "miracle" you have witnessed doesn't have a scientifically related cause and affect?

I replied:
Yes, I am not only implying that, but banking on it as part of my faith.

I have witnessed many things that cannot be explained by current science based cause and effect. Doctors have documented sudden cures with no scientific explanation whatsoever. Some individuals have been documented with forms of ESP that cannot be explained by science. Yet Police sometimes use these individuals to located criminals or clues to solving a case. Such as finding a suspected murderer. Some of these things can be explained as “miracles” until such time (if ever) that science can model and explain it. Keep in mind that science and religion aren’t mutually exclusive by any stretch of the imagination. Science is a moving target and updated frequently just like a Wiki.
Right I asked "Are you implying that any "miracle" you have witnessed doesn't have a scientifically related cause and affect?

Medicine is not an exact science. In laymens terms, something man doesn't currently have the knowledge to explain does NOT suggest divine intervention, but rather a lack of understanding on our part. Now what about the miracles you have witnessed?
Old 03-09-2007, 07:56 PM   #53
BrainSmashR
Banned

Quote:
The majority believe in the one God of Abraham. This includes Christians, Jews, and Muslims. Contrast that to the tiny fraction who believe in worshiping multiple gods or none at all. I have no problem swallowing the numbers.
The majority of current believers. Why must I continue to repeat the same things to you over and over again? Monotheism has only existed for about 3500 years, that leaves about 6500 years of written history and untold eons before then of people that laughed at the concept of one god just like you laugh at the concept of polytheism.

Simply put, once again, the numbers do NOT support your theory just like I showed you above.

Quote:
I am only enlightened by science when it can tell me something. Can science tell if the Bible is the true Word of God or fiction? At this time, perhaps not, but the chances are looking better all the time.
Science can disprove EVERY miracle of the Bible......EVERY SINGLE ONE.
Quote:

There is a good amount of scientific documentation supporting the Bible and its status for those who wish to seek it out:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Bible+Evidence

If you truly want evidence, Archaeological finds have confirmed what the Bible teaches. As archaeologists progress, they discover more and more evidence to support the Bible, and very little to debunk it. There are thousands of partial and complete copies of the Bible texts. These manuscripts are very ancient and they are available for inspection right now. Contrast that to literary works like the Iliad and Odyssey.
No one said the Bible isn't a fairly accurate reference to history. I said the miracles were lies.

Quote:
Well funny you should mention that. The Bible is the World of God spoken through his faithful servants over many years. The author of the Bible most assuredly witnessed the creation.
Even though the Bible clearly states the Earth was created before man and the beasts.

So who's lying, you, or the author?

Quote:
The Bible clearly states that Jesus arose from the dead on the third day. (bones included) But even if that were not the case, and I had his bones in my possession, then I suspect you would want even more evidence such as genetic testing to prove the bones are whose I say they are.
O, so the procedures we use to put criminals, in jail isn't good enough for your savior?

Well, that's neither here nor there anyway.....but certainly convenient that that not one physical trace of your alleged savior exists that would prove beyond the shadow of doubt that he was a mere mortal like you and I.

Quote:
If God or I or anyone had the obligation to prove his existence to you, then by what yardstick would you measure your own faith in God? Faith means belief in something, not proof of something. One only has to believe to have faith. Faith is not “in the pudding” so to speak.
According to you Bible, you DO have an obligation to "spread the word". However, if you concede that faith is all you have (My ENTIRE argument), then you'll have proven my point and we can move on to more interesting topics.

Quote:
Uh Huh and the difference between a genius and a moron is the number of current IQ points….
I see, so your implication here is that 2/3rd's of the Earth are morons while the minority that follow your beliefs are the geniuses? Sorta blows a hole in that "numbers make right" garbage you've been preaching for the last two days, huh?

Quote:
No doubt that is what some believed a couple of thousand years ago. Wrong so far. Check back in another couple of thousand, will ya?
Your opinion is that they were wrong, you have yet to provide one shred of evidence to prove they were wrong OR that you are right for that matter.

typical.....
Old 03-10-2007, 09:37 AM   #54
Isabella
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 237 Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of
BrainSmashR
Advanced Member
Rep Points: -5

People really like your posts.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:48 AM   #55
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 318 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
The Troll is under the bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella
BrainSmashR
Advanced Member

Not to stay but even a day is good maybe two or three. I have not heard a word out of Joepole on this thread what say you Joepole ? It is good to see that the point system has worked to some degree even if for a day it sends the message that if you are only here to start touble we do not need you
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:43 AM   #56
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella
BrainSmashR
Advanced Member

Isabella, he doesn't care because after all, numbers are irrelavent.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:57 AM   #57
BrainSmashR
Banned

It's common knowledge that Christians don't like hearing the truth....it's why, as a whole, Christians are responsible for more murders throughout history than any other single group or organization.

Status Quo...
Old 03-10-2007, 01:26 PM   #58
Neo
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 229 Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of Neo has much to be proud of
I thought Brainsmash replied just to start controversy... But it seems he really believes what he is typing.

There is something christians do..... they will pray for soul eventhough you are against it and think they are terrorist and killers.
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 01:41 PM   #59
scarlett
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 234 scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to scarlett Send a message via AIM to scarlett Send a message via Yahoo to scarlett
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
It's common knowledge that Christians don't like hearing the truth....it's why, as a whole, Christians are responsible for more murders throughout history than any other single group or organization.

Status Quo...
I really believe most humans don't like hearing the truth but sometimes you need to. As for Christians being responsible for more murders I can see where you would think that but I don't see christians walking around killing like atheist would or someone that is just messed up and has issues. Atheist I believe sacrifice and that's murder and i'm not talking about sacrificing by giving up something like sex but killing for sacrifice. Why do you think halloween is the one day in the year more christians every year won't participate. The reason behind halloween has to do with satan. Satan is evil and evil kills.

How many angels and biblical characters do you see walking around for halloween? It's witches, devils and goblins.......
Old 03-10-2007, 03:04 PM   #60
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
You are being quite clear. Your implication is that one body of writing throughout all of history is NOT considered a work of literature.
I think there are 100’s, perhaps 1000’s of individual writings that could be divinely inspired by God, many are included in the collective text we call the Bible. Not all works are divinely inspired, some are just literature. Even if I write a factual bibliography, although ever word maybe be true, this does not necessarily make the work divinely inspired by God. Most writings are works by man, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
I'm not using wikipedia to prove my opinion, I'm using it to prove you haven't researched you side of the story because even wikipedia suggests that Homer was divinely inspired while your contention is he was not.
Do you believe Homer was divinely inspired by God or gods? Do you believe the Iliad and Odyssey are the preeminent authoritative books of your religion?

Quote:
Agreed, who gave the first-hand account of the creation of Earth and all of it's inhabitants?
The Book of Genesis, like all Holy Scripture, was written under the divine inspiration of the one true God of Abraham. Your question is, however, exactly who were the “holy men” who were moved by the Holy Spirit to write the Book of Genesis? I believe it was Moses but not all Christians are in full agreement.

Quote:
Once again, you're arguing about wikipedia instead of keeping your eye on the ball. I could list 10 alternate sources and you still wouldn't have proved that some thought Homer was divinely inspired OR which author who witnessed the creation of the Universe, or the Earth, or even one single creature.
I’m not 100% sure of your definition of “divinely inspired” compared to the majority of mankind, however I will clarify that I do not believe Homer was divinely inspired by the one true God of Abraham. Sorry if I was not clear on that. Perhaps it is possible to be divinely inspired by the devil, or the sun. I do not really know. So clearly I do not equate all “divine inspiration” as coming from the Holy Spirit(tm)

Quote:
There were always more who opposed slavery than those who supported it. Thus, slavery wasn't ended by overwhelming numbers, but rather by intolerance and aggression by our northern brothers.
Yes, numbers of northern brothers. Numbers mean something. Do you rely on Powerball or Social Security as your sole retirement plan? No, because of numbers, odds of numbers, trends in numbers, statistics, algebra, calculus, all that jazz.

Quote:
As far as your doctor theory, again, you are dealing with a tangible object UNLIKE your religion, savor, etc.

Now, if the overwhelming number of Christians (2 billion) is one of the reasons your use to prove the existence of your savor and justify your beliefs. What's that say about the other 4 billion Earthlings who do not believe in Christianity, who say YOU are wrong while your measely 1/3 of the population says the entire rest of the plant is wrong....based on the numbers?

Currently I am among the majority on the planet who believes in the one Living God, the God of Abraham. Currently I am among the majority who believes that Jesus existed. The only thing that I am not among the majority is whether Jesus is the Christ ordained by the God that the majority already believe in. Not a slight subject, but the numbers look good to me. Actually they look great compared to those who worship Zeus or nothing. Yes this overwhelming consensus ranks high as evidence in my mind. Although it may have happened before, it isn’t easy to fool 2 billion people these days.

Quote:
The pyramids took hundreds of years to build.
LOL, according to Wikipedia the Giza Pyramid is believed to have been constructed over a 20 year period concluding around 2560 BC However it is well known that it took less than one hundred years to build the oldest and only remaining member of the Seven Wonders of the World.

Quote:
Common sense should tell you they weren't designed by the same individuals. Furthermore, they were tombs for the pharaohs, and that's not a "belief" but rather a fact based on written history as well as recovered bodies.
The subject that I raised is the Giza pyramid. I never said that all Pyramids in Egypt are possible testaments to the coming of Christ. Just one. The Giza pyramid is the biggest, oldest, and most challenging pyramid to analyze scientifically and religously. It is very special by all accounts.

Quote:
Medicine is not an exact science. In laymens terms, something man doesn't currently have the knowledge to explain does NOT suggest divine intervention, but rather a lack of understanding on our part. Now what about the miracles you have witnessed?
What about them? Science and Religion are not mutually exclusive. Religion is mutually inclusive with faith. Now what does that say about Science? Could science also be faith based? Some may see a miracle as being an unusual event. Others may see a miracle as a divine event. Others maybe require a miracle to be both unusual and divine intervention. I think we know where each other stands on this.

As hard as you try, you cannot separate religion from faith. They are bound together just as you are bound to society. The Holy Bible was written by humans who were divinely inspired by God. Likewise I am a Christian because I am divinely inspired by God to be a Christian. Why do you think that the majority of leading scientists around the world believe in God? There is plenty of room for both science and religion in one head. How else can you explain the popularity of religion in a very growing scientific world? The answer is found in divine inspiration. When the scientific astronauts went to the moon, what did they do? They quoted divine scripture! Smart highly educated and trained astronauts and rocket scientists can be divinely inspired. What does that say to you? In fact, advancement in science lead to this inspiration and vice versa. God inspires scientists and he could inspire you if you listened. Like a radio station, you must tune in to hear anything.