Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Local News

Notices

Old 05-19-2007, 11:30 AM   #46
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 294 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
It's not in the best interest of the student, it's in the best interests of the students. Zero Tolerance policies are a good thing because they allow the administration to enforce rules without being charged with discriminating against any particular subset of the population.

Without such a policy when 90% of the students suspended for drug problems were of one particular race, the school would have no defense against charges of favoritism, leading to lack of enforcement, which is a detriment to the entire school. This girl is a casualty of an imperfect system that is better than any known alternative.
Zero Tolerance is all fine and dandy for things that are illegal such as guns and illegal drugs. But for an aspirin and other legal modern scientific advances that benefit mankind with little or no side effect, I have a feeling that there is some other motive in the picture, such as making someone's job easier without much consideration for others.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 11:55 AM   #47
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 268 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
>Other than that.. I do have a problem with these "absolute" rules. you're telling me.. for example, a straight A student. comes to school with an aspirin , they could get expelled.. I just don't see that being in the best interest of the student.

It's not in the best interest of the student, it's in the best interests of the students. Zero Tolerance policies are a good thing because they allow the administration to enforce rules without being charged with discriminating against any particular subset of the population.

Without such a policy when 90% of the students suspended for drug problems were of one particular race, the school would have no defense against charges of favoritism, leading to lack of enforcement, which is a detriment to the entire school. This girl is a casualty of an imperfect system that is better than any known alternative.
"A casualty of an imperfect system" I understand what you are saying.. but what about common sense ?

I don't see how comparing "Tyrone" and his joint to "Mary Beth" and her aspirin has to be the same thing.. Or Lemonjello's aspirin has to be the same thing as John's crack cocaine ?

I understand not wanting to be accused of favoritism.. but what's wrong with every instance being charged on its own merits ?

Is it just a casualty of political correctness that a joint is the same as an aspirin ?
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 12:00 PM   #48
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 294 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight
"A casualty of an imperfect system" I understand what you are saying.. but what about common sense ?

I don't see how comparing "Tyrone" and his joint to "Mary Beth" and her aspirin has to be the same thing.. Or Lemonjello's aspirin has to be the same thing as John's crack cocaine ?

I understand not wanting to be accused of favoritism.. but what's wrong with every instance being charged on its own merits ?

Is it just a casualty of political correctness that a joint is the same as an aspirin ?
I think this is the same absolute logic that is termed "throwing the baby out with the bathwater". For example, you probably can't have fingernail clippers at school or on an airplane because "no blades" are allowed. But how could someone hurt someone else with nail clippers? Cut their nails really really short?? A ball point pen is probably more dangerous as a weapon.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:59 PM   #49
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 259 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
>what's wrong with every instance being charged on its own merits ?

The possibility of inequitable application of the rules.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:12 AM   #50
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
>what's wrong with every instance being charged on its own merits ?

The possibility of inequitable application of the rules.
What if the rules are flawed or tilted in favor of the enforcer? Too bad? How does an asprin become "against the rules"??
Old 05-20-2007, 01:18 AM   #51
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 259 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
When some idiot gives one to someone else and it causes a problem/liability, like in this case.

Which do you think is a better policy, one that spells out individual drugs by chemical formula/brand name, detailing which are allowed by whom and under what circumstances, or one that says "no drugs, period?" especially when there is no upside to allowing any.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:29 PM   #52
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
When some idiot gives one to someone else and it causes a problem/liability, like in this case.

Which do you think is a better policy, one that spells out individual drugs by chemical formula/brand name, detailing which are allowed by whom and under what circumstances, or one that says "no drugs, period?" especially when there is no upside to allowing any.
So children who really need medicines shouldn't go to school? I think the distinction between legal and illegal is good enough without detailing chemical formulas. It would be up to the student to prove the medicine he/she is taking is legally perscribed by a doctor for that person or not. Clearly if another student stole some medicine then that does not meet the criteria and THAT person should be punished. Or maybe the school should keep any and all drugs in their possession and when students needs to take their meds, they go to the office to do so. My point is that some people need medicine and some of those are in school. Do schools really have a zero tolerance policy on drugs at school, or just a zero tolerance on students possessing drugs at school? I really don't know.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:52 PM   #53
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 318 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
They have a zero tolerance policy all the time. I think it is a bit to much. I think they should have a list of stuff like Advil or aspirin or midol what ever it might be that they can walk in the store and buy for legal use. I have not had to deal with this issue with my children but the schools run from the lawyers all the time.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 04:12 PM   #54
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

>Or maybe the school should keep any and all drugs in their possession and when students needs to take their meds, they go to the office to do so.

That is what the policy is.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:01 PM   #55
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
That is what the policy is.
That's a good policy for perscription meds. For midol, I just don't know. I'm just not a big fan of zero tolerance policies in general. Imagine how empty our highways would be if we had a zero tolerance policy against speeding. It is good to know there was a policy and system in place that was available in this case. I don't know how long a dose of midol lasts, but taken before school, at lunch, and after school would be 3 doses in 7 hours which seems like a lot to me.