Go Back   Shreveport.com > SBLive! Groups > Historic Photos

Notices

Old 07-24-2007, 12:46 PM   #1
geodood
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 geodood has a spectacular aura about geodood has a spectacular aura about
Col. C. H. Ardis

I recently learned that I am a great great great....nephew of Col. C. H. Ardis who reportedly was one of the most successful merchants in the State of Louisiana back in the 1800's.

http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb...os/ardisch.txt

There was once a water tower on Levee St. with the name "Ardis & Co." on it for many years. If anyone comes across a picture of this water tower, or any other reference to CH Ardis, please let me know! Thanks!
geodood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:09 PM   #2
geodood
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 geodood has a spectacular aura about geodood has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkspaceman
The largest growing church in Bossier City, First Baptist, was originally "Ardis Memorial" as the Col Ardis donated the original church structure. This was circa turn of last century...and the church building stood for several years after the new sanctuary was built and renamed FBC, but was torn down in the mid-1900's to make way for a new building. I have a couple of variations (grainy original and reworked color) of the church building, but have yet to find a photo of the man.
Wow thanks for the reply monkspaceman. I did not know that. My Dad's middle name is Ardis and my grandmother is from Mt Lebanon and her maiden name is Ardis. My great grandfather Lofton Ardis was C.H. Ardis' nephew. I am still researching and I hope to find his picture soon. If you ever scan any pictures of the old church building, I'd be interested in a jpg. Or better yet, please join our Historic Photos group and post them for all to enjoy. Thanks again for the reply.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:08 AM   #3
salguodgrubmab
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 0 salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough
Clinton Ardis. If your ever on Milam St. look at The Johnson Bldg. It was built by him. His residence was removed to make way for it and it was originally The Ardis Bldg then later the Exchange National Bank.
salguodgrubmab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:45 AM   #4
geodood
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salguodgrubmab
Clinton Ardis. If your ever on Milam St. look at The Johnson Bldg. It was built by him. His residence was removed to make way for it and it was originally The Ardis Bldg then later the Exchange National Bank.
Thanks for the reply sal. Isn't the Johnson building (which is empty I believe) for lack of a better word "too modern" to have been built in the 1800's? Could it have been built by Col. Clinton H Ardis' son (J. B. Ardis) I'm not disagreeing with you, and perhaps the Johnson bldg is a lot older than I thought.

BTW, do you know who old the Slattery Building is? It looks much older and might have worked for filming the Ghost Busters movie. I can't see them, but I can picture a couple of gargoyles up there.

Anyway, thanks for any info, and if you ever come across a picture of Col. Ardis or any of his works, please post them or private message me. I would very much appreciate it.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:48 AM   #5
salguodgrubmab
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 0 salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough
The Ardis on Milam was begun in 1919 and opened in 1920. I have attached info on the original Ardis Bldg. The Slattery was erected in 1923.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ardis.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1179  

Old 07-25-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
geodood
Advanced Member

Thanks sal! Very interesting to me! But I'm a little confused. Was the Ardis bldg on Milam? Or was it at the corner of caddo and commerce? (as described in the picture) Was the Johnson bldg and Ardis bldg the same? The picture doesn't look much like today's Johnson bldg. Thank you for any clarification. I'm guessing these are two different buildings. Was the Johnson bldg always called that?

I will continue looking for a photo of CH Ardis. As much of a big wig as he was at that time, I would imagine that some pictures taken of him. Maybe in the Noel Library? I'm also searching geneology.com and ancestry.com etc..

I have always enjoyed local history, but now even more as I combine it with my geneology efforts. On my other side of the family, I have a great grandfather who helped start several churches in our area. Thanks to this thread, I now know this was true on both sides of my family!
Old 07-25-2007, 08:23 PM   #7
salguodgrubmab
Advanced Member

The first Ardis at Caddo and Commerce. The company outgrew it and the Milam building was built. There are six collections at Noel 32,98,196,83,548, and 344 which maybe helpful to you. I wish you luck.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:37 PM   #8
geodood
Advanced Member

Thanks once again Sal. I will check these out. One more thing if you don't mind....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal
There are six collections at Noel 32,98,196,83,548, and 344 which maybe helpful to you
Does the Noel library offer .jpgs of these photo collections? If not do you think it would be possible for them to let me scan them?

I'm thinking that if the answer to these questions are no, then perhaps a community effort could be made through donations of time or money to preserve these photos in digital form. Numbers don't fade! And I should would like a copy or see them posted here.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:31 PM   #9
salguodgrubmab
Advanced Member

Nothing there is digit. Photo collections are mostly negatives in shoe boxes. If Mike, the archivist, could he would digitize them all. He is quite passionate about it. But he can only do so much, especially when I keep adding to his work load. It would take a wheelbarrow full of money and a couple dozen staffers to scan those collections. If I had that wheelbarrow I would do it. My gift to this community.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:18 PM   #10
geodood
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salguodgrubmab
Nothing there is digit. Photo collections are mostly negatives in shoe boxes. If Mike, the archivist, could he would digitize them all. He is quite passionate about it. But he can only do so much, especially when I keep adding to his work load. It would take a wheelbarrow full of money and a couple dozen staffers to scan those collections. If I had that wheelbarrow I would do it. My gift to this community.
I hear what you are saying, but I can't help but think that with a good modern scanner, that we could make a dent in it. These photos should be preserved. Case in point, I lost a lot of family photos during a flood many years ago. Had they been scanned, then copied onto a handful of CD's distributed among my relatives, they would not be lost. Also the remaining photos I have are often faded. Once digitized, numbers don't fade like chemicals do. And once you upload them to the Internet, they are preserved forever on the Wayback Machine even if the site goes down. http://www.archive.org

I have a laptop and a scanner. I am betting we could organize a small team of volunteers with laptops and scanners and give it a try. Please let me know if you would like to make a stab at it. Otherwise, I really do appreciate what you have been able to do so far. That's thousands of photos that will never fade or be distroyed by fire or flood thanks to you. Good job Sal!