Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Lounge

Notices

Poll: Should the neighbor be held accountable for her actions?
Poll Options
Should the neighbor be held accountable for her actions?

Old 11-18-2007, 06:50 PM   #1
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
Mom: Web Hoax Led Girl to Kill Herself

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/wireStory?id=3879037

Quote:
Megan Meier thought she had made a new friend in cyberspace when a cute teenage boy named Josh contacted her on MySpace and began exchanging messages with her.
Megan, a 13-year-old who suffered from depression and attention deficit disorder, corresponded with Josh for more than a month before he abruptly ended their friendship, telling her he had heard she was cruel.
The next day Megan committed suicide. Her family learned later that Josh never actually existed; he was created by members of a neighborhood family that included a former friend of Megan's.
But when adults are involved and continue to screw with a 13-year-old, with or without mental problems, it is absolutely vile," she told the Suburban Journals of Greater St. Louis, which first reported on the case.
Tina Meier said law enforcement officials told her the case did not fit into any law. But sheriff's officials have not closed the case and pledged to consider new evidence if it emerges.
Megan Meier hanged herself in her bedroom on Oct. 16, 2006, and died the next day. She was described as a "bubbly, goofy" girl who loved hanging out with her friends, watching movies and fishing with her dad.
Megan's parents said she received a message from him on Oct. 15 of last year, essentially saying he didn't want to be her friend anymore, that he had heard she wasn't nice to her friends.
Someone using Josh's account was sending cruel messages. Then, Megan called her mother, saying electronic bulletins were being posted about her, saying things like, "Megan Meier is a slut. Megan Meier is fat."
Her father said he found a message the next day from Josh, which he said law enforcement authorities have not been able to retrieve. It told the girl she was a bad person and the world would be better without her, he has said.
The woman who created the fake profile has not been charged with a crime. She allegedly told the St. Charles County Sheriff's Department she created Josh's profile because she wanted to gain Megan's confidence to know what Megan was saying about her own child online.
The mother from down the street told police that she, her daughter and another person all typed and monitored the communication between the fictitious boy and Megan.
Aldermen in Dardenne Prairie, a community of about 7,000 residents about 35 miles from St. Louis, have proposed a new ordinance related to child endangerment and Internet harassment. It could come before city leaders on Wednesday.

Ipersonally think the neighbor and her daughter should be held accountable for their actions that played a part in this child's action's.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:20 PM   #2
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Now that is just horrible! Why was that mother behaving foolishly and getting down on the teenagers levels? If she was concerned about the girl's actions she should have contacted her directly in person or her parents. Pretending to be a teenaged boy and gaining the girl's confidence and then dumping her was cruel and unusual! I hope that mom feels awful!

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:46 PM   #3
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocahontas View Post
Now that is just horrible! Why was that mother behaving foolishly and getting down on the teenagers levels? If she was concerned about the girl's actions she should have contacted her directly in person or her parents. Pretending to be a teenaged boy and gaining the girl's confidence and then dumping her was cruel and unusual! I hope that mom feels awful!
That's exactly what I think. That neighbor had no business pretending to be a boy, talking to the girl then dumping her and calling her names. She was suppose to be the adult. I say throw the book at her, if they can't then find a way.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
There should maybe, possibly, barely be a civil judgment, but any criminal charges are ridiculous.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:42 AM   #5
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
I believe the neighbor and anyone who contributed to the false profile should pay a price with interest, but I can't imagine what law they could be booked for. What they did to that girl was cruel and vile. They are monsters! Unfortunately, online deception is not illegal.

I have some related doubts too. Just how stable was Megan to begin with? I've had online relationships myself. Mine included not only e-mail and instant messenging, but phone calls and even plane trips to meet in person. I understand how serious these online relationships get, but Megan didn't even know the "boy" she was talking to! How could his opinion matter so much to her after so little correspondance?

What the neighbors did to that girl was cruel, I agree, but how did it lead to suicide so quickly? I have my doubts that she was stable to begin with.

As for Megan's family, I understand they destroyed the neighbor's foosball table that they were storing for them. Now that, I probably would've done as well, especially after hearing that charges couldn't be filed.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:24 AM   #6
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

update

Family Shunned Over MySpace Hoax, Teen's Suicide

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,315823,00.html

Quote:
Waterford Crystal Drive is one of those suburban streets that seem so new as to have no history at all. But the suicide of a teenage girl — and allegations she had been tormented by a neighbor over the Internet — have brought a reaction that is old, almost tribal, in its nature.
Residents on the middle-class subdivision have turned against the neighbor, Lori Drew, and her family, demanding the Drews move out. In interviews, they have warned darkly that someone might be tempted to "take matters into their own hands."
Drew became an outcast after she admitted inventing "Josh Evans," a good-looking teenage boy who chatted online with 13-year-old Megan Meier. Megan received cruel messages from Josh that apparently drove her to hang herself in her closet in 2006.
the community reaction has been vengeful and the pressure on the Drews intense.
Last December, after neighbors learned of the Internet hoax, someone threw a brick through a window in the Drew home. A few weeks ago, someone made a prank call to police reporting that there had been a shooting inside the Drew's house, prompting squad cars to arrive with sirens flashing.

Someone recently obtained the password to change the Drew's outgoing cell phone recording, and replaced it with a disturbing message. Police would not detail the content.

Clients have fled from Drew's home-based advertising business, so she had to close it. Neighbors have not seen Drew outside her home in weeks.

Death threats and ugly insults have been hurled at Drew over the Internet, where she has been portrayed as monster who should go to prison, lose custody of her own children, or worse. Her name and address have been posted online, and a Web site with satellite images of the home said the Drews should "rot in hell."
This lady thought the cops couldn't charge her, well she has been thrust into the depths of hell. She says she is being haressed, I think she is getting what she deserves.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:47 AM   #7
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by piemaker720 View Post
This lady thought the cops couldn't charge her, well she has been thrust into the depths of hell. She says she is being haressed, I think she is getting what she deserves.
Agreed, no one likes a bully who complains when someone bullies back. She needs to grow up and take her beating like an adult.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:14 AM   #8
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Maybe she'll kill herself.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:26 AM   #9
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

I found a site with their phone number and address, but I haven't found any satelite shots.

http://www.lawrenceconnor.com/lori_drew.html
Old 12-07-2007, 04:30 PM   #10
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit View Post
I found a site with their phone number and address, but I haven't found any satelite shots.

That is quite a sight, boy this woman should know what people think now. Old saying Burn Baby Burn and she is at that. Glad it's her not me, of coasre I would not do what she has done.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:22 PM   #11
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole View Post
Maybe she'll kill herself.
This is not Japan circa 1800's.... "Personal Responsibility" ain't what it used to be IMHO..... Which is a goodthing. There are so many better ways to atone...
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:25 PM   #12
howela
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 219 howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold
Info only.... you're not going RU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit View Post

Here's one if you're planning something!
http://www.whitepages.com/10583/sear...caltime=survey
"click" on hybrid map and zoom in... he's standing on the porch.
map to house.doc
howela is offline   Reply With Quote