Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-30-2007, 04:52 PM   #16
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole View Post
Another acceptable term for Wiccans is "The kids with the black eye makeup that nobody wanted to eat lunch with."

Come on, if you pick such a fruity "religion" you have to expect some teasing. I just wish we had some Scientologists so you could pick on somebody, too.
I think you are talking about "Goths," there Joe, not Pagans...not Wiccans.

As for teasing, I don't tease people about their religion, no matter what it is or what my opinion of it is. I set this example in hopes others will follow, yourself included.

Now let's get back on topic and talk books now.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:49 PM   #17
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
>I don't tease people about their religion, no matter what it is or what my opinion of it is.

Religion is one of the best things to tease people about because it's so irrational and people usually believe in it very strongly but can't explain why or logically defend their beliefs.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:38 PM   #18
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Joe until you dig deep enough to understand the three levels of teaching I can understand why you think like you do. Your loss. I bet if you live long enough Pascals Wager might come into play even for a hard ass like you. I am not a door mat Christian. If I do not agree with a religion such as Muslims, Jew or Pagans I will take a stand. I know you need to see the numbers and a test tube before you can believe. A fool in fools paradise.
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:18 PM   #19
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
See what I mean?
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:28 PM   #20
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit View Post
I decline. By the way, the term "warlock" is actually an offensive term. It means "oathbreaker" or "one who breaks promises." Male witches are labeled no different than the females.
Anime, have you ever read any Jim Butcher? This is right up you alley.

Lee Child, Stewart Woods, John Sanford, are very good. Jimmy Buffett writes a damn good story. I wish he woould wirte more. My alltime favorite is Lincon Preston who writes with a partner last name Childs. I don't remember his name because when I finish a book I give it away.Hell it may be Preston Childs and Lincoln something.
purpahurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:26 PM   #21
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpahurl View Post
Anime, have you ever read any Jim Butcher? This is right up you alley.
Never heard of him.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:30 PM   #22
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit View Post
Never heard of him.
He has a series of 5 books that sound like your type of stuff. I'm not into wizards or witches but these are very well written and I enjoyed them. It is written in real time and actually believable

Last edited by purpahurl; 10-31-2007 at 02:36 PM.
purpahurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:00 PM   #23
vixweb
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 219 vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of
I like Graham Hancock, Hal Lindsay, mostly historical/educational....
Anime, are you familiar with the "west memphis three"? (wm3.org) They were wiccans who were unjustly accused of murder, mainly because of their "weirdness"- its an interesting story....
vixweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:13 PM   #24
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
I enjoy Margaret Maron books The Deborah Knott Series. Great books, they are who dunnit books but she is good at hiding the murderer and she throws comedy in with it. I have her whole series. If you like a good mystery try them but get the 1st book of the series first because each book picks up where the other ended. The first book is called Bootlegger's Daughter.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:36 PM   #25
vixweb
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 219 vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of
Lets keep this thread going!

No-one else has any favorite authors? Come on! with all of the smart posts on this board, I KNOW there are more readers here Give some insight into your interests-
vixweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:56 AM   #26
Jesse

Rep Power: 0 Jesse will become famous soon enough Jesse will become famous soon enough
yeah, ok.....
I read more than i do anything else. Really. Robin Cook has done a lot since Coma. Richard North Patterson, Jonathan Kellerman, Patricia Cornwell......all see to be up your alley.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:04 PM   #27
Morpheus
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
yeah, ok.....
I read more than i do anything else. Really. Robin Cook has done a lot since Coma. Richard North Patterson, Jonathan Kellerman, Patricia Cornwell......all see to be up your alley.
Yeah I've read lots of Robin Cook. Some Jonathan Kellerman. Cornwell is popular, but I've never tried her. Never heard of the other guy.
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:42 PM   #28
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocahontas View Post
John Grisham has some good suspenseful court/law related dramas. Of course to me the books were better than the movies.
My feelings too. I don't read much but I like Grisham's southern flare. The only other books I read are reference manuals and trade publications.... (big yawn)
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:45 PM   #29
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Just for a change up
Click image for larger version

Name:	Barry Fell.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1764

Click image for larger version

Name:	Missing Links.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1765
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:27 PM   #30
Morpheus
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of
This weekend I read James Lee Burke's A Stained White Radiance. Burke combines Southern themes and real life Louisiana locations in his stories. There are a series of books about Detective Dave Robicheaux, who reminds me of a cajun Alex Cross.
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote