Go Back   Shreveport.com > SBLive! Groups > Historic Photos

Notices

Old 08-21-2007, 10:08 AM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Comments on: abe

Reader comments and feedback for the abe photo.
This image is part of the Historic Photos photo gallery

sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:11 AM   #2
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 316 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
I can remember many a time Ole Abe standing next to the table while you were eating with a mouth full of food and ask you how you like your food. Good food and he was a client of mine before he past away. Good man and hard working and his name fit him like a glove.
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:15 PM   #3
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Good food at Abe's! Yes, he was a very nice man. Not many restaurants you go into anymore that are locally owned with a great owner.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:50 PM   #4
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
I remember going to Abe's about 35 or 40 years ago. Another favorite was the cannelloni at Sansone's....
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:14 PM   #5
salguodgrubmab
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 0 salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough
Po-folk like me had to settle fer chili dawgs and He-Haw on Saturday night.
salguodgrubmab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:31 PM   #6
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 316 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
I had someone in my office yesterday talking about the Hush-puppy that used to be where Savoies is on 70th street. The same place their banquet hall is now. I do not know when the Hush-puppy went out but I do recall it being there.
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:41 PM   #7
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by salguodgrubmab View Post
Po-folk like me had to settle fer chili dawgs and He-Haw on Saturday night.
Abe's, Brocato's, and Sansone's were for very special occations. Weisman's, Shakey's Pizza, and Cobb's BBQ were a more normal treat.

These names do stir up memories. I recall riding my bike up to Naromore's drug store (later Lewis's) and getting a hamburger and vanilla coke at the fountain. Time almost stood still compared to today, at least it seemed like it.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:08 PM   #8
salguodgrubmab
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 0 salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough
Ah the Hush.. All the fried shrimp you could shove in your pie-hole. I remember the wall decor. They had rather unique creations from coconut shells adorning the walls. I remember a pal of mine eyeballing one of them as I was paying. I knew that gleam he had in his eye. This isn't a good sign. I went on out to the car and in about ten minutes he finally showed. "Look what I got you for your apartment," he proudly pulls it out from underneath his coat. "Alright", I mumble, a coconut rendition of the Bali God Kanudakawali. "Thanks!" This thing was about three feet in diameter. No easy task to swipe. He must've really wanted me to have it. The Hush closed and was re-opened as Bubba and Beaudreaux's. It was fairly short-lived. Seems like our special occasion eateries were Haynes Grill in Broadmoor and Big Chain Cafeteria.
salguodgrubmab is offline   Reply With Quote