Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Local News

Notices

Old 05-19-2007, 11:54 AM   #1
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
The 'Dirty Little Secret' on Illegal Workers

http://www.ksla.com/global/story.asp?s=6538622

Quote:
A major industry source estimates 75-percent of all construction workers in Shreveport- Bossier are illegal. "There's just not that much to choose from, so you just go with what you got," said General Contractor Miguel Perez, who owns Highland Homebuilders L.L.C.
No wonder unemployment is high.
piemaker720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 04:50 PM   #2
MattyMattyChooChoo

Rep Power: 0 MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice
And which unemployment rate would that be, the national unemployment rate? Would you rather have the unemployment rate of any other country?
MattyMattyChooChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:01 PM   #3
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
I would rather there were no unemployment rate at all. If there were enough jobs then we would have nothing to worry about.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:17 PM   #4
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Oh yeah, after thinking about it you ask if I wanted the unemployment rate for other countries the answer is NO. I do not live in another country, I live here in the United States. Do I think it is fair for people to enter illegaly and against the law, NO. If someone wants to work here do it legally, there are ways. I do not go to other countries to take jobs there. We are in a war with Iraq and our soldiers are still dying. Their people are not trying to stop the violence. So if you diagree I'm sorry but that is the way I feel.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:43 PM   #5
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
I believe the unemployment rate for Shreveport was around 4.0 as of march 2007

I don't know how MANY people 75% of contstruction labor that is illegal aliens equals to..

But if they are illegal aliens.. I take it that means they aren't paying social security taxes ? or federal or state taxes from what they get paid ?

But considering the amount of construction that is currently going on in shreveport and bossier, I'd suspect that's quite a few people.

I love how everyone in that article passes the buck.. the Construction passed the buck to the "contractor" who they say is "legal" the contractor passes it on to somebody else, who they say is "legal" but that they don't know who hires who.. ??
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 09:05 PM   #6
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

so true, so true.