Go Back   Shreveport.com > SBLive! Groups > Historic Photos

Notices

Old 10-14-2007, 01:50 AM   #31
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
When I was growing up Uptown had a Weingarten's/Safeway, a Palais Royal, a Rubenstein's, a Woolworth's (became Eckerd's), and King Hardware. What is now Maxwell's was a 7-11 and then a Circle-K.

Stein Mart is where Selber's used to be (or maybe I have it backwards with Rubenstein's). Toy Fair (I went there today) has been there as long as I can remember.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:13 PM   #32
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole View Post
I just turned 31. Mrs. Taberlet was the principal during my tenure (K5-5th, 1981-1987) at South Highlands.

I had (in order) Mrs. Nehring, Mrs. Churchwell, Ms. Megison, Mrs. Chandler, Mrs. Davis*, and Mr. Fair.

*in 4th grade we switched classes. I had Mrs. Davis for homeroom/Science, Mrs. Johnson for Social Studies, Ms. Finney for Language Arts, and Mrs. Redding for Math. In 5th grade they changed us back to same teacher all day
I'm 47 and Thelma Gray was principal. (1st-4th, 1966-70) I had Mrs Wilmuth(sp?), Mrs Harper, Mrs Duran, and Mrs Safford. My most memorable experience was that we carried around magnets and pill bottles and "panned" for iron ore. We also made switch blades out of popcicle sticks and rubberbands.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:21 PM   #33
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
My final update on the Werner house. I guess once the information starts to trickle in, then it flows for a while.

The Werner family sold to someone (Sol's wife?) who dumped a ton of money into it. They later couldn't sell the house for what they had in it. At some point, Smokey Hide and John Meldrum bought the lot off the seller. They divided it in half and as the story goes, they flipped a coin to determine who got which half. Meldrum build on the southern half between David Toms and Ed Summers. I'm still unsure why someone would tear down a remodeled house with all they money tied up in it.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:42 PM   #34
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
I remember a GIANT crack running from the bottom left across the whole front so maybe the remodeling was just lipstick on a pig.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:16 PM   #35
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
I remember a GIANT crack running from the bottom left across the whole front so maybe the remodeling was just lipstick on a pig.
Yeah I do remember it being in need of bad repair. But I figured they took care of all that for the rumored dough the buyer pumped into that house. The rumor was close to a $1MM. Even if I'm wrong about that, there are foundation repair companies out there. I hired one to fix a townhouse in the 80's and the bill was $12k to "jack and underpin" the structure. But still, maybe you are right. Coulda been infested with killer mold or something, anything.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:15 PM   #36
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
I just turned 31. Mrs. Taberlet was the principal during my tenure (K5-5th, 1981-1987) at South Highlands.
I heard a funny joke today. I graduated from South Highlands Institute of Technology
(SH!T)
Old 10-18-2007, 02:59 PM   #37
j.nc
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 209 j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz View Post
I heard a funny joke today. I graduated from South Highlands Institute of Technology
(SH!T)

Been traveling so need to catch up. Was Mrs. Taberlet the next principal after Mrs. Gray? Mrs Gray was principal the whole time I was there. I had a 7th Grade teacher at Broadmoor, Miss Neff. I ran into her at an open house at South Highlands (when???) and she was the principal. Seems like too much of a gap for Mrs. Taberlet to have been the married name of Miss Neff... hmmmm.

(I had a crush on Miss Neff, when she taught my class she was just out of college - 1st job)

Did you know Mrs Gray lived on Gilbert - on Thrill Hill?
j.nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:50 PM   #38
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Mrs Taberlet was principal when I was there 1981-1987 and she retired shortly afterward (either that year or the next) and Mrs. Byrd (Pam?) became Principal. Mrs. Taberlet was at least in her 60s when I was there so i doubt you had a crush on her unless you went there during World War II.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:04 PM   #39
j.nc
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 209 j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all
Quote:
Mrs Taberlet was principal when I was there 1981-1987 and she retired shortly afterward (either that year or the next) and Mrs. Byrd (Pam?) became Principal. Mrs. Taberlet was at least in her 60s when I was there so i doubt you had a crush on her unless you went there during World War II.
LOL - no. Maybe the person I'm thinking of was there before her.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:05 PM   #40
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.nc View Post
Did you know Mrs Gray lived on Gilbert - on Thrill Hill?
I didn't remember that. Mrs Gray's brother was my dentist, Robert Palmer. I got to know them both pretty well as a kid.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:03 PM   #41
j.nc
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz View Post
I didn't remember that. Mrs Gray's brother was my dentist, Robert Palmer. I got to know them both pretty well as a kid.
She had the house at (or near) the "continuation" of Southfield to the East. I was in her office more than once
Old 10-23-2007, 05:33 PM   #42
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.nc View Post
I was in her office more than once
LOL, I was too. One time I wrote a dirty note to my best friend but it was intercepted by the teacher and I was sent upstairs to Mrs Grays office