Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Family & Home

Notices

Old 11-21-2007, 10:15 PM   #61
Morpheus
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 224 Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz View Post
I can proudly say that I never had a chew of Red Man.. I tried once, but I just couldn't do it. But I did dip snuff once or twice as a young'n... Or maybe I snorted it!
When I was 10 or so my friend and I were lounging about on the porch eating "push ups", you know, those orange sherbet ice creams in the cardboard tube with the plastic disc and handle. I remember finishing my push up and daydreaming about building a toy car from the plastic parts when my friend produced a can of Skoal bandits, which were conveniently packaged pinches of snuff inside a fine mesh bag so that the snuff didn't get all your mouth.

We both placed one "between the cheek and gums" and started on the 5-6 block walk to soccer practice at a local elementary school, spitting every other step whether we needed to or not. About halfway there I began to feel dizzy and discarded my "dip". My friend was able to hold his for maybe a few more strides, but then he was done too.

First on the agenda at soccer practice-LAPS! We both completed two laps and came back to take a knee. By now the field was spinning. I don't remember feeling sick, but soon enough my friend and I were on our hands and knees with a good square yard of orange foam between us!
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:17 PM   #62
Morpheus
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 224 Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen View Post
I LOVE the El Charitto Saltillo Platter! I figured I was the only guy in the state that ate those damn things! Nice to meet a kindred spirit!
I knew I liked you Al.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:35 PM   #63
Morpheus
Advanced Member

Perhaps if we could persuade Joe to eat a saltillo platter, it might change his perspective.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:25 AM   #64
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 247 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
When I was 10 or so my friend and I were lounging about on the porch eating "push ups", you know, those orange sherbet ice creams in the cardboard tube with the plastic disc and handle. I remember finishing my push up and daydreaming about building a toy car from the plastic parts when my friend produced a can of Skoal bandits, which were conveniently packaged pinches of snuff inside a fine mesh bag so that the snuff didn't get all your mouth.

We both placed one "between the cheek and gums" and started on the 5-6 block walk to soccer practice at a local elementary school, spitting every other step whether we needed to or not. About halfway there I began to feel dizzy and discarded my "dip". My friend was able to hold his for maybe a few more strides, but then he was done too.

First on the agenda at soccer practice-LAPS! We both completed two laps and came back to take a knee. By now the field was spinning. I don't remember feeling sick, but soon enough my friend and I were on our hands and knees with a good square yard of orange foam between us!
LOL...I had a similar experience when I was about 13. I had tried my very first dip of Skoal...lil pinch tween the cheek & gum, just like ya said. Well I must've swallowed some of the juice, cuz minutes later I was on hands and knees, tossin up my lunch. Standin near by was a friend who was clearly enjoyin the spectacle...he goes "oh man, you ate the corn"?...(from the school lunch). My old man heard this this and laughed till tears rolled down his face...and he ribbed me about it till his dyin day. Isnt it strange how such a bad experience did absolutely nothin to discourage me from takin up the chaw? And the same with cigarettes...first time I smoked one and actually inhaled I felt like I was gonna die. But soon I was smokin a pack a day! Go figure.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:31 AM   #65
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 247 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Quote:
Perhaps if we could persuade Joe to eat a saltillo platter, it might change his perspective.
Reckon the Saltillo Platter would do him some good! Joe's probably alot of laughs after he has a few beers under his belt to loosen him up. Oh, and the El Charrito Queso Dinner is also pretty tasty!
Old 11-22-2007, 07:56 AM   #66
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Morning and happy turkey day you early birds !! Time to shake a turkey leg or two
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:08 AM   #67
vixweb
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 220 vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of
It seems I also had the same first experience with SKOAL! I remember getting dizzy and puking I started chewing Levi Garrett, and eventually moved on to Marlboro-
vixweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:25 AM   #68
vixweb
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 220 vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of
When I was little, we used to camp out alot- by the time I was 10 or 11 we decided we would build our own cabin. So, with hatchet, axe, and saw, we started taking down small trees. We built a frame and then nailed the saplings as close together as we could. We then filled the cracks with mud, and gathered some old rusty barn tin for the roof. I remember my friend Joe was very particular about picking the right site for "the cabin", so we built it right next to a creek about 50 feet from flat river. we added a rope swing and some homemade benches around the fire area. My fondest childhood memories were made right there with good friends- two of wich died in high school. Here is a picture of "the cabin". circa '82-'83
I should have re-scanned that photo-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	the cabin.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	1869  

Old 11-22-2007, 08:26 AM   #69
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 268 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
some good stories folks.
My 'childhood' memories all occurred while I lived in N.J.
In an absolutely freakin' incredible neighborhood. Lived at the top of this hill in a cul-de-sac.. house backed up to some federal forest land. deep into the forest was a lake. My parents knew absolutely everybody on the block, and they all had kids as well.. and I knew them all.

summers were spent playing stick-ball in the cul-de-sac, a few home runs went through MY living room window. Winters filled with playing football in some DEEP snow. And ice-skating on area lakes and swamps. we all rode skateboards down the hills, (during the FIRST wave of skateboarding LOL)

Games of hide-and-seek stretched the whole block. nights chasing and collecting fire-flys. Block parties with all the neighbors.

I remember my parents would have like these "gin" parties, playin' cards with the neighbors.. when this would happen, it was "fend" for your self for me and my older brothers.. all stuck "upstairs" LOL

Got my first dog when I was in the first grade, a Norwegian Elkhound mix. I remember when he was a few years old, he took to escaping from the back yard, he would make the trip up to my school, there waiting on me to exit school for the day, we would make the walk home together.

Played on many a baseball team as a kid.. rode our bicycles all over freakin' town. As an 8 year old, we had all the freedom in the world.. playin' in the woods, building tree forts. In the winter time.. it was turned into a WINTER WONDERLAND.. all sorts of hills for sleigh rides, and tobaggon rides.. Free to go where we wanted, do want we wanted.. come dinner time.. just had to be sure to be within distance of my old man's Whistle call.. which ranged a good block.. just had to make sure come dinner and he called, we better show up home soon

And then the summer of '76.. met Mary.. ahhh.. Mary.. that's another story. LOL

Happy Turkey day everybody.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:02 AM   #70
Morpheus
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixweb View Post
When I was little, we used to camp out alot- by the time I was 10 or 11 we decided we would build our own cabin. So, with hatchet, axe, and saw, we started taking down small trees. We built a frame and then nailed the saplings as close together as we could. We then filled the cracks with mud, and gathered some old rusty barn tin for the roof. I remember my friend Joe was very particular about picking the right site for "the cabin", so we built it right next to a creek about 50 feet from flat river. we added a rope swing and some homemade benches around the fire area. My fondest childhood memories were made right there with good friends- two of wich died in high school. Here is a picture of "the cabin". circa '82-'83
I should have re-scanned that photo-
I remember those fort building days. Seems like the only thing your fort was missing was a bridge across the creek. We had woods full of trails. If you were observant enough you sometimes would see a black plastic bag hanging in a tree or tucked away under a bush. Inside was usually a penthouse or hustler
Old 11-22-2007, 09:05 AM   #71
vixweb
Advanced Member

Quote:
I remember those fort building days. Seems like the only thing your fort was missing was a bridge across the creek. We had woods full of trails. If you were observant enough you sometimes would see a black plastic bag hanging in a tree or tucked away under a bush. Inside was usually a penthouse or hustler
I was gonna leave that part out!
Old 11-22-2007, 09:10 AM   #72
Morpheus
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight View Post
some good stories folks.
My 'childhood' memories all occurred while I lived in N.J.
In an absolutely freakin' incredible neighborhood. Lived at the top of this hill in a cul-de-sac.. house backed up to some federal forest land. deep into the forest was a lake. My parents knew absolutely everybody on the block, and they all had kids as well.. and I knew them all.

summers were spent playing stick-ball in the cul-de-sac, a few home runs went through MY living room window. Winters filled with playing football in some DEEP snow. And ice-skating on area lakes and swamps. we all rode skateboards down the hills, (during the FIRST wave of skateboarding LOL)

Games of hide-and-seek stretched the whole block. nights chasing and collecting fire-flys. Block parties with all the neighbors.

I remember my parents would have like these "gin" parties, playin' cards with the neighbors.. when this would happen, it was "fend" for your self for me and my older brothers.. all stuck "upstairs" LOL

Got my first dog when I was in the first grade, a Norwegian Elkhound mix. I remember when he was a few years old, he took to escaping from the back yard, he would make the trip up to my school, there waiting on me to exit school for the day, we would make the walk home together.

Played on many a baseball team as a kid.. rode our bicycles all over freakin' town. As an 8 year old, we had all the freedom in the world.. playin' in the woods, building tree forts. In the winter time.. it was turned into a WINTER WONDERLAND.. all sorts of hills for sleigh rides, and tobaggon rides.. Free to go where we wanted, do want we wanted.. come dinner time.. just had to be sure to be within distance of my old man's Whistle call.. which ranged a good block.. just had to make sure come dinner and he called, we better show up home soon

Happy Turkey day everybody.
I have a lot of similar memories, but having grown up near here, they are warm weather stories. Except for the blizzard that occurred when I was in sixth grade and school was closed for two weeks! We rode three wheelers on the streets and pulled saucers behind them. Wore a hole in that thing too. Sadly, my thirteen year old step son has had a much different experience. The woods are mostly gone, and wouldn't be safe even if there were some within walking distance. As a result, he doesn't go outside much. Sad.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:21 AM   #73
Morpheus
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight View Post
Old 11-22-2007, 09:28 AM   #74
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
I too lived here as a child. My hang out was Meyers Lake and Dixie Garden area. I caught my first Bass on that old lake you will know it as Champion and Hamel's lake. Had a pellet gun and a banana bike to ride. Parent just like you folks that did not have to worry about a pedophile or the likes of. I did ride horses and had a small john boat. Simple time it was and now the boy has grown to be a business man and sign the bottom line. I have three girls that are girly girls and getting dirty is not there style. They are almost all grown and I am very happy with what I see. This is a major thing to be thankful for everyday of the year. We did dig dirt tunnels at the dead end of Southfield and very lucky they did not cave in on us. Those were the days my friends we thought they would never end
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 06:22 PM   #75
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 249 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocahontas View Post
Okay Pie was your first pie a mud one? I can so remember sitting out under a big ole oak tree on my great grandmother's farm in Simsboro making those mud pies. It was fun getting dirty. We also went swimming in the pond and played in the barn in piles of hay and no telling what else. And yes I even fired a gun at some bottles and cans. The noise scared me to death though.
Ma bathed us at night in some kind of aluminum tub due to a shortage of well water. Thanks for jarring my memory on this thread! See I'm not a total city slicker...my mom's family were country folks!
Is I did the mud pie thing, I can relate to the bath. My dad's dad was from Newellton in Tensas parish. Their house was in the sticks, dirt road, surrounded by cotton fields.They had an out house and we took our baths in a number 3 wash tub on the back step in front of the world. They also had well water, these kids of today would not have faired well back then. We slept at night at night with the window open [ it had no screen on it[, there was no air conditioner. One night we were asleep and a cat jumped through the window and landed in the bed with us. About made all of us have a heart attack, especially whe we could hear the panthers hollering in the field around the house. Funny what simple times those were, except for hoeing or picking cotton.