Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Local News

Notices

Old 05-02-2007, 07:45 AM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Bill Pending - Convicted Sex Offender - Lose Personal Property

Criminals convicted of sex crimes involving children could lose their homes, cars, computers and other property if lawmakers approve two bills proposed during the 2007 legislative session.
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:10 AM   #2
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 257 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
There is absolutely no way that ever survives a Constitutional challenge.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:19 AM   #3
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
I agree with you there. I don't like sex offenders either, but why arrest them, make them serve time, and then put them out on the street? That sounds a lot like double jeopardy to me.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:29 PM   #4
sassy1

Rep Power: 0 sassy1 is a jewel in the rough sassy1 is a jewel in the rough sassy1 is a jewel in the rough
Most people realize that you cannot rehabilitate these offenders but if you can take away the conveniences and things in life that are viewed as privileges it will make them more miserable and I'm all for that. In my opinion they have violated their civil liberties.
sassy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 02:40 PM   #5
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
True, but punishment is suppose to induce regret in the subject and make him aware of the consequences of his actions, thus making him gradually step toward a more civilized lifestyle. Excessive punshiment on the part of society will induce hatred for society in the subject and thus encourage him to further rebel against it by breaking more laws.

In other words, the subject may declare such things as, "Society hates me, so why should I care?" This may not be true, but would you feel differently if society took your house and car away from you after you got out of jail?

I just feel this level of punishment is excessive. We already make sexual predators announce when they move into the neighborhood.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:18 PM   #6
sassy1

Rep Power: 0 sassy1 is a jewel in the rough sassy1 is a jewel in the rough sassy1 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
True, but punishment is suppose to induce regret in the subject and make him aware of the consequences of his actions, thus making him gradually step toward a more civilized lifestyle. Excessive punshiment on the part of society will induce hatred for society in the subject and thus encourage him to further rebel against it by breaking more laws.

In other words, the subject may declare such things as, "Society hates me, so why should I care?" This may not be true, but would you feel differently if society took your house and car away from you after you got out of jail?

I just feel this level of punishment is excessive. We already make sexual predators announce when they move into the neighborhood.
I understand your point AnimeSpirit..there is no easy way to deal with these offenders. I would however comment that consequences have actions. I try to be a good citizen and do not see myself committing a crime that would incarcerate me. But if we do not teach the concept that consequesces have actions then how are people to learn? Civilized society has rules. What's the deterent? Kind of a "you play you pay" philosophy.
sassy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:06 PM   #7
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
I don't know about anyone else. But my view is, if you rape a child don't take their house after they get out of jail. Take their private area. Whack the sucker off. It should be consider the same as force with a deadly weapon. But I'm only talking of children. If it is an adult hey that changes things because you don't know if it is real or payback. But children can't defend their self. Just like the guy in Florida that rape the little girl and then buried her alive under the back porch. I have no sympathy for anyone who hurts a child. If it is a woman who rapes a boy, hey sew it up , she doesn't need it.
piemaker720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:37 PM   #8
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by piemaker720
I don't know about anyone else. But my view is, if you rape a child don't take their house after they get out of jail. Take their private area. Whack the sucker off. It should be consider the same as force with a deadly weapon. But I'm only talking of children. If it is an adult hey that changes things because you don't know if it is real or payback. But children can't defend their self. Just like the guy in Florida that rape the little girl and then buried her alive under the back porch. I have no sympathy for anyone who hurts a child. If it is a woman who rapes a boy, hey sew it up , she doesn't need it.
My goodness Piemaker, I like you already. I am with you on this one!
Old 05-02-2007, 08:50 PM   #9
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
Thanks Belle. I just don't like anyone who hurts children. Fi they really want to punish them, convict them and then send them to me. I'll deal with them with pleasure.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:09 PM   #10
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Lets just kill em for cryin out loud. First, we stick em in with the general population in prison for a couple of weeks, after we make sure everyone knows what theyre in for...let em get a taste of their own medicine...then we give em over to the victim and his/her family so they can take their "pound o flesh"...if theres anything left, or if the victim lacks the stomach to finish it, we shoot the bastard. Bullets are cheap! Society saves a ton of money. Victim gets closure. The maggot'll never hurt anyone else's kid. Everybody's happy!
Old 05-02-2007, 10:20 PM   #11
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

No, let's take out in the woods, stake him out nude, pour honey on him and let the ants feast. Ouch The torment last longer that way. They have time to think.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:09 AM   #12
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Not that I am against punishing criminals......

But what "cruel and unusual" punishment should we inflict upon your own child should he/she be arrested for a crime?

Obviously being devoured by ant's is a punishment that doesn't fit the crime, so be sure to be equally as creative when planing the torture then execution of your own child.
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 06:59 AM   #13
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 316 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
As a parent of three girls

I could get real mean to someone that had raped or killed my child. I think it best to use the Al method and just give them their day in court and if found guilty then one bullet from the family if they choose and get closer. I think if I abused someone it would haunt me all the days of my life. Liquidate them and be done with it. This once again is in cases of "aggravated" rape or murder. This is a bad subject for a parent to dwell on for very long
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:50 PM   #14
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

My punishment might sound cruel and lingering, but what about a child that endures a rape for days,or months. Take Jessica in Florida, John Cooey, they say kept her for 3 days. Raping her before buring her alive under his back porch. Don't you think that was not cruel and lingering? Was it quick for her? What about the man that had a room under ground beneath his shed that he kept his victims for days and weeks to torture then kill. Luckily 2 of his victims manage to escape. Where is the justice there? Quick get the abuser, kill him. I think a person who commits a crime against a child needs to be made to think long and hard about what pain he inficted. If you kill him immediately then what did he think about. Some of these victims carry it with them a lifetime. Do you think just because you kill the person they forget.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:05 PM   #15
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/LAW/04/2....ap/index.html

Quote:
The two girls have testified that Hinson, 48, took them from a bedroom in their Darlington County home while they slept and dragged them to a secret underground room. Prosecutors allege he bound them with duct tape, raped them and left them to die because the room had no air supply. The girls managed to free themselves and escape, prosecutors maintain.