Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Local News

Notices

Old 04-24-2007, 10:54 AM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Shreveport police routinely take assault weapons off the streets

Shreveport police take assault weapons off the streets on average of 3 to 5 daily
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:02 PM   #2
MOJO

Rep Power: 0 MOJO will become famous soon enough MOJO will become famous soon enough
Question domestic terror

is that with or without resistance...you know how rough those streets can be

Seriously, that is alarming yet reassuring at the same time. If they are averaging that number, think about how many are really out there...nationwide even. Which university or school will be next? Will it be in our community? Heaven forbid.
MOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:17 AM   #3
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 257 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
I can't read the article so exactly what are they qualifying as "Assault weapons?" If it's what used to be banned, then who cares? Those are legal now and no more dangerous than any other weapon. If they mean automatic weapons then good, automatic weapons are less deadly than most other weapons because almost nobody that uses them has the training to make them effective.

If I had to choose between a gang-banger shooting at me with a 12ga pump shotgun or an AK47 I'll take the AK every time.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:27 AM   #4
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
I think the term "assault weapon" refers to weapons that are designed for combat, as opposed to weapons designed for hunting or sports.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:47 AM   #5
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 257 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Lots of people thought that was what it meant in the assault weapon ban but it wasn't. The .22 my grandfather gave my dad in 1960 qualified as an "assault weapon" under that law because it held 15 rounds in a detachable magazine.

There is no central authority that determines what the word "assault weapon" means so I was wondering what KTBS's was (I can't read the article).
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:24 AM   #6
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
I dunno. This could turn into one of those gun control topics. Some people believe anything that is magazine-fed is for combat though gun enthusiasts will say different. I really have no idea.