Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Doctors help Shreveport Infant Fight Leukemia

Doctors help Shreveport infant with a rare genetic makeup fight leukemia
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:29 AM   #2
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbl_admin
Doctors help Shreveport infant with a rare genetic makeup fight leukemia
Does anyone on the board know what all is involved to get tested for a bone marrow match ? I give blood three times a year and have never been tested to see if I match anybody. I see it goes into a data base until you are 65 years old that is a very good thing. Give blood it is free and it will help someone in need
Isaac-Saxxon
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:20 AM   #3
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
I have just the information you need. Imagine that.

One option you have to get registered is this:

www.marrow.org

This website is the National Bone Marrow registry site. You will have two ways that you can get registered. They will either send you a kit via the mail and you will swab your cheek. You will send the kit back to them and bam you are registered. The other option is to look for a center near you and unfortunately the closest one to us is in New Orleans. HOWEVER, if there is a current bone marrow drive going on for this infant and I did not read the story, the may be collecting samples locally. You will have to check the source. I am sure that they probably are.

There are literally thousands of people who need to find bone marrow donors. People suffering from multiple myeloma, lymphoma, leukemia, etc. You can help make the difference in someone's life by doing this. You may never ever get called to donate, but you never know.

Giving blood...cancer patients, burn patients, premature infants, surgery patients, and on and on it goes require blood daily. Please give to help these people. Some of us can not give because of the medicine we take or our medical history. For those of you who can you need to give and give as often as allowed.

Thanks!
Texasbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:40 AM   #4
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle
I have just the information you need. Imagine that.

One option you have to get registered is this:

www.marrow.org

This website is the National Bone Marrow registry site. You will have two ways that you can get registered. They will either send you a kit via the mail and you will swab your cheek. You will send the kit back to them and bam you are registered. The other option is to look for a center near you and unfortunately the closest one to us is in New Orleans. HOWEVER, if there is a current bone marrow drive going on for this infant and I did not read the story, the may be collecting samples locally. You will have to check the source. I am sure that they probably are.

There are literally thousands of people who need to find bone marrow donors. People suffering from multiple myeloma, lymphoma, leukemia, etc. You can help make the difference in someone's life by doing this. You may never ever get called to donate, but you never know.

Giving blood...cancer patients, burn patients, premature infants, surgery patients, and on and on it goes require blood daily. Please give to help these people. Some of us can not give because of the medicine we take or our medical history. For those of you who can you need to give and give as often as allowed.

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2007, 01:03 PM   #5
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 261 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Synthetic Blood?

This is interesting. Pretty soon, we'll be able to create synthetic blood that can keep up with the demand of health patients. I'm sure, not long afterwards, we'll have synthetic alternatives for other things, like bone marrow.

http://www.msu.edu/~brinksan/intro.htm
Old 05-01-2007, 07:27 AM   #6
sbl_admin
Administrator

Post Updated News Story

A new story has been added to the "Read More" section of this topic, as follows

Shreveport Times -- May 1 2007 7:27 AM
Parents of young leukemia patient ask Oprah to help
Old 05-01-2007, 08:22 AM   #7
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Ok, boys and girls of this board, this is where you can actually stand up and do something to help someone. This baby really needs to find a donor and his odds are not in his favor at the moment. The more people tested the more likely a chance they will find a match for him.

So, how about each of you getting tested? Let's see here who can do something to help their fellow human. Who's willing? I'll even go out on a limb and help you get tested or tell you how. I've already posted it once, but there are obviously places in the city right now where they are doing drives to help this child.

Who is willing?????????????
Old 05-01-2007, 08:44 AM   #8
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Ok, boys and girls of this board, this is where you can actually stand up and do something to help someone. This baby really needs to find a donor and his odds are not in his favor at the moment. The more people tested the more likely a chance they will find a match for him.

So, how about each of you getting tested? Let's see here who can do something to help their fellow human. Who's willing? I'll even go out on a limb and help you get tested or tell you how. I've already posted it once, but there are obviously places in the city right now where they are doing drives to help this child.

Who is willing?????????????
I am more than willing I am sure like giving blood that you must meet certain criteria. No tattoos in the last year, no blood born diseases such as HIV or Hep C and many other questions. It is the gift of life
Old 05-01-2007, 12:12 PM   #9
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Interesting, only one person willing to get tested to potentially help a child but maybe able to help others. However many others willing to get on here all day long and argue about Christianity, homosexuals, and Delta airlines.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:36 PM   #10
sbl_admin
Administrator

Post Updated News Story

A new story has been added to the "Read More" section of this topic, as follows

KSLA -- May 1 2007 2:36 PM
Bone Marrow Drive Planned For Ethan Powell
Old 05-01-2007, 02:54 PM   #11
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
So Ms Belle, what exactly is involved in getting tested for bone marrow transplant? I know little on this subject. Plz give us the real scoop! And what all happens if you are a match?
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:51 PM   #12
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

To get tested all you are going to do is either :

a: Show up at the Horseshoe for the donor drive and get a swab of your mouth taken.

b: You can order the test online and do it yourself.

If you by chance were a match for this child or someone else in the country who needed a transplant, then the doctors would need to harvest your bone marrow. It is a day surgery procedure. I will not say it is painless but it is not extremely painful. It involves harvesting the marrow from your hip bones (across your back). This is done along the same lines as a bone marrow biopsy if you are familiar with that procedure. It's not a risky procedure and is short in duration but gives a life saving gift just like blood!

Are you going to get tested Rhertz??????????????????????????
Old 05-01-2007, 06:46 PM   #13
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold
Bone Marrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
Does anyone on the board know what all is involved to get tested for a bone marrow match ? I give blood three times a year and have never been tested to see if I match anybody. I see it goes into a data base until you are 65 years old that is a very good thing. Give blood it is free and it will help someone in need
Isaac-Saxxon
I am on teh registry. My wife works in Bone Marrow Transplant at LSU and ha s actually performed some. If youre a match they bring you in and take it out of your hip. The people that need these and actully get them are very sick. This is pretty much there last chance.
purpahurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:52 PM   #14
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
This is done along the same lines as a bone marrow biopsy if you are familiar with that procedure.
Can't say that I am. But if you need to packetsniff your 802.11a/b/g network, I might be your man!

Quote:
It's not a risky procedure and is short in duration but gives a life saving gift just like blood!

Are you going to get tested Rhertz??????????????????????????
????????????????... Well I'm thinking about it.....Don't pressure me!
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote