Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Local News

Notices

Old 05-14-2007, 08:22 AM   #76
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
>playing the odds with her life

That is what every single parent does every single minute of every single day.

You can't seem to decide, am I an unfit parent for breaking the law or for endangering her life? What about when she starts school, will i be an unfit parent for letting her ride the school bus? That's legal, but it means she won't be wearing a seat belt, so I'm confused as to its parent-worthiness.

>I'm sure that will explain the disfigurment and multiple scars she'll have to endure as a direct result of your carlessness.

Hahahahaha. She'll be the modern elephant man! People will come from miles around to see the hulking monster of a woman whose parents dared to let her ride out of her car seat!

>The Law has the been the arbiter of what is right and wrong since the term "law" was invented.

No, it hasn't, it has been the arbiter of what is legal. I can host a cockfight at my house and feed my kid McDonald's three meals a day and invite all of my friends over to smoke in her room while she's sleeping without breaking the law, but it hardly makes me right, does it? Likewise, I can ignore laws that make absolutely no difference in her life and it doesn't make me wrong.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:07 PM   #77
B1FF

Rep Power: 0 B1FF has a spectacular aura about B1FF has a spectacular aura about
WONT SUMBODY THNK Of DA CHILDRENS!!!! DA BIFSTA DOES!!!
B1FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:06 PM   #78
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
People will come from miles around to see the hulking monster of a woman whose parents dared to let her ride out of her car seat!
By this standard, what do you all think of my parents of letting us kids ride in the bed of a pickup truck back in the 60's? Not even inside of the vehicle? Back before Brain was born? Heck both my mom and dad started driving around age 12 and neither even had a drivers license! (where was no such tax/fee for driving yet). Back when men were men and women were women.. I have wondered if we should all become Amish because it would save 10X the lives lost in Iraq for socalled nothing.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:12 PM   #79
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
By this standard, what do you all think of my parents of letting us kids ride in the bed of a pickup truck back in the 60's? Not even inside of the vehicle? Back before Brain was born? Heck both my mom and dad started driving around age 12 and neither even had a drivers license! (where was no such tax/fee for driving yet). Back when men were men and women were women.. I have wondered if we should all become Amish because it would save 10X the lives lost in Iraq for socalled nothing.
So rhertz you were a pickup truck child. Did you ride in the back with the goat and the chickens You hay seed you
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:39 PM   #80
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
What we did in the 60's is alot different than it is now. I rode in the back of a pickup lots of times. I don't fault your parents for that, but are you saying that in today's time your parents would do it still. You say you agree with Joe, but does that also mean you agree about Brokeback Mountain being shown to 12 year olds. Would your parents also show a movie about gay cowboys to children. You preach about the 60's, but did you have to worry about people going into the school to shoot anyone or everyone. No that was not a worry. When are ya going to understand times change, things change. I have one more idea, so listen. Are you telling me that you disciplined your children the same way you were disciplined. Be honest!
piemaker720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:55 PM   #81
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by piemaker720
What we did in the 60's is alot different than it is now. I rode in the back of a pickup lots of times. I don't fault your parents for that, but are you saying that in today's time your parents would do it still. You say you agree with Joe, but does that also mean you agree about Brokeback Mountain being shown to 12 year olds. Would your parents also show a movie about gay cowboys to children. You preach about the 60's, but did you have to worry about people going into the school to shoot anyone or everyone. No that was not a worry. When are ya going to understand times change, things change. I have one more idea, so listen. Are you telling me that you disciplined your children the same way you were disciplined. Be honest!
No I make my kids run after the pickup truck down the middle of the highway. Sometimes I slam on the brakes to give them hope, then I punch it and take off laughing!

I've never seen joepole use a emoticon (sp?) but he wants to give me a high five. I just know he does.

Seriously your point is well taken piemaker. My reponse is that my generation has witnessed about as much change as all prior generations put together. It is not easy to redefine mankind the way my generation has had to do in order to keep up with all the movements over the last 50 years...
Old 05-14-2007, 08:34 PM   #82
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Rhertz, Why are you trying to be so fence riding on this???????????

You would never ever risk your children's safety, not for a minute, if what you were doing was dangerous.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:49 PM   #83
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
I know some of the things you say are a joke. HaHa! But you still never answered one of my questions. I was from the same time period as you. I know we never had to worry about the things that go on now days. When we were young we didn't worry about whether we are going to have someone come to school with a gun. Kids were not beating and raping our elderly. Children did not worry walking down the road or playing out doors by ourselves, no fear of strangers. Did it bother you to walk blocks from home? Would you let your child walk blocks now days? What we dealt with back then ain't nothing compared to now. How many times back in the 60's did you hear of sex offenders? So joke, high five it, and still try to say we were worse off.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:54 PM   #84
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
>you agree [with joe] about Brokeback Mountain being shown to 12 year olds.

What exactly would he be agreeing to? That it was the wrong thing to do? (which is my stance) I thought everyone here agreed on that.

>You preach about the 60's, but did you have to worry about people going into the school to shoot anyone or everyone. No that was not a worry.

Before VA Tech, do you know what the deadliest (tied with Columbine, actually) school shooting in US history was? Do you know when it was? Charles Whitman in 1966.

Do you know what/when the deadliest US school attack of any method was? Hint: It was before WWII.

Although it may not have been a worry because the news moved more slowly back then. We had a solid week of 24/7 coverage about VA Tech when a simple headline story in one day's paper would have been sufficient (and much more professional) 40 years ago.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:57 PM   #85
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

>How many times back in the 60's did you hear of sex offenders?

That has more to do with the media than with actual crimes.

Hysteria sells. Just watch any new story about the "rampant problem" with Internet predators. There were plenty of pedophiles in the 50s and 60s.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:10 PM   #86
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

The only thing I can agree with is that the news media over does things. They get on a subject and they are stuck on it. I got tired of listening about VA Tech. Charles Whitman may have killed in a school shooting, but it still is not like today.When you listen from week to week now it is filled with school shooting, workplace shootings, snipers, sex offenders, and teen abuse against others or elderly. You have your drive- by shootings, need I go on. Oh the 60's was hell.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:06 PM   #87
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle
Rhertz, Why are you trying to be so fence riding on this???????????

You would never ever risk your children's safety, not for a minute, if what you were doing was dangerous.
Very true, and that is no joke, (but I might joke about it!) Seriously I can remember some times, perhaps a few seconds out of millions, where my kids were not buckled up. There was that time my son projectile vomited in the drive thru at McDonalds. (This was before getting any food so no McDonalds joke please) Certainly everyone who has a child has moved horizontally at over 10 MPH with an unbuckled child at least once.

But then just feeding my child McDonalds in the first place should be grounds for abuse of child safety laws. Why not go there?
Old 05-14-2007, 11:27 PM   #88
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
sure, raising kids is a crapshoot.
I worry about them all the damn time.
but at the same time, when my kids were much younger, a friend of mine gave me this great big trampoline. Damn thing scared the hell out of me.. but man did my kids have a blast on it. Allowed them hours and hours of fun, and helped to burn off all that excess energy they had.. but man did it scare me at times.

I've got this absolutely huge oak tree in my back yard, I rigged up this incredible rope swing.. the kids are able to get on it at the top of the hill.. but when they take off on the swing, it swings them WAY THE HECK out there, by the time they reach the other end of the swinging motion.. towards the bottom of the hill, they are a good 70ft in the air. (if I had to guess).

if I could.. i'd build a wall so high nothing could tear it down, to protect my children.. but at the same time.. I have to allow them to be kids.. and be fearless, and do those things only kids can do..

They like doin' stupid **** on skateboards too..

But when they get in my car, they have a seatbelt on...

LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:09 AM   #89
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz

Hey, they also thought smoking cigarettes posed no significant health risk....but over time people started collecting data and we discovered that this "theory" was false.

Same with riding in the back of the truck or standing on the front seat. No it's wasn't any safer then than it is today (with the exception of fewer cars on the road), but you weren't repeated told it was wrong and there weren't any laws mandating a certain level of safety either.....
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:47 AM   #90
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight
sure, raising kids is a crapshoot.
I worry about them all the damn time.
but at the same time, when my kids were much younger, a friend of mine gave me this great big trampoline. Damn thing scared the hell out of me.. but man did my kids have a blast on it. Allowed them hours and hours of fun, and helped to burn off all that excess energy they had.. but man did it scare me at times.

I've got this absolutely huge oak tree in my back yard, I rigged up this incredible rope swing.. the kids are able to get on it at the top of the hill.. but when they take off on the swing, it swings them WAY THE HECK out there, by the time they reach the other end of the swinging motion.. towards the bottom of the hill, they are a good 70ft in the air. (if I had to guess).

if I could.. i'd build a wall so high nothing could tear it down, to protect my children.. but at the same time.. I have to allow them to be kids.. and be fearless, and do those things only kids can do..

They like doin' stupid **** on skateboards too..

But when they get in my car, they have a seatbelt on...

Latenight!!!!You said it so well.