Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > World News

Notices

Old 05-08-2007, 11:39 AM   #1
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
3-Year-Old Killed At Car Wash

http://www.wyff4.com/news/13274709/d...0421&qs=1;bp=t

Quote:
A 3-year-old boy was killed Monday night at a Greenville County Car wash when a pickup truck rolled over the child.

See Joe, you never know.
piemaker720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:34 PM   #2
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by piemaker720
See Joe, you never know.
Is that really a fair statement? My sister and brother-in-law happen to own a car wash. It is against the rules to leave your child strapped in a child seat and run it through the tunnel. The car should be empty to get run through.. The fact is that a child seat has nothing to do with keeping a 3 year old from getting killed at a car wash. This was pure negligence on the part of the childs guardian at that moment, probably a parent who will be kicking themselves for years to come. Sad...

Quote:
According the coroner’s office, the child's parents were vacuuming their car and gave him change to buy a soft drink from a machine.
Yeah I thought so. Using a sad story like this to make a jab at joepole is just wrong. Not that he needs me to stick up for him. I don't even know joepole, but there are times I think this board gets polarized (or digitized) into 1-bit black and white judgements. Speaking for myself, I enjoy reading a variety of opinions as long as they aren't evil or illegal....
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:01 PM   #3
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
My point was not to make a jab at Joe but to say accidents happen. I did not mention a car seat. What kind of person would get out to wash their car and leave a child in it with the windows up. I blame the parents of that child because he was too young to be running loose by hisself.Even they were not washing the car, but vaccuming it.
As for Joe, if he does not want to be critized for comments he makes then he should think about some of them. [Like on the 17 chidren] Where he has more children each time he loses one. I DO NOT find that funny. It sounds very heartless. He has made comments about locking his in her room. Again, not funny, heartless.
So I say again he needs to think some before he throws out some of his comments.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:21 PM   #4
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
O.k. lighten up everyone I thought Joe's comment was pretty funny and to the point as well.

It was mentioned in that other thread. about the larger families everyone used to have. You had to have as many kids as you could.. for you didn't know which ones would be taken by yellow fever or small pox or the like.
and then who would work the farm ?
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:44 PM   #5
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Get real. You found his comment funny.
His exact comment was I
Quote:
I only wanted two kids, but we keep losing them to traffic accidents so we keep having to make more to ensure we have enough in stock.
No where did he mention losing them to yellow fever or small pox or even working a farm.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:53 PM   #6
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 261 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
Yeah I thought so. Using a sad story like this to make a jab at joepole is just wrong. Not that he needs me to stick up for him. I don't even know joepole, but there are times I think this board gets polarized (or digitized) into 1-bit black and white judgements. Speaking for myself, I enjoy reading a variety of opinions as long as they aren't evil or illegal....
This doesn't feel like a jab at Joe. This is, as Pie says, an example that accidents do happen. In addition, accidents can be prevented with a little common sense and some simple preventive measures.

Joe was implying on another thread that preventive measures are not necessary because accidents are so rare. This is a common misconception that Piemaker was trying to dispel. She wasn't at all taking a jab at Joe.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:01 PM   #7
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Actually, my point was that we all add risk to the lives of ourselves and our children for the sake of pleasure/convenience.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:06 PM   #8
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 261 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Of course, I can agree to that. Simply driving a car adds risk in exchange for convenience. However, does this mean we should do so foolishly? Does it mean we should not license people to drive and have laws that make us drive safely?

By enacting these conveniences safely and wisely, we get the convenience without as much risk.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:13 PM   #9
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Correct. The difference is see a five block drive through Spring Lake as a risk not worth considering and you people seem to think it's the automotive equivalent of Russian Roulette.

We all draw a line somewhere.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:16 PM   #10
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
Either that, or the government draws the line for us. I vote that individuals have the freedom to make their own mistakes, rather than have no freedoms and make no mistakes.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:33 PM   #11
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
By enacting these conveniences safely and wisely, we get the convenience without as much risk.
Without much risk? 43,443 people were killed on the road last year despite billions for traffic citations, airbags, seatbelts, education, and more. I have known lots of people killed in car accidents... my brother, my bookeeper, my next door neighbor... and I hardly know anyone killed any other way (other than growing old)

Why don't we make our kids wear crash helmets? Wouldn't that make them safer? How about 4-point harnesses like professional drivers have used for decades? Heh, I guess "convenience" and "safety" are relative terms in our society.

Seems like I would be the one pushing for these measures given my personal experiences. But I know there is no reward without some risk involved. I also know that insurance companies play their games too. Why don't car's have heavy roll bars for instance? The irony is that if I install a safety device such as a roll bar to my car to make me (or my family) safer, the insurance company would freak out and actually raise my rates. In other words, its not all about pure safety, it is often about money or convenience or something else.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:37 PM   #12
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
Correct. The difference is see a five block drive through Spring Lake as a risk not worth considering and you people seem to think it's the automotive equivalent of Russian Roulette.

True and it's really personal where that line is. Everyone just seems to think why gamble with your kids' life. Just inconvenience yourself for a moment by putting them in a car seat. It's not really a Russian Roulette, but it's just a simple gesture that could turn out to be a wise one.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:03 PM   #13
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by piemaker720
Get real. You found his comment funny.
His exact comment was I
Quote:
I only wanted two kids, but we keep losing them to traffic accidents so we keep having to make more to ensure we have enough in stock.

yes, that is FUNNY. in fact, I laughed out loud when I read it.
Having read other comments from Joe, I quickly took this as sarcasm, as a comment on the thread/topic itself .

Joe's always good for a laugh
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:28 PM   #14
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Well whatever, I do not care to discuss JOEPOLE anymore with anyone else. God forbid if we should pick on him or hurt his little feelings.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:07 PM   #15
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

I can promise you that nothing anyone ever says to me via the Internet will offend me or hurt my feelings, so feel free to be candid.