Go Back   Shreveport.com > SBLive! Groups > Nishiki Bayou Maples

Notices

Old 08-28-2006, 10:58 AM   #1
geodood
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 geodood has a spectacular aura about geodood has a spectacular aura about
Do you have a Japanese Maple?

If you happen to own a Japanese Maple, I would really like to see some pictures. I am ready to take more pictures myself, but many of my specimens have "leaf tip scorch" due to the excessive August heat and drought. I think I'll take a few pictures anyway.
geodood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 07:34 PM   #2
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
I got one !

I got one, given as a gift, trying to keep it from getting scorched and watered regular.. check it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2727.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	16  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2732.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	17  

LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:32 AM   #3
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
So currently my maple looks like a stick.. is that normal for this time of year ?
Old 11-29-2006, 12:33 PM   #4
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Japanese Maples

I have 4 in my back yard but I don't think I have any good pics handy. I'll see if I can remember to take some.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 12:50 PM   #5
geodood
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 geodood has a spectacular aura about geodood has a spectacular aura about
Latenight, yes it is supposed to look like a stick, albeit a slightly bigger and bigger stick each year. Then it will start to look like a twig someday(ducking). And one day it will slowly turn into a branch, LOL. Then technically I guess you could call it a shrub.

Even if it looks dead, it is very alive. Watch the nodes and you will see them swell as spring draws near when the new leaves finally emerge. Don't bring it inside. Leave it outdoors and keep an eye on it and just don't let it get too dry.

Joepole I would really like some pics, but you'd better hurry! The leaves are falling on most of my maples as we speak. But some still have some leaves. The upcoming cold front should take care of that.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:57 PM   #6
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Falling Leaves

You can't even see the grass in my yard it's so covered with leaves. All since about Saturday or Sunday.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:23 PM   #7
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Do you have a Japanese Maple?

No Maple trees but I do have three oak trees. I have one deciduous conifer do you know what kind of tree that might be ?
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:32 PM   #8
geodood
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
No Maple trees but I do have three oak trees. I have one deciduous conifer do you know what kind of tree that might be ?
a mutt tree! Actually some Japanese conifers are worth as much as maples when they are bonsai and very old.

I only know about and I am only interested in Japanese maples. Although I must bite my tongue and admit that there are a few American maples looking pretty good this fall.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:38 AM   #9
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Photos of Maples

The photo section of this forum isn't very intuitive, but I think this is a link to the pics I uploaded:

http://www.shreveport.com/forums/vie...30&k2=0&gid2=0
Old 11-30-2006, 11:30 PM   #10
geodood
Advanced Member

Nice pictures Joepole! Thanks for posting those. Your maples look to be at least 10 years old or more. (upright red varieties such as Bloodgood)

As for the photo section being intuitive, any suggestions or comments for improvements are well taken by the management. Feel free to fire away.

You posted your pictures to your personal photo gallery which is fine and well. That's what it's for. However if you choose to JOIN the maple group, then you can also post pictures there too, and then they will appear under the groups photo gallery. That is, they will appear under the group with a category that is your username. But I'm happy to see maples anywhere and any time I can! Thanks once again! Please post more pictures this spring when the new leaves emerge (bright red). That is my favorite time of year.

P.S. I'm thinking of sneeking around Shreveport next spring and taking covert pictures of japanese maples all around town. LOL, I wonder if that is legal? (as long as I do not trespass on property of course)
Old 12-01-2006, 11:23 AM   #11
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
The photo section of this forum isn't very intuitive, but I think this is a link to the pics I uploaded:

http://www.shreveport.com/forums/vie...30&k2=0&gid2=0
nice pics, nice lookin' trees and I dig that fence.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:33 PM   #12
Hattie Thomas

Rep Power: 0 Hattie Thomas is on a distinguished road Hattie Thomas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Hattie Thomas
Maplesyrup Chugging

I do love maple syrup.
Hattie Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 06:39 PM   #13
geodood
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie Thomas
I do love maple syrup.
LOL, I have never heard of Japanese maple SYRUP, but if it existed, it would be very rare and expensive indeed!! Acer palmatum is a very slow grower and doesn't grow very large by comparison to its North American counterpart.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:33 PM   #14
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Fence

I love that wall, as well. It's made from the same brick as my house and my neighbors and it surrounds the back yard. The brick is from an old building (I believe it was a sugar mill) in downtown Shreveport that got torn down.