Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Food & Dining

Notices

Old 05-02-2007, 10:38 PM   #1
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold
Fresh Veggies

I'm not a vegan by any means, but ain't nothing better than fresh okry, 'maters, corn, squash, and don't forget purpahurl peas!
purpahurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:45 PM   #2
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
I agree. Throw a big mess of greens in with it and man you are set. Fry a little cucumber and eat away. Of coarse the maters got to be cold.
piemaker720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:36 PM   #3
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Too many veggies........
Old 05-03-2007, 04:11 AM   #4
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
Too many veggies........
Never to many veggies. I like to eat okra till my socks wont stay up
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:31 AM   #5
Sheba
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 217 Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by piemaker720
I agree. Throw a big mess of greens in with it and man you are set. Fry a little cucumber and eat away. Of coarse the maters got to be cold.
Fried cucumber - now that's interesting. I've always thought of myself as a country girl - I love veggies - fresh & cooked. And being from the south, well everything gets battered & dipped in hot oil at some point.

The cucumbers are new to me though. I like them raw with salt, pepper, and little mayo in a sandwich. Nice, cool refreshing summer lunch! Same with tomatoes - especially garden fresh. No hot house tomato will do. Oh, and the tomatoes need to be room temp - not refrigerated!

Who's got a garden??
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 06:43 AM   #6
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba
Fried cucumber - now that's interesting. I've always thought of myself as a country girl - I love veggies - fresh & cooked. And being from the south, well everything gets battered & dipped in hot oil at some point.

The cucumbers are new to me though. I like them raw with salt, pepper, and little mayo in a sandwich. Nice, cool refreshing summer lunch! Same with tomatoes - especially garden fresh. No hot house tomato will do. Oh, and the tomatoes need to be room temp - not refrigerated!

Who's got a garden??
Did someone ask about a garden ? I have 32 tomatoes and four rows of Okrie and cucumbers and peppers all you can eat. Deer meat in the freezer and fresh fish too. Thank God I am a country boy see ya at the dinner table.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:50 AM   #7
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Good to know which garden to raid this summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fried cucumbers? That's a first for me as well. I love fried eggplant though! Fresh tomatoes with salt and pepper! Fresh peas this summer! Can't wait for the fresh veggies, bring em on!
Old 05-03-2007, 08:47 AM   #8
Sheba
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 217 Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle
Good to know which garden to raid this summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fried cucumbers? That's a first for me as well. I love fried eggplant though! Fresh tomatoes with salt and pepper! Fresh peas this summer! Can't wait for the fresh veggies, bring em on!
Yes ma'am!! I can do the fried eggplant and fresh peas as well!! That's good living!!
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:36 AM   #9
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
Hey fried cucumber is good. Just peel it, slice it, salt and pepper, flour then deep fry. If you ever had fried green tomatoes [my favorite] they have an acidity taste. But fried cucumber has a sweeter taste. They won't give you indigestion. Try them
Old 05-03-2007, 10:41 AM   #10
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Hey fried cucumber is good. Just peel it, slice it, salt and pepper, flour then deep fry. If you ever had fried green tomatoes [my favorite] they have an acidity taste. But fried cucumber has a sweeter taste. They won't give you indigestion. Try them
I will try them for sure. I like fried green tomatoes I think you could fry just about anything and it would taste good
Old 05-03-2007, 12:06 PM   #11
geodood
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 geodood has a spectacular aura about geodood has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba
Who's got a garden??
I do. I have only missed a couple of years since the 80's. I grow tomatoes and peppers mainly. This year I'm also growing two eggplants and my daughter is growing a peanut plant for fun.
geodood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:24 PM   #12
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

How about these Tommy Toes

These girls already have green tomato's do not get caught crossing my fence to try to fry those babies they must be red to eat
Click on photo to enlarge

Click image for larger version

Name:	5-3-07 001.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	704.1 KB
ID:	433
Photo taken 5/3/07
Old 05-03-2007, 01:32 PM   #13
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

I want cross the fence. When you go to the garden just chunck one over, then let me know, I'll find it. Them babies are good fired.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:53 PM   #14
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Hanging Gardens in Ancient Babylon

This was the first square foot garden done by Sargon in Ancient Babylon !
Gilgamesh would follow Sargon of Akkad and they would grow everything from rose buds to hanging gardens
Just a note here that Saddam tried to rebuild these and well it did not work out so good for him
Click on picture to enlarge
Click image for larger version

Name:	HG.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	434
Old 05-03-2007, 02:15 PM   #15
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
I want cross the fence. When you go to the garden just chunk one over, then let me know, I'll find it. Them babies are good fired.
In one more month you will not be able to see the baskets at all Then maybe I will give you some green tomatoes but you have to cook me some too