Go Back   Shreveport.com > SBLive! Groups > Ark-la-tex Coral Reef Aquariums

Notices

Old 10-17-2007, 05:25 PM   #1
Morpheus
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of
water quality for aquariums

Coralman,

Just wondering if you have ever tested plain tap water here in Shreveport. Is it suitable for aquarium use?
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:41 PM   #2
Coralman

Rep Power: 0 Coralman is a jewel in the rough Coralman is a jewel in the rough Coralman is a jewel in the rough
I use Shreveport water with a activated carbon filter. I think that people that crash aquariums tend to blame it on the water supply for the last 25 years. The most important thing is to get the chlorine out and oxygen saturation up. There are those that live and die by reverse osmosis filters and they do clean the water good with micron and carbon that do most of the work. Bottom line is that extra 10% worth all the work ? Not for me on a commercial application. The RO water is very good for drinking some people even hook them up to the ice machine. Now if you hobby then you might want to check in to RO but my tanks look pretty good with tap water. Thanks for the question.
CM

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 208.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	609.6 KB
ID:	1627
This is a 270 gallon coral tank in my store and I use tap water only. I mix it for a day before I use it most important !!
Old 10-17-2007, 05:41 PM   #3
vixweb
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 219 vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of
When properly treated, it is fine. But, coral man is the man!
vixweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:14 PM   #4
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold
I have a 150 gallon tank. When I do a water change I siphon out about 50 gallons at a time and fill it up with the hose. I have never had a problem. Slow and steady wins the race. Water temp is what I worry about.
purpahurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:15 PM   #5
Morpheus
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpahurl View Post
I have a 150 gallon tank. When I do a water change I siphon out about 50 gallons at a time and fill it up with the hose. I have never had a problem. Slow and steady wins the race. Water temp is what I worry about.
thanks for the replies. My tank runs about 78F with the lights on.
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:17 AM   #6
vixweb
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 219 vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of
Quote:
That seems risky with un-treated water, but, if you havent had any problems.... What kind of aquarium do you have-Freshwater or saltwater?
vixweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:36 AM   #7
Coralman

Rep Power: 0 Coralman is a jewel in the rough Coralman is a jewel in the rough Coralman is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
purpahurl you are taking unneeded risk with your aquarium. The cost of a bottle of chlorine remover is just 5.00 and will treat two thousand gallons. You would be better off to do a 20% water change and let the water mix over night in a trash can. I know what you are doing is much easier until you have a crash then all the time you saved will be used up in one day as you dig out.