Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Religion & Spirit

Notices

Old 12-18-2006, 06:09 PM   #31
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Evolution vs creationism AKA "The Monkeymen vs The Bible Thumpers"

The two need not be mutually exclusive.
Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:18 PM   #32
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Newtonian gravity is, indeed, considered a law, but that doesn't mean it's true, just that it's accepted as correct for most purposes. It certainly doesn't hold up a quantum scales. If it did none of us would be here.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:25 PM   #33
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
Newtonian gravity is, indeed, considered a law, but that doesn't mean it's true, just that it's accepted as correct for most purposes. It certainly doesn't hold up a quantum scales. If it did none of us would be here.
LOL, isn't that where "Dark Matter" comes into play ?

Quote:
In astrophysics, dark matter is matter that does not emit or reflect enough electromagnetic radiation to be detected directly, but whose presence may be inferred from its gravitational effects on visible matter. Among the observed phenomena consistent with the existence of dark matter are the rotational speeds of galaxies and orbital velocities of galaxies in clusters, gravitational lensing of background objects by galaxy clusters such as the Bullet cluster, and the temperature distribution of hot gas in galaxies and clusters of galaxies. Dark matter also plays a central role in structure formation and Big Bang nucleosynthesis, and has measurable effects on the anisotropy of the cosmic microwave background. All these lines of evidence suggest that galaxies, clusters of galaxies, and the universe as a whole contain far more matter than is directly observable, indicating that the remainder is dark.
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:06 AM   #34
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
No. General relativity and Newtonian physics are at odds with each other at nucleus-level scales..
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:35 PM   #35
Bob
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 221 Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice
Dispelling The Top 10 Myths About Evolution

You all should just love this

Dispelling The Top 10 Myths About Evolution

Quote:
Recent surveys have revealed that only about half of Americans realize that humans have never lived side by side with dinosaurs, and about the same number reject the idea that humans developed from earlier species of animals.
This lack of knowledge, in the face of overwhelming scientific evidence for evolution, springs from a number of negative influences in contemporary society: poor secondary education in some regions of the country, misinformation in the mass media, and deliberate obfuscation by supporters of Creationism and Intelligent Design.
Quote:
In The Top 10 Myths About Evolution, educators Cameron M. Smith and Charles Sullivan clearly dispel the ten most common myths about evolution that continue to mislead average Americans. Using a refreshing, jargon-free style, they set the record straight on claims that evolution is "just a theory," that Darwinian explanations of life undercut morality, that Intelligent Design is a legitimate alternative to conventional science, that humans come from chimpanzees, and six other popular but erroneous notions.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:39 AM   #36
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Dispelling The Top 10 Myths About Staff Writers

[quote=Bob]You all should just love this [quote]

I found it funny....

Quote:
Though the United States is the world leader in science and technology, many of its citizens display a shocking ignorance regarding basic scientific facts.
Their first sentence is a total contradiction in and of itself. They start off by establishing that the US is a world leader in science and technology. This is fact. Then they go on to express an opinion that contradicts that fact, and indeed insults "the leader" with no explanation of how their contradiction makes any sense.

Quote:
This lack of knowledge, in the face of overwhelming scientific evidence for evolution, springs from a number of negative influences in contemporary society: poor secondary education in some regions of the country, misinformation in the mass media, and deliberate obfuscation by supporters of Creationism and Intelligent Design.
This statement is equally true:
This lack of knowledge in the face of overwhelming scientific, historical and biblical evidence, springs from a number of negative influences in contemporary society: Poor historical education in some regions of the country, misinformation in the mass media (especially Staff Writers), and deliberate obfuscation by supporters of Atheism and Macro Evolution.

This topic is all about opinion and rhetoric, or else someone can simply lay out the proof by creating life from scratch in a laboratory out of "chemical soup". Until such an experiment can be demonstrated, then the notion that man evolved from a "chemical soup" into a single cell creature then into a humanoid is simply the expression of an unproven opinion at best, or the expression of a political agenda at worst. In other words an unproven "theory".
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:39 PM   #37
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz

I found it funny....

Their first sentence is a total contradiction in and of itself. They start off by establishing that the US is a world leader in science and technology. This is fact. Then they go on to express an opinion that contradicts that fact, and indeed insults "the leader" with no explanation of how their contradiction makes any sense.

I suppose their point being.. that the "U.S." as you point out is a world leader in science and technology.. HOWEVER, when you get down to Joe Blow on the street.. they state:
Quote:
Recent surveys have revealed that only about half of Americans realize that humans have never lived side by side with dinosaurs,
that was my take on it anyways.

Old 12-20-2006, 02:19 PM   #38
Snow Man

Rep Power: 0 Snow Man is just really nice Snow Man is just really nice Snow Man is just really nice Snow Man is just really nice Snow Man is just really nice
Education still has a long way to go

Recent surveys have revealed that only about half of Americans realize that humans have never lived side by side with dinosaurs. Half of all Americans do not have the IQ to know if they read the book. There still good people just never had a chance to learn. Just think what the third world people have in the way of education it is sad real sad. I agree with Late Night.
Snow Man
Snow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:08 PM   #39
Bob
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 221 Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice Bob is just really nice
A few different conversations here

ok. for starters, i'm not all that a religious person.. don't attend church. I do consider myself a spiritual person however..

I'm just wondering what different levels of evolution we are talking here. and what do others believe.

I know some people say, "Humans didn't evolve from no monkeys" or the like..

I guess the question I want to ask.. is who here believes that we homo sapiens.. DID evolve from earlier species.. such as homo ergaster ?

Did we not evolve from earlier species.. who didn't yet master the making of tools.. only used say rocks for certain things.. then after 1000's of years, learned to place sharp rocks on the end of sticks to create spears.
Then Harnessed the power of fire.. etc..

What I want to ask, is there anyone here who does not believe this ?

now I know, if you want to go back farther, back to simple primates/monkeys, or go farther back to a lifeless planet, and ask the question HOW DID ALL START ? personally I'd buy several explanations.. GOD for one, Aliens for another, a meteorite crashing into the primordial oooze that was laced with bacteria or something that got life started.. these are the answers I don't know, and will except multiple explanation, but in my heart, I accept the evolution of man from a much more primitive creature, to what we are now.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:22 PM   #40
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 246 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Something had to get it all started...had to create something where there was once nothing...thats "God", "The Prime Mover", or "The Force", whatever ya choose to call it. The concept of "Intelligent Design" points to a creator...this is the intersection where evolution, or science, meets up with creationism. As I said earlier, the two theories need not be mutually exclusive. This intersection is called "Theistic Evolution"!

Last edited by Al Swearengen; 12-20-2006 at 09:38 PM.
Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:54 PM   #41
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight
I suppose their point being.. that the "U.S." as you point out is a world leader in science and technology.. HOWEVER, when you get down to Joe Blow on the street.. they state:

that was my take on it anyways.
And my point is that the US is nothing but 300 million "Joe Blows on the street". This is what we are. How can we be smart and stupid at the same time collectively? We can't. That makes no statistical sense whatsoever. Most Americans believe in one God FWIW. The rest are a minority, at least at the moment
Old 12-21-2006, 12:50 AM   #42
FunnyGuy

Rep Power: 0 FunnyGuy will become famous soon enough FunnyGuy will become famous soon enough
I believe in evolution
FunnyGuy
see my stuff at www.shreveport.com/shreveporthappyhour
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	men5.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	67  

FunnyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:06 PM   #43
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
How can we be smart and stupid at the same time collectively?

How can we be smart and stupid at the same time collectively? Easy there rherz just start at one end of 70th street and walk to the other and see how much it can change along the way. From looking a how many views this thread has it would appear this is a hot button for all so with that said may the sheep be to the right and the goats to the left ! Thank all of you that have posted on this thread it has been fun.
Isaac-Saxxon
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 12:46 AM   #44
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
just start at one end of 70th street and walk to the other and see how much it can change along the way.
Ok, point well taken. I guess I am biased and wanted to disagree with the writers. However I still stand by my point that man has not been able to replicate or prove the theory of macro evolution in the lab by creating life from scratch. Scientists can clone, mutate, and inbreed God's creatures all day long, but just try to make even a single cell organism out of basic elements like carbon, water, etc. There is absolutely zero evidence whatsover that this will ever be possible. Think about it. If new life cannot be created by intelligent beings using todays technology, then how did new life pop up on earth with no life on a sterile planet to begin with? Evolution offers no explaination for that. If we ever are able to create life, all that would prove is that it takes a VERY intelligent being to do it. Which supports the notion of "creation" by high intelligent beings with that ability, more than supporting the notion of a random "lightning strike" creating an amoeba or algae out of inanimate random elements for the very first time.

The same thing could be said about the "Big Bang" theory. I believe in the Big Bang, but what happened before the big bang? Nobody knows. Where did matter come from originally to begin with? Energy cannot be created or distroyed, only tranformed from one state to another. Where did the original storehouse of energy in the universe come from? Only God knows.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:54 AM   #45
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
The same thing could be said about the "Big Bang" theory. I believe in the Big Bang, but what happened before the big bang? Nobody knows. Where did matter come from originally to begin with? Energy cannot be created or distroyed, only tranformed from one state to another. Where did the original storehouse of energy in the universe come from? Only God knows.
Agreed, I'll buy the Big Bang Theory, but what the heck was there before that ? I wonder what is beyond our Universe, supposedly the Universe is still expanding ? or did they find that it is shrinking now ? regardless, what' on the other side ??

too early in the day for such heady issues