Go Back   Shreveport.com > SBLive! Groups > Historic Photos

Notices

Old 08-28-2007, 09:48 AM   #16
guitarman
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 213 guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold guitarman is a splendid one to behold
BELA FLECK and the FLECKTONES play some great music. I would love to see some good blues music come to the Strand.
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:03 AM   #17
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
all this talk about the Flecktones.. had never heard of them.. here they are:

LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:48 PM   #18
vixweb
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 219 vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of
As a bassist for 20 years, I've been a long time fan of these guys. Victor Wooten is, in my opinion, one of the top 5 Bassplayers alive today! His older brother, known as "future man", is the Percussionist(spelling?) who is playing a drum machine that looks like some kind of keybord guitar, and is his patented invention. Bela Fleck is a world renown banjo player who has played with the likes of Chet Atkins and Allison Krauss.
vixweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:19 AM   #19
salguodgrubmab
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 0 salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough
Hey Vix, who are your other 4 fav bassists? I was just thinking 'bout that yesterday. Percy, Jaco, Phil, Victor and Paul. Check youtube for a few Percy Jones solos.
salguodgrubmab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:57 AM   #20
salguodgrubmab
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 0 salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough
Tony Levin!
Old 08-29-2007, 09:01 AM   #21
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
my favorite bass players. well possibly not by skill level, and not in any particular order.

Murry Hammond (Old 97's)
Bruce Flett (Bluebirds)
Phil Lesh (Grateful Dead)
Garry Talent (E Street Band)

Here's an OLD one from the Old 97's Tried finding one where Murry is singing lead, but couldn't find one.. but he's pretty damn good with the harmonies and backup vocals... really helps to give the old 97's their 'sound'

This is a fun one.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:26 AM   #22
salguodgrubmab
Advanced Member

You probably would really like DBT! The Truckers are really raucous also. I see a local on your list. There is another local who could very well make the list. He hasn't played in twenty years due to family and business but he was a virtuoso. Great fretless and for a while would boggle minds with the stick. Mike Jones. At parties he'll still pull out a six string from time to time.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:38 AM   #23
salguodgrubmab
Advanced Member

Cant figure out how to upload youtube vids. Help.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:08 PM   #24
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by salguodgrubmab View Post
Cant figure out how to upload youtube vids. Help.

Well Sal, I posted on this just the other day.. Here's a link over on LateNight Radio.

Adding YouTube Videos to a Message

Any questions after reading that.. shoot away..
Old 08-29-2007, 05:09 PM   #25
salguodgrubmab
Advanced Member

still trying looks as though it worked thank you latenight. I have always loved this instrument.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:14 PM   #26
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Great video. I like unusual guitars and guitarists. My favorite guitarist would have to be Steve Howe of Yes. I have seen him on stage several times and he would bring a dozen or so instruments on stage. He would use a different guitar for almost every song ranging from a mandolin to more conventional guitars both electric and acoustic . He even played the steel slide guitar in a very unique way. Not "country" style but very special and unusual for that particular instument. "Relayer" is still one of my favorite albums. But Steve also played lots of grassy and folksy tunes as well that I bet Latenight would like. One in particular he wrote for his daughter but I can remember the name for the life of me. I must do some diggin'.......
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:07 AM   #27
salguodgrubmab
Advanced Member

Yes,yes! My neighborhood pak-a-sak had a fairly good selection of 8-track tapes. I would spend a lot of time going through them. Remember how the showcase would have a hole large enough to stick your arm in and slide one out and peruse song lists and credits. I think the first ones I bought with coke bottle money were Fragile and Close to the Edge. Still hold up today. Rolling Stone magazine and their top album of the...never mention Yes. After those came Tales which was a little too esoteric for me, I had some trouble with Latin lyrics at the time. Ah, but then Relayer. By then I had a relatively good system and probably a Garrard turntable and was fully back in the Yes camp. I remember when it and Tormato were finally released on disc. I had forgotten just how good Relayer was. I may have been the first person to purchase Steve's Beginnings. There is a great vid of Steve playing a lap steel on an edit of To be over on youtube.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:05 PM   #28
vixweb
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 219 vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of
Bassplayers

Hmm.. hard to say about my top 5 bassists-
there are a few that HAVE to be on my list:
Geddy Lee(RUSH)
Stu Hamm(STUDIO)
Stephan Lassard(dave mathews band)
Kim Stone(the rippingtons)
Stanley Clarke(studio/virtuoso).....so many to list, I know I'm leaving out good ones!
vixweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:31 PM   #29
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by salguodgrubmab View Post
Yes,yes! My neighborhood pak-a-sak had a fairly good selection of 8-track tapes. I would spend a lot of time going through them. Remember how the showcase would have a hole large enough to stick your arm in and slide one out and peruse song lists and credits. I think the first ones I bought with coke bottle money were Fragile and Close to the Edge. Still hold up today. Rolling Stone magazine and their top album of the...never mention Yes. After those came Tales which was a little too esoteric for me, I had some trouble with Latin lyrics at the time. Ah, but then Relayer. By then I had a relatively good system and probably a Garrard turntable and was fully back in the Yes camp. I remember when it and Tormato were finally released on disc. I had forgotten just how good Relayer was. I may have been the first person to purchase Steve's Beginnings. There is a great vid of Steve playing a lap steel on an edit of To be over on youtube.
Sal you are a Yes Fan? I'm totally blown away. I will youtube the steve video. Chris Squire was pretty sweet on bass too. I won't even mention Rick Wakeman....... don't get me started..

I am one of the top 10 Yes fans on the planet, I must be! Measured by hours spent listening via 8 track, cassette, and vinyl combined. (CD doesn't count) I saw them in Jackson and Houston in the late 70's..

FWIW I like Relayer first and Tales of Topographics Oceans second. But I also like Steve's solo guitar. Around 1980 Steve made a solo album and I bought it on vinyl. good stuff. They always let him do this thang for one or two tracks in each album. I should search my old collection this weekend.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:06 AM   #30
salguodgrubmab
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixweb View Post
Hmm.. hard to say about my top 5 bassists-
there are a few that HAVE to be on my list:
Geddy Lee(RUSH)
Stu Hamm(STUDIO)
Stephan Lassard(dave mathews band)
Kim Stone(the rippingtons)
Stanley Clarke(studio/virtuoso).....so many to list, I know I'm leaving out good ones!
Whoa Stanley Clarke. I was roadkill after listening to Journey to Love. It was maybe six months before I could listen to anything other than RTF or Mahavishnu Orchestra. I know Journey to note for note. It is in my DNA. Hello Jeff, Concerto for Jazz Rock Orchestra and Song to John. The Alembic bass guitar completely changed the parameters that were imposed on the bass. There is a Phil Lesh and Friends DVD where he drags it out of the closet and bombs the audience. Remember vibrating feet.