Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Family & Home

Notices

Old 10-21-2007, 03:31 PM   #1
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
Spankings Work

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,303541,00.html

Quote:
Should we eat babies? That's a terrible question and I'm offended you'd bring it up. But a leading shrink reports that kids allowed to run wild as toddlers will inevitably turn into violent adults. He says children are most aggressive between 18 to 48 months, which is when they need discipline most.
But the sad truth is the reason why kids become violent creeps is because no one stops them. And by that, I mean, slapping them upside the head.
Is it no surprise that when you stop saying no to kids, what you're left with is Charles Manson in Osh Kosh B'gosh.
Now, I know corporal punishment is a "touchy" thing but spankings work. I know. I was spanked regularly and not only did it teach me right from wrong, but also how much I really liked spanking.
The fact is the moment we replaced spanking with self-esteem classes, we screwed up.
Now, I'm not a parent — it's part of a contract I signed with the state of New York. But that won't stop me from having ideas about kids, just like not having a unicorn never stopped me from knowing the right and wrong way to love one.
My idea: A baby circus, where babies perform hellish acrobatics to win food and freedom. This will teach discipline, as well as entertain us, which is the whole point of kids anyway.
Okay, this guy has it going on. {I wonder if he is kin to Joe}
Old 10-21-2007, 07:07 PM   #2
Morpheus
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of Morpheus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by piemaker720 View Post
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,303541,00.html

Okay, this guy has it going on. {I wonder if he is kin to Joe}
Odd view for a granny. Honestly, I'm not sure if spankings work or not. It seems like all spanking did was teach her to hit. Maybe that comes naturally; it's my first child, but I do think that the more we spank, the more aggressive my child is with us. She laughs when we spank her anyway. I don't want to beat her. Time out doesn't seem to work either. Ditto for "standing in the corner". The only thing that really seems to work is redirecting her into another activity. My wife and I often wonder if we're doing the right thing.
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:11 PM   #3
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
Odd view for a granny. Honestly, I'm not sure if spankings work or not. It seems like all spanking did was teach her to hit. Maybe that comes naturally; it's my first child, but I do think that the more we spank, the more aggressive my child is with us. She laughs when we spank her anyway. I don't want to beat her. Time out doesn't seem to work either. Ditto for "standing in the corner". The only thing that really seems to work is redirecting her into another activity. My wife and I often wonder if we're doing the right thing.
I will say when you show the child the rod in the right way they will always know you can beat that ass and you should not have to revisit it. Just knowing it is alive and well is good. Discipline is consistency and consistency is discipline. Spare the rod .................... Good behavior is no accident I live to call it hard love !
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 07:37 PM   #4
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Morpheus, I agree with Isaac. You have to show them it can be done. You don't you beat them. I have 2 grown children, both will tell you the whipping they got were far and few in between, they can count them on their fingers only. But I taught them I could do it and if they pushed me it could be done again. But you have to teach them NO and mean it. My son one time when he was 3 got a new pair of cowboy boots for Christmas. We were in the car, he was standing on the seat beside [this was before seatbelt law, he is now 25] his sister who was 4 was on the other side of him. He kicked her square under the chin with the toe of them boots, I swear I heard her teeth rattle. I stopped in the middle of the road, took his boots off and threw them out the window. I drove off and told him until he learned what the boots was for he would not get anymore. I didn't even go back for them. But he learned a good lesson. So you don't have to beat a child but get your bluff on them early and keep it. Find something she doesn't like and use that. My grandkids I will take their hand in mine and pop the back of theirs with mine. Gets their attention.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:23 PM   #5
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I have to say I wasn't much of a spanker and only did so as a last resort, but you do have to make it painful (unfortunately) so as for it to be effective.
If she's laughing it's because she can't feel it.
Have you tried removing a special object (toy/blanket) she enjoys and not giving it back to her til you see improvement of the bad behavior? I'm all for trying other venues first.

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:28 PM   #6
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
My favoirite quote from Talledaga Nights:

I hereby declare Granny Law.
And if you don't obey...Granny Law...
I'm gunna paint your back porch RED!!

Shake and Bake!!
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:41 AM   #7
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 261 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Now I don't have kids myself yet, but I would like to point out the difference between a beating and a spanking. The difference is in the aggression you use. You should NEVER NEVER attempt to spank your child during a moment when you have lost your temper. Your aggression is almost guaranteed to be more than what is needed. That is what teaches your child aggression is ok.

The proper way to spank a child is not unlike the way it was typically done in school years ago when teachers could use corporal punishment. Send the child out of the room for a few moments and tell them to wait outside. This is useful because it gives you a few moments to compose yourself and gives them a few moments to dread what they know is coming. Tell them to bend over and give em a few shots calmly. Afterwards, you sit them down and explain to them why their actions were wrong and express your unwillingness to let it happen again.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:02 AM   #8
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit View Post
Now I don't have kids myself yet, but I would like to point out the difference between a beating and a spanking. The difference is in the aggression you use. You should NEVER NEVER attempt to spank your child during a moment when you have lost your temper. Your aggression is almost guaranteed to be more than what is needed. That is what teaches your child aggression is ok.

The proper way to spank a child is not unlike the way it was typically done in school years ago when teachers could use corporal punishment. Send the child out of the room for a few moments and tell them to wait outside. This is useful because it gives you a few moments to compose yourself and gives them a few moments to dread what they know is coming. Tell them to bend over and give em a few shots calmly. Afterwords, you sit them down and explain to them why their actions were wrong and express your unwillingness to let it happen again.
Anime sounds like you need a few kids Make your mom a grandmother again. Did you vote ?
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:35 AM   #9
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon View Post
Did you vote ?

I've been wondering that as well, Anime?!

Jennifer Aniston
Old 10-22-2007, 11:23 AM   #10
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
It takes a lot for me to hit my daughter (I have "don't hit girls" so burned into my brain) but my wife can swat with the best of 'em.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:30 AM   #11
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole View Post
It takes a lot for me to hit my daughter (I have "don't hit girls" so burned into my brain) but my wife can swat with the best of 'em.
Come on Pyle I know you are good at spanking If you can't spank them now there will be a price to be paid when they go through the change. I will say when that first "real" boyfriend comes along they will still love daddy BUT see ya later gator sux but it is the natural order of things.I have three daughters 23,21 and 16
Old 10-22-2007, 11:35 AM   #12
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
I am doing everything in my power to make them gay.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:55 AM   #13
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Good luck with that one!
Old 10-22-2007, 01:29 PM   #14
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 261 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon View Post
Did you vote ?
No, unfortunately, I missed the polls this time around. But I'll catch the next one if TBelle will get me a date.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:25 PM   #15
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Be careful what you wish for Joepole! Isn't she lovely?
Click image for larger version

Name:	dailymarch19.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	1658

Jennifer Aniston