Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Local News

Notices

Old 09-15-2006, 04:13 PM   #16
geodood
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 geodood has a spectacular aura about geodood has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by trkshot8
Well, if you have any doubts about the reasons the Boardwalk has a strict dress code, venture to the Red River District
I take my children and family to the LA boardwalk all the time and feel very safe. We have a great time. I don't even consider taking my family to the River District. There is nothing there to take them to. The "Bad element" chased away all the stores and hope for investment. Now Eldorado bought it I heard.

The only hope for the River District has been dead for decades ever since the banned bar hopping with a drink in your hand (like New Orleans). Years ago we used to go into Humprey's, and Sports page, and Steamboat Annies and on and on. "The square" was kicking! Downtown Shreveport has a lot of nice french architecture and would have made a great mini-french quarter with local music and culture.

Instead of building better law enforcement way back then, they just changed the law to kill the whole area economically and culturally. But I guess they did solve their problem of needing to hire extra police.
geodood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 04:16 PM   #17
scarlett
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 233 scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to scarlett Send a message via AIM to scarlett Send a message via Yahoo to scarlett
They started charging like 5.00 to enter to cover the charges of extra police if I remember correctly. As for the drink in hand if you are in the area just let people walk around other businesses benefit from it. If you restrict it, it kills the business as we all see that it did.
scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:03 PM   #18
geodood
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 geodood has a spectacular aura about geodood has a spectacular aura about
Yes charging a small fee to cover costs for law enforcement would be much better than "throwing out the baby with the bathwater" like they did. I just think it would be better if the Shreveport riverfront had of been the place for adults to go, (like Superior Bar and Grill) while the Bossier side might cater to the family market. But the way it turned out, Bossier has both, and Shreveport no market. (or else the kind of market good businesses do not want to serve) I really liked the "Kona Joes" coffeehouse before it closed down. Chits was never very good through. It's sad. I think they even took down that big overhead plasma tv. A clear case of the few spoiling it for the many.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:50 PM   #19
BlanchardIndian

Rep Power: 0 BlanchardIndian is on a distinguished road BlanchardIndian is on a distinguished road
LA Boardwalk

I am a minority and I have visited the Boardwalk several times. I have felt safer at the Boardwalk than any other shopping center in Shreveport. I attribute this to the EXCELLENT Police Protection provided by Bossier P.D. I am vehemently against most of the dress fads of today. I applaud the measures established by the Boardwalk and I would like to see the guidelines they have adopted by more public places.

I am not fully aware of all of the circumstances surrounding the law-suit but I find it very hard to believe that the officers did what has been alleged.
BlanchardIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:58 PM   #20
geodood
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanchardIndian
I attribute this to the EXCELLENT Police Protection provided by Bossier P.D.
I know a few law enforcement officers and I applaude the tough job they do. Few jobs have such high exposure to law suits compared to the relatively low pay they receive in exchange. I would not want that job for sure. I know one Bossier officer who became involved in a case and was sued and became very disillusioned with the system. He ended up quiting BPD and becoming a salesman for a year or two. But now he is an officer again in Arkansas. I guess you just can't keep a good man down.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:28 PM   #21
kansast
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about kansast has a spectacular aura about
Uh OH BOB..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meet Bob
Meet Bob...
Looks like Bob is in trouble !!

Feds: 'Smiling Bob' firm ran $100M scam
kansast is offline   Reply With Quote