Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Health

Notices

Old 10-09-2006, 07:51 AM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Lettuce Recalled Over E. Coli Fears

The warning is off for fresh spinach grown in California but now there has been a recall over concerns about E.coli contamination in a popular brand of lettuce.
CNN
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:34 AM   #2
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
May be time to grow your own garden

We seldom know just where our food is grown or shipped from. Washing our
food and if there is any question cook it. I grow a small garden and find that
my home grown food is best. The news media will find a story if they are
running short on news.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:09 PM   #3
windshop

Rep Power: 0 windshop will become famous soon enough windshop will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to windshop
Odd that you should blame the media...

...for bringing a potential epedemic to our attention, I/S. Would you suggest that the media not warn us of potential outbreaks of ecoli until someone is sick or dead? I would rather hear all potential hazards and then make my own decision regarding how to react.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:39 PM   #4
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Funny how they recall spinach and lettuce but not alchohol or tobacco when the latter causes MANY more deaths.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:52 PM   #5
Rough Rider
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 218 Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
Funny how they recall spinach and lettuce but not alchohol or tobacco when the latter causes MANY more deaths.
almost funny I suppose the difference, when we drink alcohol or smoke.. we are warned of the dangers, and I appreciate being able to make those kind of decisions myself.. And if you were going to warn me that eating Lettuce, I take my life into my hands or risk getting real sick.. that would be another thing altogether different.

I do however, get your point
Rough Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:18 PM   #6
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Rider
almost funny I suppose the difference, when we drink alcohol or smoke.. we are warned of the dangers, and I appreciate being able to make those kind of decisions myself.. And if you were going to warn me that eating Lettuce, I take my life into my hands or risk getting real sick.. that would be another thing altogether different.

I do however, get your point
Very true. I too get your point. I guess that behind my post I couldn't help but feel the irony that lettuce and spinach could be more dangerous that tobacco or alchohol. LOL. Even sounds funny. I don't smoke but I do enjoy a good martini, so don't get me wrong. But I do see the irony in being able to buy a gallon of vodka no problem, verses a bag of spinach which is banned.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:42 AM   #7
Rough Rider
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 218 Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
Very true. I too get your point. I guess that behind my post I couldn't help but feel the irony that lettuce and spinach could be more dangerous that tobacco or alchohol. LOL. Even sounds funny. I don't smoke but I do enjoy a good martini, so don't get me wrong. But I do see the irony in being able to buy a gallon of vodka no problem, verses a bag of spinach which is banned.
Well.. I would say that it's not so much that it was "banned" just a 'recall' right ? Don't eat "this lettuce" because it's @#@#$ up.

However, if you want to talk about why certain recreational drugs, that can also serve a good purpose to those who are sick.. and regardless of that... are BANNED and AGAINST the law.. but alcohol and tobacco ARE allowed.. I agree 100%
Rough Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:12 AM   #8
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
LOL good thread.. apparently you can't eat the Beef either !

Shreveport Times - Lettuce and Beef Added To Recall List
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:46 PM   #9
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Rider
However, if you want to talk about why certain recreational drugs, that can also serve a good purpose to those who are sick.. and regardless of that... are BANNED and AGAINST the law.. but alcohol and tobacco ARE allowed.. I agree 100%
I with you 100% on that. If the FDA had to approve alcohol today for over the counter sales, I seriously doubt it would win approval. History and specifically predjudice against certain classes of people is the main reason why some substances are legal while others are not. (not medical reasons)
Old 11-30-2006, 04:13 PM   #10
Hattie Thomas

Rep Power: 0 Hattie Thomas is on a distinguished road Hattie Thomas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Hattie Thomas
I yam what I yam

Somebody get Popeye on the phone!
Hattie Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:55 PM   #11
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Would you suggest that the media not warn us

They warn us about every thing. This deal was just over blown and for all the
folks that worry about that they should just cook there food. You have to wonder how much politics is involved in this. I love Yams !
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 09:10 PM   #12
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

I loved fresh spinich before the recall. I haven't bought any since. I see it for sale at Krogers. Is it safe now??