Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Local News

Notices

Old 05-19-2007, 11:54 AM   #1
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
The 'Dirty Little Secret' on Illegal Workers

http://www.ksla.com/global/story.asp?s=6538622

Quote:
A major industry source estimates 75-percent of all construction workers in Shreveport- Bossier are illegal. "There's just not that much to choose from, so you just go with what you got," said General Contractor Miguel Perez, who owns Highland Homebuilders L.L.C.
No wonder unemployment is high.
piemaker720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 04:50 PM   #2
MattyMattyChooChoo

Rep Power: 0 MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice
And which unemployment rate would that be, the national unemployment rate? Would you rather have the unemployment rate of any other country?
MattyMattyChooChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:01 PM   #3
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
I would rather there were no unemployment rate at all. If there were enough jobs then we would have nothing to worry about.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:17 PM   #4
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Oh yeah, after thinking about it you ask if I wanted the unemployment rate for other countries the answer is NO. I do not live in another country, I live here in the United States. Do I think it is fair for people to enter illegaly and against the law, NO. If someone wants to work here do it legally, there are ways. I do not go to other countries to take jobs there. We are in a war with Iraq and our soldiers are still dying. Their people are not trying to stop the violence. So if you diagree I'm sorry but that is the way I feel.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:43 PM   #5
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
I believe the unemployment rate for Shreveport was around 4.0 as of march 2007

I don't know how MANY people 75% of contstruction labor that is illegal aliens equals to..

But if they are illegal aliens.. I take it that means they aren't paying social security taxes ? or federal or state taxes from what they get paid ?

But considering the amount of construction that is currently going on in shreveport and bossier, I'd suspect that's quite a few people.

I love how everyone in that article passes the buck.. the Construction passed the buck to the "contractor" who they say is "legal" the contractor passes it on to somebody else, who they say is "legal" but that they don't know who hires who.. ??
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 09:05 PM   #6
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

so true, so true.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:04 PM   #7
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 257 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
>I would rather there were no unemployment rate at all. If there were enough jobs then we would have nothing to worry about.

Even if there are enough jobs and enough employees unemployment will never be 0% because 1) some people are unemployable and 2) job turnover

Super-low unemployment is just a much an indicator of an unhealthy economy as super-high unemployment is.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 11:12 PM   #8
Isabella
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 235 Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of
Builders have told me they cannot find people to work. Mexicans want to work, so they hire them.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:56 AM   #9
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella
Builders have told me they cannot find people to work. Mexicans want to work, so they hire them.
and I can't find a doctor to prescribe me good pain meds, so I'll just make my own.

I can't find a job, so I'll just steal what I want.

the girl I met didn't want to put out, so I just raped her.

In other words.. just because they can't find enough employees, doesn't make it right to hire illegals.. how about if they can't find enough employees, they raise the minimum pay for said job, making it a more desirable job to have ?

just food for thought.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:25 AM   #10
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Thank you Late Night, An employer will certainly say I can't find anyone that wants to work except illegals because of the cheap labor. This way they don't have to pay a good wage. For those employers it's all about the money, they know what they are doing is illegal. They know they are hiring illegal workers but when ask they say "I didn't know".
Old 05-28-2007, 01:41 PM   #11
howela
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 219 howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold howela is a splendid one to behold
No workers

What they mean is they can't find anyone to work for $7.35 an hour with no benefits.

I agree with piemaker 720, there are legal ways to work in this country.
howela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:57 PM   #12
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
I remember back when only the man of the house had the work and he fed himself, his wife, and kids and no one was ever flat broke. These days, you can totally forget it unless you're some kind of corporate executive. Working these $7.35/hr jobs, you'll be lucky to just get by on your own.

I pay $800/month in rent alone and I've got a tiny house. If I were working for $7.35/hr and worked every minute of two 80-hour pay periods, I'd make $1,176 before taxes. If my rent was $800, I'd better pray my utilities were less than $200 or I'd have a serious problem.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:29 PM   #13
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 257 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
If you only have the skills and ambition to make $7.35 an hour then you probably shouldn't get married to a woman who doesn't plan on working. You also shouldn't have kids if you're unable to get a better salary than that and aren't willing to work more than 40 hours a week.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:01 PM   #14
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
If you only have the skills and ambition to make $7.35 an hour then you probably shouldn't get married to a woman who doesn't plan on working. You also shouldn't have kids if you're unable to get a better salary than that and aren't willing to work more than 40 hours a week.
for some reason, this made me laugh.. I don't know why.
Maybe it's the mere truth of it ? Or the utter desperation of if all.

When I think of all the ways a family may get started.. young lovers, "surprise" pregnancy.. People quitting school, to start working to support their families etc.. any number of scenarios.. and what I really find funny/surprising about that.. is that me and the wife were married for a few years.. and I can honestly say, there was no surprise about our two boys. If a couple of children could be more planned.. I suppose it's possible. But I doubt very likely. I can also say, that we would of had more than the two children, but I really think it came down to a financial decision. We just couldn't see affording anymore.. Makes us sad at times, now that the children are older. But for the life of me, I don't see either one of us getting up in the middle of the night... this point in our life.. LOL
Old 05-29-2007, 12:52 AM   #15
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
Skill and ambition are not necessarily an indication of what is available.