Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Food & Dining (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Fresh Veggies (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1323)

Allen Marsalis 05-26-2007 02:29 PM

5 Attachment(s)
On April 13, I posted these pictures of my small garden:
http://www.shreveport.com/forums/sho...79&postcount=9

Below are the pictures on April 13th followed by pictures of the same garden today May 26th. (43 days later)

purpahurl 05-26-2007 03:41 PM

My tomatoes are kicking butt, as are my beans and peppers. My okra on the other hand has had a rabbit problem. I happen to like fried swamp chicken though.

Pocahontas 05-26-2007 04:02 PM

Hey do you grow any purple hull peas, Purpahurl??? Just curious??:laugh: :laugh:

purpahurl 05-26-2007 06:21 PM

No, I don't have the room. Never fear though next year I will. Do'nt forget lady creams, and "sqwah". Ha, Ha.:laugh:

Isaac-Saxxon 05-26-2007 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allen Marsalis
On April 13, I posted these pictures of my small garden:

Below are the pictures on April 13th followed by pictures of the same garden today May 26th. (43 days later)

Now that is a bad ass garden there SIR :clap: :clap: did you pop a chalk line to lay those plants out :laugh: You got me beat big time and you shall eat well this summer. Do you put up any of your produce ? Almost pea season and time for Isaac to stock up for the winter. Nice job sir very nice job :clap:

Isaac-Saxxon 05-26-2007 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpahurl
My tomatoes are kicking butt, as are my beans and peppers. My okra on the other hand has had a rabbit problem. I happen to like fried swamp chicken though.

How about some pictures of that garden there home boy :D

Isaac-Saxxon 06-01-2007 11:42 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Well now home boy will not post any photos of his garden so I am posting a update to mine. :D

Attachment 668
Me okrie sock dropin good ;)
Attachment 672
Vine ripe Tommy Toes :clap:
Attachment 670
Sweet Banana Peppers ready for the toaster oven with some Swiss :cool:
Attachment 671

Sheba 06-01-2007 12:56 PM

[quote=Allen Marsalis]On April 13, I posted these pictures of my small garden:

Wow! These are nice pictures!! I love the way a fresh garden smells. Isaac - yours is nice, too, though Alan's got you beat on those rows. How 'bout the flavor of those vegies? Can't beat homegrown.

purpahurl 06-01-2007 01:51 PM

Good lookin'peppers Issac. I'm Havana daydreamin for 7 days. I'll post pictures when I get back. Providing my garden is still there.

Isaac-Saxxon 06-01-2007 02:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by purpahurl
Good lookin'peppers Issac. I'm Havana daydreamin for 7 days. I'll post pictures when I get back. Providing my garden is still there.

Could it be the night of the Lepus :eek:
Attachment 676
While your Havana daydreamin Brair Rabbit is eating your okrie :laugh:
Look at that girl on the log with that Tar Baby Tan :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:

Allen Marsalis 06-01-2007 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheba
Wow! These are nice pictures!! I love the way a fresh garden smells. Isaac - yours is nice, too, though Alan's got you beat on those rows. How 'bout the flavor of those vegies? Can't beat homegrown.

Well technically my garden is just an over-sized "square foot garden" popularized by Mel Bartholomew

http://www.google.com/search?q=Mel+B...re+foot+garden

I bought Mel's book back in the early 80's and haven't plowed a row since! There are several ideas behind these type of "french beds". One is that you don't have to step inside the garden, so the soil stays "fluffy". The farthest reach to pluck a tomato is 2.5 feet inside the garden. Same for weeding. Also the yield is high using a smaller space. The concept works on patios which is how I got started.

If interested I encourage you to visit the square foot garden site at:
http://www.squarefootgardening.com

Then come back and chat about it! :)

Isaac-Saxxon 06-01-2007 02:58 PM

Quote:

Well technically my garden is just an over-sized "square foot garden" popularized by Mel Bartholomew

http://www.google.com/search?q=Mel+B...re+foot+garden

I bought Mel's book back in the early 80's and haven't plowed a row since! There are several ideas behind these type of "french beds". One is that you don't have to step inside the garden, so the soil stays "fluffy". The farthest reach to pluck a tomato is 2.5 feet inside the garden. Same for weeding. Also the yield is high using a smaller space. The concept works on patios which is how I got started.

If interested I encourage you to visit the square foot garden site at:
http://www.squarefootgardening.com

Then come back and chat about it! :)

Mr. Marsalis I do not see any fruit on your vines :confused: Are these ornamental or will they yield fruit :rolleyes:

Allen Marsalis 06-01-2007 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
Mr. Marsalis I do not see any fruit on your vines :confused: Are these ornamental or will they yield fruit :rolleyes:

Isaac, I am not growing "fruit". I'm am growing "vegetables"! :peace:

Texasbelle 06-01-2007 03:26 PM

Isn't a tomato considered a fruit and not a veggie????????????????

Isaac-Saxxon 06-01-2007 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texasbelle

This sounds like a fire ball flame on Allen :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: You will know the vine by the fruit ;)

Allen Marsalis 06-01-2007 03:36 PM

Quote:

LOL, do you put tomatos in "fruit soup" or "vegetable soup"? I rest my case! :)

AnimeSpirit 06-01-2007 03:43 PM

Quote:

Botanically speaking, a tomatoe is absolutely a fruit. I read that tomatoes can even by sub-categorized as a berry.

I found this interesting because I know back a century or two in Europe, they thought tomatoes were poisonous because people mysteriously died after eating them. Then the people realized that only rich people were dying when they ate them, which made it even more unusual.

As it turned out, rich people were eating off of pewter plates which contain high traces of lead. The tomatoes, having acidic juice, would absorb some of the lead and give whoever ate it lead poisoning. Talk about learning the hard way. ;)

Texasbelle 06-01-2007 03:47 PM

I guess you could put them in your fruit loops then.

rhertz 06-01-2007 03:48 PM

Quote:

LOL, do you put tomatos in "fruit soup" or "vegetable soup"? I rest my case! :)

Beans are also technically a fruit! Everybody knows this!!

"Beans Beans the musical fruit! The more you eat the more you............"

Texasbelle 06-01-2007 03:49 PM

Wait a minute Rhertz, is tomatoe soup considered a fruit soup or vegetable soup????????????:confused:

rhertz 06-01-2007 03:58 PM

Quote:

Wait a minute Rhertz, is tomatoe soup considered a fruit soup or vegetable soup????????????:confused:

I dunno, check this out:
http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexper...utother/tomato

I didn't know fruit had ovaries!

AnimeSpirit 06-01-2007 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz
Beans are also technically a fruit! Everybody knows this!!

"Beans Beans the musical fruit! The more you eat the more you............"

I know another version.

"Beans beans, they're good for your heart! The more you eat, the more you..." ;)

Texasbelle 06-01-2007 05:56 PM

Quote:

I dunno, check this out:
http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexper...utother/tomato

I didn't know fruit had ovaries!

Now that was educational reading. You never know what you are going to learn on this board.

Isaac-Saxxon 06-01-2007 06:30 PM

Well now boys and girls we now know much more about the fruit. I just had dinner with tomatoes and Mahi cooked under a broiler and some steamed asparagus. Tomatoes from the garden and the Mahi nice and pink then seasoned with garlic and black pepper with Parmesan and browned. I will say my wife does not like fish and she enjoyed it. Thanks to the cook and the gardener too. :D

Isaac-Saxxon 06-14-2007 09:51 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Okra up date !

Attachment 765
Okra bloom. The Okra plant is in the same family as cotton.
Attachment 766

Had to post this one of my Mexican Petunias :D
Attachment 764
These guys grow like weeds and are a perennial. Humming birds come to them later on as other flowers die off. They like full sun.

Isaac-Saxxon 06-25-2007 02:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Not getting much help here on this garden thread :rolleyes:
Well here is my one volunteer Sunflower :D
Attachment 823
Ripe and ready cherry tomatoes :clap:
Attachment 824

Pocahontas 06-25-2007 02:14 PM

Beautiful sunflowers!
Those tomatoes are making me want to go and make up a big salad! I think I will! I hope I have some that taste as good as those look!:D

rhertz 06-25-2007 10:15 PM

I want to see an "Okra Update" there Isaac!!! :D Inquiring minds want to know!

Isaac-Saxxon 06-26-2007 06:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I want to see an "Okra Update" there Isaac!!! :D Inquiring minds want to know!

and so you have the update rhertz. I picked this morning and it was a bit hazy out but this shot will show you how life giving rain can get these girls to grow.

Attachment 830

rhertz 06-26-2007 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
and so you have the update rhertz. I picked this morning and it was a bit hazy out but this shot will show you how life giving rain can get these girls to grow.

LOL, just don't eat so many okra that your socks slide down! :D

Isaac-Saxxon 06-26-2007 01:28 PM

Quote:

LOL, just don't eat so many okra that your socks slide down! :D

You pick that okra and you will get the itchy bug itch and you better wash those hands twice.

Etymology, origin and distribution
The name okra is of West African origin and is cognate with "ókùrù" in Igbo, a language spoken in what is now known as Nigeria. The species is occasionally referred to by an early, now incorrect synonym, Hibiscus esculentus L.

Okra flower bud and immature seed podThe species apparently originated in the Ethiopian Highlands, though the manner of distribution from there is undocumented. The Egyptians and Moors of the 12th and 13th centuries used the Arab word for the plant, suggesting that it had come from the east. The plant may thus have been taken across the Red Sea or the Bab-el-Mandeb strait to the Arabian Peninsula, rather than north across the Sahara. One of the earliest accounts is by a Spanish Moor who visited Egypt in 1216, who described the plant under cultivation by the locals who ate the tender, young pods with meal.

rhertz 06-27-2007 12:32 PM

So okra is really not in the Hibiscus family? The flower looks sort of like a hibiscus.

Isaac-Saxxon 10-16-2007 07:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Do we have any fall gardens ? I have mine all planted. Still has a way to go before I will have new photos. This is a photo of last years broccoli. I have multiplying onions,spinach,lettuce,turnip greens,carrots and radishes.

Attachment 1615
That would be old Chester on rat patrol in the garden.

purpahurl 10-16-2007 07:58 PM

Go on Isaac. All I have is okra, basil, mustard greens and 5 rows of Spinach, the kind without salminella.

Isaac-Saxxon 10-16-2007 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpahurl (Post 22890)
Go on Isaac. All I have is okra, basil, mustard greens and 5 rows of Spinach, the kind without salminella.

I am surprised you still have okrie. Where is rhertz with his green thumb ? :D

rhertz 10-16-2007 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon (Post 22893)
I am surprised you still have okrie. Where is rhertz with his green thumb ? :D

No collards, no mustards, no turnips... No peas or brocoli, or any cold weather crop. I'm off my game. All I have are some fast riping peppers. I'm in Jalapeno heaven here.... Maybe it isn't too late for some brocoli or carrots....

Isaac-Saxxon 10-22-2007 11:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Fall is in the air and in the garden. I thought there were some gardeners on this board :confused::confused: Well lone wolf is still tilling the ground. I have a few photos of broccoli and turnip greens. I grow the greens for some of my friends that is one thing I will pass on. Love that chopin broccoli :D
Attachment 1652

Attachment 1653
notice the multiplying onion mixed with the broccoli.

purpahurl 10-22-2007 12:49 PM

Good lookin' Greens Son of Abraham. Mine are just stretching out of the ground, but they be as many as the sands on the beach. I'm still getting Peppers. By the way it's Satsuma time.

Pocahontas 10-22-2007 12:56 PM

I believe those awesome tomatoes are available again as well at the Ag Center, along with the satsumas!:)

Isaac-Saxxon 10-22-2007 12:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by purpahurl (Post 23192)
Good lookin' Greens Son of Abraham. Mine are just stretching out of the ground, but they be as many as the sands on the beach. I'm still getting Peppers. By the way it's Satsuma time.

LSU has very nice tomato's. The tomato's come in a five pound box and cost 10.00 a box. Satsuma's are very good too. LSU grows them in south LA.

CITRUS SATSUMA (GROS SUJET)
Attachment 1654
I just called LSU Ag center and the lady said that the Satsuma's will not EVER be sold again because Katrina wiped them out. :( They will have the tomato's through Christmas.