Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Local News (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Urgent Message to pray for Ethan Powell (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2926)

sbl_admin 10-30-2007 12:57 PM

Urgent Message to pray for Ethan Powell

The parents of Ethan Powell send out urgent message to pray

http://www.shreveport.com/forums/ima...thanpowell.jpg

Isaac-Saxxon 10-30-2007 02:42 PM

St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis is a awesome place. I agree that prayer is needed for young Ethan and his family :pray: I have children as many of you do and to think that your child could be in this situation is very hard to think about. I do volunteer work for Shriners and see on a first hand basis just how hard it is on the parents. The kids seem so happy even when faced with a life threating situation. The innocence of the children is a sign to me that God protects the babies. The parents need our prayers as much as young Ethan.

Pocahontas 10-31-2007 03:32 PM

I hope that little angel still has some fight in him! Let's all remember him in our prayers!:pray:

Morpheus 10-31-2007 05:02 PM

done!

joepole 10-31-2007 06:56 PM

If God isn't going to help a baby unless He gets enough attention/people asking then he's a real a$$hole.

rhertz 10-31-2007 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole (Post 23854)
If God isn't going to help a baby unless He gets enough attention/people asking then he's a real a$$hole.

It's not about giving Him attention. It's about expressing your faith in accordance with his Word. Faith is key to anything happening. If you don't believe something is possible, then it probably isn't possible [for you]. Almost everything that happens in this world is preceeded by someone who believes that it really can happen, be it landing on the moon, distroying not one but two skyscrapers, or saving a life. Faith makes it all happen. You have what you believe in. That could be money, talents, or many other things.

Isaac-Saxxon 10-31-2007 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole (Post 23854)

Joehole you are the ultimate rectum :footinmouth:

joepole 10-31-2007 07:22 PM

>It's about expressing your faith in accordance with his Word.

And if He's not going to do anything to save a baby from dying unless enough enough people express their faith then, again, He's a serious a$$hole.

If a doctor said "I have the skills and ability to operate on this kid and save his life, but I won't do it unless I get 1,000 phone calls from people asking me to." you would think he's an a$$hole, wouldn't you? Why would you hold a god to a lesser standard than a doctor?

Again, if anyone (including God) can save this child and doesn't/won't for any reason (especially one as selfish as "I want attention") that person/deity is a jerk and isn't worthy of praise.

rhertz 10-31-2007 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole (Post 23864)
And if He's not going to do anything to save a baby from dying unless enough enough people express their faith then, again, He's a serious a$$hole..

Why would God do something here on earth that nobody here on earth believes is possible? God needs a certain level of FAITH to work with. Otherwise, we would all be robots or dogs. Man has choice and that separates us from all other living creatures. I'm glad I have choice even if it puts some responsibility on myself to have faith if I want something.

rhertz 10-31-2007 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon (Post 23861)
Joehole you are the ultimate rectum :footinmouth:

Now that's an ad hominem attack! ;) :duck:

rhertz 10-31-2007 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole (Post 23864)
If a doctor said "I have the skills and ability to operate on this kid and save his life, but I won't do it unless I get 1,000 phone calls from people asking me to." you would think he's an a$$hole, wouldn't you?

No. First the doctor must have faith in his or her ability to save life. if he doesn't have faith then he probably can't or won't save a life. Maybe if a 1000 people said "You can do it", then perhaps that person's faith might swell enough to actually believe it himself and then do it. But he won't do it if he doesn't believe he can.

joepole 10-31-2007 10:12 PM

So God won't save Ethan because He doesn't believe He can? That's seriously your argument?

Morpheus 11-01-2007 08:06 AM

I think you're playing devil's advocate here Joe and arguing for the sake of argument. You're pretty good at it too, in my limited experience here on the board. But if you're trying to logically argue something as ethereal as faith then its a non sequitur. I also don't think it's fair to ask mortals to guess at the motives or designs of a supreme being. It's just not possible.

Now, arguing whether a doctor is an a$$hole or not...THAT'S fair game. I realize you're not the one who made that comparison. But if you consider that Doctor's have the skills to treat and cure people, but the majority only treat those who can pay....

joepole 11-01-2007 01:53 PM

>I also don't think it's fair to ask mortals to guess at the motives or designs of a supreme being. It's just not possible.

Isn't that what the original poster did? Guessed that God wasn't going to save this baby's life unless we prayed to Him?

Morpheus 11-01-2007 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole (Post 23963)
>I also don't think it's fair to ask mortals to guess at the motives or designs of a supreme being. It's just not possible.

Isn't that what the original poster did? Guessed that God wasn't going to save this baby's life unless we prayed to Him?

no, I didn't see it that way. is that your interpretation? I'll reread it.