Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   World News (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Could Mars Be Inhabited? (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1058)

sbl_admin 04-03-2007 07:38 AM

Could Mars Be Inhabited?

A Mars-orbiting satellite recently spotted seven dark spots near the planet's equator that scientists think could be entrances to underground caves.

Isaac-Saxxon 04-03-2007 09:19 AM

Did they find a face on Mars ?

Yes I think they did. It kind of looked like Rosie :laugh:

AnimeSpirit 04-03-2007 09:49 AM

Face on Mars - photo by the Viking probe

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the Martian face to which you refer. I remember seeing this years ago and thought it was creepy.

Isaac-Saxxon 04-03-2007 10:09 AM

Good find Anime

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
Here's the Martian face to which you refer. I remember seeing this years ago and thought it was creepy.

Is that photo real. I have learned the hard way to question things like this :D
It looks like someone trying to get out of the inside of a balloon or the face on the Wall CD :laugh:
Isaac

joepole 04-03-2007 10:34 AM

It is real (taken on one of the Viking missions in the 70s) but subsequent photos have shown it to be an artifact of strange lighting.

http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/..._may2001/face/

There have been several studies that have found that human brains were exceptional at recognizing and identifying the shape of the human face.

scarlett 04-03-2007 11:25 AM

Brain would know scientists are always right :peace::D:clap:

Isaac-Saxxon 04-03-2007 11:30 AM

The million dollar question ? Are we alone

With the Hubble and much more imaging that we have to view the universe there is still no sign of "liquid water" and no sign of life on any planet that we can even see. Is it just the way the big bang went or is it creation ? Now we are back at square one. Joe is there a mathematical formula on the odds that we are the only planet to be covered with water and untold amounts of live both plant and animal ?
Isaac
It is the question that drives us. What is the Matrix :confused: :confused:
Hey Neo got time to answer this conundrum ?

rhertz 04-03-2007 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
With the Hubble and much more imaging that we have to view the universe there is still no sign of "liquid water" and no sign of life on any planet that we can even see. Is it just the way the big bang went or is it creation ? Now we are back at square one. Joe is there a mathematical formula on the odds that we are the only planet to be covered with water and untold amounts of live both plant and animal ?
Isaac
It is the question that drives us. What is the Matrix :confused: :confused:
Hey Neo got time to answer this conundrum ?

Isaac, does the bible make any statements regarding the question if we are alone or not? I think I remember a Discovery show years ago that tried to prove the existence of UFO's and it showed artwork in caves as well as quotes from the Bible as I recall.

Isaac-Saxxon 04-03-2007 01:35 PM

Yes it does rhertz

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz
Isaac, does the bible make any statements regarding the question if we are alone or not? I think I remember a Discovery show years ago that tried to prove the existence of UFO's and it showed artwork in caves as well as quotes from the Bible as I recall.

I believe that would be in Ezekiel ! I think referred to as a whirlwind or in the Greek highly polish bronze.
Ezekiel 1:4
And I looked, and, behold, a whirlwind came out of the north, a great cloud, and a fire infolding itself, and a brightness was about it, and out of the midst thereof as the colour of amber, out of the midst of the fire.
Attachment 209
One more place Acts 1:9-11
And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight. And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel; Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.
I am so glad you ask rhertz I think !
Isaac
Bible bashers get in line you can not be first only next :rolleyes:

rhertz 04-03-2007 03:17 PM

Wow, cool pic there Isaac. Just for the record, I believe in UFO's. LOL, it's the extraterrestrial aliens I'm not so sure of. Just kidding. I think that statistically speaking, there is only an infinitesimal chance that we are alone in the universe. That is to say, there is nearly an infinite certainly that there is other life in the universe. I was curious if my religion might support my belief in this topic.

joepole 04-03-2007 04:07 PM

If you want to work the odds, then we are almost certainly not the only life in the universe, but we are also almost certainly too far from anyone else to have made contact yet. Remember, the universe had been expanding (most likely at about the speed of light) for 10 or so billion years, meaning we're about 10 billion light years away from any other random point.

Isaac-Saxxon 04-03-2007 04:15 PM

I like your post joe you should get points here

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole
If you want to work the odds, then we are almost certainly not the only life in the universe, but we are also almost certainly too far from anyone else to have made contact yet. Remember, the universe had been expanding (most likely at about the speed of light) for 10 or so billion years, meaning we're about 10 billion light years away from any other random point.

If that is the case and I am not the math man you are then would the earth and sun be moving away at the same speed ? Or is our solar system moving at that speed ?
Isaac

joepole 04-03-2007 04:32 PM

Yes.

It tells me this response is too short so I must now add extra characters.

AnimeSpirit 04-03-2007 04:40 PM

I don't know about that. If you mark 2 points on a balloon with a marker and begin blowing it up, these two points would most certainly move away from each other. They would not, however, move away from each other near as fast as the expansion speed of the balloon itself. If two planets bearing the seeds of life were side-by-side billions of years ago, they would likely be far out of sight now after billions of years, but not by light years.

One light year is roughly 5,879,000,000,000 miles.

joepole 04-03-2007 09:24 PM

Inside a sphere with radius r, the mean of the distance between any two random points is either r or r/2. I'm pretty sure it was the former, but even if it's r/2 that's plenty of distance (5 billion light years).