Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Health (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Alzheimer's Is A Scary Disease (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=989)

sbl_admin 03-20-2007 09:59 AM

Alzheimer's Is A Scary Disease

Age is the biggest risk factor, and the report to be released Tuesday shows the nation is on track for skyrocketing Alzheimer's once the baby boomers start turning 65 in 2011. Already, one in eight people 65 and older have the mind-destroying illness, and nearly one in two people over 85.

AnimeSpirit 03-20-2007 10:07 AM

I've always heard that meditation helps combat this disease. It teaches the mind to work more efficiently, never stumble in thought, and builds clarity. What amazes me is that most people think meditation does absolutely nothing.

Isaac-Saxxon 03-20-2007 10:53 AM

Meditation does help in many ways

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
I've always heard that meditation helps combat this disease. It teaches the mind to work more efficiently, never stumble in thought, and builds clarity. What amazes me is that most people think meditation does absolutely nothing.

We all choose what to meditate on but that down time for the body and up time for the mind is good medicine. The mind can not live with out the body or was it the other way around :confused: I watched a movie about this and I did not want to before I did it but I cut the deal to watch with my family you know (chick flick) but I must say I was wrong it was really good and it sure shed some light on the matter. Very sad for any family is loosing your loved one while they are still alive. The Movie :The Notebook (2004) .... Allie Hamilton best watch it alone if you can :cool:
Isaac

LateNight 03-20-2007 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit

I've heard different stories about things that can help 'prevent' alzheimers. Such as keeping the mind active etc.. My old man NEVER stopped reading or trying to learn new things. Alzheimers took him before he hit 65.

Not to discredit Meditation. I believe anything you do that helps to reduce the amount of stress in your life.. can and will add years to your life.

sbl_admin 03-21-2007 07:50 AM

Updated News Story

A new story has been added to the "Read More" section of this topic, as follows

USA Today -- Mar 21 2007 7:50 AM
Alzheimer's cases up 10% to 5 million in half decade

Al Swearengen 03-21-2007 07:05 PM

If I understand it correctly, Alzheimer's is caused by the formation of sticky plaques that form on the brain. What causes those plaques to form is the real question.