Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   SBLive! Support (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Rep Point Update (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1318)

sbl_admin 05-02-2007 12:26 PM

Rep Point Update

Members will no longer be able to give negative rep points to other members. If a members agrees with another member's post, the member may still give positive rep points to that member showing his approval of that post. If you do not happen to agree with the post, simply move on.

Current members with negative rep points will be reset to zero. Users will no longer be capable of having negative rep points. We hope this update will better help to encourage positive activity within the forums.

rhertz 05-02-2007 02:03 PM

yeah spread the love, not the hate! :D

Isabella 05-02-2007 10:51 PM

Then what is the point! If I disagree with someone, but don't want to embarrass them, I would prefer to give them a negative privately than to post a message about it in front of everyone. I think it will encourage more negative posts and cause more fighting. You are doing away with the negatives, because one person has a huge problem receiving negatives and complained to you about it. I received negatives, was called an ugly name on two occasions, and did not come crying to you about it. I thought it was funny. I am sure it came from the person who complained to you. Just had to vent, time to move on.

AnimeSpirit 05-02-2007 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isabella
Then what is the point! If I disagree with someone, but don't want to embarrass them, I would prefer to give them a negative privately than to post a message about it in front of everyone. I think it will encourage more negative posts and cause more fighting. You are doing away with the negatives, because one person has a huge problem receiving negatives and complained to you about it. I received negatives, was called an ugly name on two occasions, and did not come crying to you about it. I thought it was funny. I am sure it came from the person who complained to you. Just had to vent, time to move on.

Isabella, that's probably one of the big reasons why this system needs to be turned off. Just because you disagree with someone, doesn't mean they deserve bad rep. That's like punishing someone for being different. I've pointed this out numerous times in the FAQs ever since admin adopted this system. Despite that, I've personally noticed the reputation system being abused, because some members keep giving bad rep for the wrong reasons or no reason at all. I've received complaints in my private messages and I'm just a group moderator! :freaky:

If you want to disagree with someone OFF the forum, we have private messaging here on SBLive! that work just like e-mail. I'm sorry, Isabella, but I'm in favor of admin turning bad rep off. It may be more democratic, but people just don't seem to get how to properly use it.

LateNight 05-02-2007 11:47 PM

LOL what a drag :) I liked getting the occasional negative rep points.. it lets me know I riled someone's feathers ;)

how about if we could hit someone with a negative REP comment, but that doesn't take away from their rep POINTS ?

Isabella 05-03-2007 01:19 AM

Aww better to just remove it. Private messages can be abused also. I have seen it happen on other forums. I think some people took the whole rep point system too seriously. I enjoyed all my positive ones and laughed at the few negatives ones.

Sheba 05-03-2007 06:02 AM

Thanks sbl admin!

Just like to see that there is moderating! I haven't been posting long enough to see the abuse of points, etc., but I have seen very pointed negative comments directed at specific individuals. Even general thread topics seemed to digress to that point.

Just the headlines are negative enough.... We should be able to post, read, think and walk away with appreciation and respect for the variety of individuals who post.

If taking the negatives away encourages more positive thoughts & comments, I am definitely for that!!! Thanks for taking steps toward a solution!!:clap:

BrainSmashR 05-03-2007 06:04 AM

Quote:

You are doing away with the negatives, because one person has a huge problem receiving negatives and complained to you about it.
Well seeing as how I was the only person in the red. I can tell you for a fact your psychic abilities are about as useless as you trying to hook 2 monitors to 1 computer.

Isaac-Saxxon 05-03-2007 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheba
Just like to see that there is moderating! I haven't been posting long enough to see the abuse of points, etc., but I have seen very pointed negative comments directed at specific individuals. Even general thread topics seemed to digress to that point.

Just the headlines are negative enough.... We should be able to post, read, think and walk away with appreciation and respect for the variety of individuals who post.

If taking the negatives away encourages more positive thoughts & comments, I am definitely for that!!! Thanks for taking steps toward a solution!!:clap:

The point system has been used and abused by most all of the active members not pointing the finger except at myself and I could care less about points but mean comments hurt all for the most part. You can make your comments on the board and that will come under your avatar which means you stand by what you say. :clap: I apologize for the mean spirited comments I have made. I am not saying I was wrong in my what I believe just the way I tried to get my point across. Thank you SBL for standing up and getting control before the problem became much larger :clap:

Isabella 05-03-2007 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
Well seeing as how I was the only person in the red. I can tell you for a fact your psychic abilities are about as useless as you trying to hook 2 monitors to 1 computer.

Brain I was not referring to you. You took it like a man and I thought it was not fair for certain people to think it was okay for you to receive negative points and not them. So chill out! Most people here know who I was referring to.

Pocahontas 05-04-2007 09:51 PM

Good job!

I've definitely noticed some positive changes since I've been gone this week! Way to go SB administration!:clap: