View Single Post
Old 12-17-2006, 12:00 PM   #13
MattyMattyChooChoo

Rep Power: 0 MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice
I completely agree with the aquarium bit. During the Revel, my wife and I visited the Conservatory (correct word?) the plant museum. I was utterly disappointed by the horrible shape of the facility. There were holes in the roof, leaks in the pipes that flooded some of the plants, and some of the plants had enveloped and killed off other plants.

Texas did have some high property taxes, but the price of houses were some of the lowest in the country, several thousand dollars less than Shreveport.

Earlier this year, the Texas Supreme Court ruled that the use of property taxes for school funding is unconstitutional, and thus they have to find another way to supplement. I doubt Texas will resort to state income taxes because people are drawn to Texas for the low cost/high quality housing, massive business opportunities. MCI Worldcom had a massive operation in Texas, as did Alcatel, Enron, etc. and many of the former employees found it providencial to start their own businesses after the crash.

Texas has immense surplus and low taxes and intends to keep it that way. Louisiana needs to compare itself to Texas, economically, and get a clue!
MattyMattyChooChoo is offline   Reply With Quote