View Single Post
Old 10-28-2007, 07:27 PM   #11
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpahurl View Post
Albertsons on Southfield sells buckets of shucked oysters. They are priced pretty good. I have only used them for making bisque or gumbo, but at the right time you can get some big ones, and if you have something to cook them in without the shell you can use them for Rockefeller. I know you need a shell for the last part of this recipe, Bears has the best raw oysters in town and they have tons of shells. Geralds on Jimmy Davis hwy. also can provide shells. Don't fool with Farmers.
Thanks for the info purpa... Who/were is Bears? yeah Bienville and Rockefeller is baked in half a shell. I can think of a dozen ways to cook oysters in the half shell.

I once had a baked oyster dish in a fancy restaurant who used rock salt as a bed to prop up the bottom of the shells and keep them steady. However they sprinkled grated parmesan cheese on top of the plate and during baking and it stuck to the rock salt so when I stabbed the oyster with my fork and ate it, I got a salt pebble or two which totally ruined the dish. Rock salt and oysters don't go together!
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote