View Single Post
Old 04-25-2007, 07:57 PM   #15
Sheba
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 218 Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold Sheba is a splendid one to behold
Very imformative article!!

Thanks Rhertz!! In my short windows of time, I am still learning to navigate this site. I feel a bit silly 'cause I just didn't see it.

However, I did read article and there's great info in it. I also heard more reported on radio news today as well. The study was based on question responses - a bit more than a survey. Participants were not identified ahead of time as particularly religious in any sense. If they had been, result could be seen as scewed.

Just as I have stated from my own experience with children, parents, and research of my own, the article says that people of religious backgrounds are more focused on their own beliefs and transfer those to their children. Here's the best quote from the info:

Bartkowski thinks religion can be good for kids for three reasons. First, religious networks provide social support to parents, he said, and this can improve their parenting skills. Children who are brought into such networks and hear parental messages reinforced by other adults may also “take more to heart the messages that they get in the home,” he said.

Secondly, the types of values and norms that circulate in religious congregations tend to be self-sacrificing and pro-family, Bartkowski told LiveScience. These “could be very, very important in shaping how parents relate to their kids, and then how children develop in response,” he said.

Finally, religious organizations imbue parenting with sacred meaning and significance, he said

Just says that religious parents care enough to learn about parenting, to say the right things, and to be good people themselves !! Good article!! Supports just what I have been saying.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote