View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 08:51 PM   #7
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 294 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.nc View Post
I may resort to a driveby of rhertz's house if the options are as bad as last time I was in town and needed a connection to the world wide internets... but what are the best bets for wireless in the South Highlands area? Email mostly.

Free is nice but might pay for reliable. Am in town this coming week and may have to do some work. (saw some older posts here mention some places, PJs and Coutyard Coffee, but not sure if they are still valid).

Thanks for the suggestions.
Cell Phone carriers offer a "3G" service called EVDO which is high speed Internet over their cell phone network. ATT, Verizon, Nextel, Alltel have it. I use Nextel. it costs $69/mo but works all over town. I get about 1Mbps down and 300kbps up. Latency is bad. And it drops connections on a regular basis but the coverage is totally better than WiFi and works Non-Line-of-Sight.

Now if you drive by my house, you will get 1.5Mbps in both directions over Wifi! but you can't use it all over the country like with ATT, Nextel, etc. (most larger cities have EVDO by now)
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote