Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Glover win was unexpected

Was Glover's win an unexpected upset?
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:57 PM   #2
Isabella
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 238 Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of
YES!!!
Old 11-12-2006, 11:12 PM   #3
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 248 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Somebody, and Im not gonna mention any names, is miffed because Jones didn't win. The people who wanted Jones to win are probably the same people that voted for Keith Whitepower, (cough cough) uh, I mean Hightower! And look how much that guy did for the city!

Last edited by Al Swearengen; 11-12-2006 at 11:28 PM.
Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:11 AM   #4
Rough Rider
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 220 Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbl_admin
Was Glover's win an unexpected upset?
I thought it was going to be close.. that he won, didn't necessarily surprise me, but by HOW MUCH he won DID surprise me.

Shreveport's got some issues, and I hope he can maybe do something about them.
Rough Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:35 PM   #5
Isabella
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 238 Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of
I did not vote for Hightower. Tell me what is wrong with Hightower? What did he do right?

What do you know about Jerry Jones?

Why do you think Glover will be a better mayor than Hightower or Jerry Jones?
Old 11-13-2006, 10:43 PM   #6
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 295 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
The only thing that made me nervous about Hightower was the construction of an expensive hotel on the heels of the contruction of an expensive convention center.

Jones said in his campaign that Shreveport is $1B in debt. If true, those facilities alone might account for as much as 10% of that debt as I recall. I might be wrong but the hotel was $60M alone if I recall. I hope it brings in big money into our economy to make it worthwhile. One driveby shooting on the front steps, and it could be all over..... (happened to the old convention center right?)
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:56 PM   #7
Isabella
Advanced Member

rhertz, wow that is a lot of debt! Does anyone know why Shreveport has that much debt?

I thought the hotel was a bad idea. Does the city own it?
Old 11-13-2006, 11:18 PM   #8
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 248 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Wink

Whats wrong with Hightower? Well, lets talk instead about whats right with him...first of all, he has that nice head of hair that we all admire so much...oh yeah, and he can sell the hell out of them Hondas...and he can spend the hell out of the city's funds...did I leave anythin out?

What do I know about Jerry Jones? Well, I happen to know that he's a great guy...go ahead, ask me how I know that

Guess we'll just have to wait and see what kind of a mayor Glover turns out to be!

My *****in rights have been temporarily suspended so I cant complain...at least, not directly
Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:28 PM   #9
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 295 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella
rhertz, wow that is a lot of debt!
Yes it is.

Quote:
Does anyone know why Shreveport has that much debt?
Most cities issue bonds for bridges, roads, convention centers, etc. (Infrastructure)

Quote:
I thought the hotel was a bad idea. Does the city own it?
I believe so, in whole or part I do not know. It was determined by a study that the city owned convention center would fail without an ajoining hotel. So as an afterthought, a new hotel was built. Nobody in the private sector wanted the fund the whole thing so the city jumped in as I recall.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:34 PM   #10
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen
My *****in rights have been temporarily suspended so I cant complain...at least, not directly
Naw, somehow your b!tchin is very entertaining compared to my wifes! (ducking)

But let this be a lesson to just remember to vote next time! (ducking again) LOL

Trust me, this time, it was overrated.. I have never lost so bad. I think I won on one thing I voted for - no higher sales tax. I lost big time. Wish I stayed home.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:48 PM   #11
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Hotel

The hotel was not an afterthought, it was always planned.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:00 AM   #12
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
The hotel was not an afterthought, it was always planned.
Ok, then maybe the "afterthought" was in regard to who was going to pay for it....
Old 11-14-2006, 09:42 AM   #13
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Hotel Payment

It was always part of the plan, but only if the city couldn't get it privately financed. You have to remember this whole project started in 1998, the hotel didn't break ground until 2005.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:58 PM   #14
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Well, I sure would hate to be the owner of the Holiday Inn or The Chateau who invested in our downtown area and now must compete with a tax dollar funded hotel a block or two away. In fact, the "free enterprise" hotels will be taxed and those dollars will go (in small part) to pay bonds that fund the competition. If they fail to pay taxes, they could go to jail.

I am about as excited by a city being in the hospitality business as I am a city being in the Internet business. Things like this should be left to the private sector IMO. First I would like to see clean water at high pressure at an affordable price before they "branch out". I won't even mention the smell of our Lucas wastewater plant in South Shreveport.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:46 AM   #15
Rough Rider
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 220 Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about
Doesn't the CITY run a boat launch and some restaurant down by the Stoner/Clyde Fant River front area ?

and good point.. not sure I agree with the City diving into such areas. Never thought of it like that.. but you have folks paying taxes.. FUNDING the competition.. that's a bummer.
Rough Rider is offline   Reply With Quote