Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > World News

Notices

Old 03-11-2007, 05:28 PM   #76
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
I am a confirmed Catholic.....you know, there's nothing wrong with asking questions instead of making assumptions. In fact, some might consider that a sign of a willingness to learn instead of "faith" that you already have all of the answers.

As far as "name calling", there is nothing wrong with labels. You should take no more offense at being called a zealot when you consider yourself to be a mere Christian than I do at being called anti-Christian when I consider myself to be a mere Scientist. It's not like I am calling you stupid or evil, I'm calling you jealous on behalf of your God just like you would pick your children over someone else children.....except your God's son, of course, right?

Now I agree with the concept of garbage in-garbage out....the problem is you label your garbage as "not Christian" instead of simply accepting the fact that more atrocities have been committed in the name of your god than for any other god in the history of man......all the while "bragging" about your 2 billion strong population. It's A or B, not somewhere in between. You either have 2 billion including the child molesting priest, the snake handling Pentecostals, and the polygamist Mormons, or you exclude them and your 2 billion strong gets considerable smaller, one step at a time.

Maybe it IS in your best bet to quit while you still have some faith

Last edited by BrainSmashR; 03-11-2007 at 05:43 PM.
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:15 PM   #77
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 263 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
As far as "name calling", there is nothing wrong with labels. You should take no more offense at being called a zealot when you consider yourself to be a mere Christian than I do at being called anti-Christian when I consider myself to be a mere Scientist. It's not like I am calling you stupid or evil, I'm calling you jealous on behalf of your God just like you would pick your children over someone else children.....except your God's son, of course, right?
There is nothing wrong with labels, I agree. However, you must take great care in choosing the labels you place on other people. And I say this to everyone! You can't choose a label to place on another person and tell them whether or not it should offend them. This is especially so if their views are different than your own. A person of matured empathy will recognize this and use their labels sparingly. I, for one, stick to proper names and pronouns only. Who am I to tell other people what they are?
AnimeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:33 PM   #78
Isabella
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 238 Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of
sci·en·tist

sci·en·tist [s əntist]
(plural sci·en·tists)
n
expert in science: somebody who has had a scientific training or who works in one of the sciences
a social scientist

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:37 PM   #79
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 249 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
Quote:
So your God is a terrorists, right?

You believe because of the FEAR of not believing?

You know, there are MANY who would label you as a non-Christain because of what you have stated above.....in fact, I'm truely surprised that Isaac agrees with this type of justification.
"Your God is a terrorist, right?" Thats just too damn funny, Brain. Cause and effect, Brain, cause and effect. Who would've guessed that there could be consequences to atheism? Tell ya what, I want ya to get ****faced drunk and go sleep on the railroad tracks tonight, ok? Or how about this, I want ya to get your buddies to take ya out to the middle of the ocean and drop ya off...without a floatation device. Or how about this one, I want ya to build a huge wooden pyrimid, climb up on top with a couple of gallons of gas and spark it up! But I get the feeling you're not gonna do any of those things, because ya know what the consequences could be, right? It'll be FEAR that stops ya from doing those things, but so what? Does the fact that FEAR is involved in the equation invalidate anything? Change anything? Make your decision not to do those things any less heartfelt or sincere? Ofcourse not! Now, I dont REALLY want ya to come to any harm or put yourself in a dangerous situation, I'm simply using those examples to make the point that everything we do or not do has consequences, and that just because the powerful motivation of fear naturally plays a healthy role in our decision making, that fact changes absolutely nothing. Ever hear the phrase "he's a God-fearin man", Brain? Ever wonder what it meant?

Assuming ya dont meet your end in a sudden, completely unexpected way, Brain, you're gonna have some time to think about the consequences of your choices, particularly your choice NOT to believe in God. But if you're a true atheist, as ya profess to be, you're not gonna give a damn about something as trivial as the disposition of your soul...that shouldnt bother ya one bit, right? See, I dont believe you're really that stupid. And if you're really not that stupid, then you're just making a specious argument here for the sake of controversy, which is fine. Very, very few people are stupid enough to be true atheists, and I dont for a second believe you're one of them. But ya DO have a choice, Brain. Ya have free will to do as ya please. And if ya really ARE a true atheist, then ya wont recant when you're on your deathbed...neither aloud where others can hear you NOR silently, ya wont recant! But I'm bettin ya will. I'd bet any amount of money ya will.

Last edited by Al Swearengen; 03-12-2007 at 04:09 AM.
Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:06 PM   #80
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 296 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Al, I would trust you to guard the gates of heaven much like Peter. You would take care of business, no doubt.. It ain't always a pretty job, but somebodies got to do it! Without flinching or waiting on a vote from a committee.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:56 PM   #81
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 270 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
The AL has spoken. So say we all

And his Rep Points are goin' through the roof
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:38 AM   #82
Isabella
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 238 Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of Isabella has much to be proud of
BrainSmashR
Advanced Member
Rep Points: -45

Brainy you are getting more popular with your posts! Keep up the good job.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:09 AM   #83
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 319 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
The wise one has spoken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen
"Your God is a terrorist, right?" Thats just too damn funny, Brain. Cause and effect, Brain, cause and effect. Who would've guessed that there could be consequences to atheism? Tell ya what, I want you to get ****faced drunk and go sleep on the railroad tracks tonight, ok? Or how about this, I want you to get your buddies to take you out to the middle of the ocean and drop you off...without a floatation device. Or how about this one, I want ya to build a huge wooden pyrimid, climb up on top with a couple of gallons of gas and spark it up! But I get the feeling you're not gonna do any of those things, because you know what the consequences could be, right? It'll be FEAR that stops you from doing those things, but so what? Does the fact that FEAR is involved in the equation invalidate anything? Change anything? Make your decision not to do those things any less heartfelt or sincere? Ofcourse not! Now, I dont want you to come to any harm or put yourself in a dangerous situation, I'm simply using those examples to make the point that everything we do or not do has consequences, and that just because the powerful motivation of fear naturally plays a healthy role in our decision making, that fact changes absolutely nothing. Ever hear the phrase "he's a God-fearin man", Brain? Ever wonder what it meant?

Assuming you dont meet your end in a sudden, completely unexpected way, Brain, you're gonna have some time to think about the consequences of your choices, particularly your choice NOT to believe in God. But if you're a true atheist, as you profess to be, you're not gonna give a damn about something as trivial as the disposition of your soul...that shouldnt bother you one bit, right? See, I dont believe you're really that stupid. And if you're really not that stupid, then you're just making a specious argument here for the sake of controversy, which is fine. Very, very few people are stupid enough to be true atheists, and I dont for a second believe you're one of them. But you DO have a choice, Brain. You have free will to do as you please. And if you really are a true atheist, then you wont recant when you're on your deathbed...either aloud where others can hear you OR silently, you wont recant! But I'm bettin you will. I'd bet any amount of money you will.
Dear Al you have used you way with words to tell it just how it is once again and I like it I think we have a case of someone so lonesome that he is trying to convince himself he is a atheist and he just can not quite get there. Al you must have lived two lives to have the wisdom that you possess. I thank you for passing in along to us. I too have add even more points you are like King Solomon with all your wisdom. Keep up the great post. Every time I see one of your post not matter the subject I read it.
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:19 AM   #84
Al Swearengen
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 249 Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future Al Swearengen has a brilliant future
I appreciate the kind words and the vote of confidence, Isaac, and Rhertz and LateNight. But I'm no Soloman...I've done far too many dumbass things in my short life, made far too many mistakes. Wish that wasnt the truth, but it is!
Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:54 AM   #85
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
"Your God is a terrorist, right?" Thats just too damn funny, Brain. Cause and effect, Brain, cause and effect. Who would've guessed that there could be consequences to atheism? Tell ya what, I want ya to get ****faced drunk and go sleep on the railroad tracks tonight, ok? Or how about this, I want ya to get your buddies to take ya out to the middle of the ocean and drop ya off...without a floatation device. Or how about this one, I want ya to build a huge wooden pyrimid, climb up on top with a couple of gallons of gas and spark it up! But I get the feeling you're not gonna do any of those things, because ya know what the consequences could be, right? It'll be FEAR that stops ya from doing those things, but so what? Does the fact that FEAR is involved in the equation invalidate anything?
Change anything? Make your decision not to do those things any less heartfelt or sincere? Ofcourse not! Now, I dont REALLY want ya to come to any harm or put yourself in a dangerous situation, I'm simply using those examples to make the point that everything we do or not do has consequences, and that just because the powerful motivation of fear naturally plays a healthy role in our decision making, that fact changes absolutely nothing. Ever hear the phrase "he's a God-fearin man", Brain? Ever wonder what it meant?

That's fear of the known. We know for a fact what happens when a trains hits anything. We know what happens when fire burns, we know that a fall from just 10ft. has a 50% chance of killing someone. There is even photographic evidence to support these outcomes and enough instances to show a highly predictable pattern.

Your justification is on par with being scared of the dark because of the boogie man. An entity no rational person has ever seen, spoken to, or photographed. There is no evidence to support your beliefs and no verifiable data to suggest a predictable outcome. Your entire system of beliefs is based on faith.

Quote:
Assuming ya dont meet your end in a sudden, completely unexpected way, Brain, you're gonna have some time to think about the consequences of your choices, particularly your choice NOT to believe in God. But if you're a true atheist, as ya profess to be, you're not gonna give a damn about something as trivial as the disposition of your soul...that shouldnt bother ya one bit, right? See, I dont believe you're really that stupid. And if you're really not that stupid, then you're just making a specious argument here for the sake of controversy, which is fine. Very, very few people are stupid enough to be true atheists, and I dont for a second believe you're one of them. But ya DO have a choice, Brain. Ya have free will to do as ya please. And if ya really ARE a true atheist, then ya wont recant when you're on your deathbed...neither aloud where others can hear you NOR silently, ya wont recant! But I'm bettin ya will. I'd bet any amount of money ya will.
Well obviously I'm not the least bit worried about your opinions or the alleged consequences of mine. After all, you think I'm lying simple because the words I speak go against your faith.......damn me and the 4-billion others on this planet who have a viewpoint that doesn't reflect Christian beliefs, right?

Or are you about to tell me heaven is full of Islamics, Jews, and Hindus because they aren't atheist.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:57 AM   #86
BrainSmashR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit
Who am I to tell other people what they are?
A human being capable of making rational decisions based on the information one provides about them self?
Old 03-12-2007, 07:49 AM   #87
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 319 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Even King Solomon had his flaws

Quote:
I appreciate the kind words and the vote of confidence, Isaac, and Rhertz and LateNight. But I'm no Soloman...I've done far too many dumbass things in my short life, made far too many mistakes. Wish that wasnt the truth, but it is!

It is plain to see you have learned from your mistakes and are well in touch with your maker. The first thing one needs to do to get in touch with God is to look inwards to see ones own flaws. We all have them and to think that science alone can bring one to a eternal life well It was pride that cause the fall of Satan and it is pride that causes many people to fail in life. It is pride that will not let someone admit they are wrong or have flaws. Al your way with words makes me smile and your wisdom no matter your flaws is just great. I am sad for our friend that he fights so hard to prove that Christianity is wrong but I think after all the post he has had plenty of time to make a case and I have yet to see anybody agree with the post or attacks on Christians. The five post spam the other day did not get anybody to reply and points to go way down. I never did get any replies to my question has anybody ever read the entire Bible ? I know if I could read Homer I sure would want to read the Bible or Josephus and that would make a person on better footing to say they do not like or do not believe in something other than just to attack it for science sake. I know many people that go to a church that does not teach God's word and that would explain why someone might not believe in God. It is not what the preacher says it is what the Word of God says that matters. Some would call this blind faith and it is blind if you have never read the Bible but after a good read it sure gives strength to ones faith in God. I choose not to put eternal faith in any man but in a much Higher Being God the Eternal One. I hope you "ALL" have a blessed week !
Isaac

http://gunbarrelcityradio.com/InGodWeStillTrust.wmv> Diamond Rio Song
Old 03-12-2007, 08:45 AM   #88
BrainSmashR
Banned

I see, you assume I haven't read the entire Bible, in spite of being a confirmed Catholic, based on my overlooking one question and your inability to read Homer? Maybe the problem is that you surround yourself with people who rely solely on faith and "divine inspiration" rather than first-hand knowledge and therefore can't comprehend someone not following in your footsteps?

You see, friend, my purpose is not to sway your opinion, but rather to make you admit you have noting to base your system of beliefs on other than faith.....and while you haven't come out right with the admission, you've certainly failed at producing what would be considered evidence in any courtroom in the nation.

BTW, anyone going to tell me which author witnessed the creation of the Earth and the heavens as described in the book of Genesis?...or was that comment just another lie perpetrated by Christians?
Old 03-12-2007, 09:13 AM   #89
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 263 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Quote:
A human being capable of making rational decisions based on the information one provides about them self?
Indeed, I'd like to consider myself a capable and rational person, hence the reason I do not give other people labels of my own. Even if I do perceive a person to be blatantly ignorant (not that I'm implying anyone here is), I'm certainly not irrational or rude enough to point it out, especially in public. This is how I am capable and rational.
AnimeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:21 AM   #90
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

but rather to make you admit you have noting to base your system of beliefs on other

Quote:
I see, you assume I haven't read the entire Bible, in spite of being a confirmed Catholic, based on my overlooking one question and your inability to read Homer? Maybe the problem is that you surround yourself with people who rely solely on faith and "divine inspiration" rather than first-hand knowledge and therefore can't comprehend someone not following in your footsteps?

You see, friend, my purpose is not to sway your opinion, but rather to make you admit you have noting to base your system of beliefs on other than faith.....and while you haven't come out right with the admission, you've certainly failed at producing what would be considered evidence in any courtroom in the nation.

BTW, anyone going to tell me which author witnessed the creation of the Earth and the heavens as described in the book of Genesis?...or was that comment just another lie perpetrated by Christians?
Mr. Brain,
You think you are going to "make" people admit to anything. Wrong way to approach this. There is solid evidence that takes much reading and scientific research to find. This forum is not the place to do that. Just as your very long post the other day did nothing but make people turn you off. This country is based on "Christian values" and yes faith. You have your nose so deep in the material world that you can not see the greater things that are there for you if you will only seek them out instead of putting them down. You never did say you read the Bible and telling us that your Catholic requires some faith for me to believe you. Being Catholic, Baptist or any other
man made religion is not the same as reading your Bible. Brain do you have family that believes in God ? If so do you attack them for what they believe ? I would guess not. Try reading JOB 38 & 39 just for me PLEASE ! You may think many things about me but you only know me by what I have posted and the same goes for you. If you placed as much time in seeking God as you do on this board you would be a very happy man. You want something you can hold in your hand or see with your very own eyes before you believe in God ? Well I think you should pick up your Bible and give it a read. I do not say this to put you down or sit in judgment of you or anyone as far as that goes but I can tell you it has been very good to me and you can call it what you want but you can not see the blessings until you seek your maker. I will keep you in my prayers and yes I pray each and everyday not for you to be put down but for you to be lifted up by the Holy Spirit.
God Bless
Isaac