Go Back   Shreveport.com > Public Forums > Food & Dining

Notices

Old 06-25-2007, 02:07 PM   #106
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Not getting much help here on this garden thread
Well here is my one volunteer Sunflower
Click image for larger version

Name:	sunflower.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	655.6 KB
ID:	823
Ripe and ready cherry tomatoes

Name:	cherrytoms.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	648.2 KB
ID:	824
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 02:14 PM   #107
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Beautiful sunflowers!
Those tomatoes are making me want to go and make up a big salad! I think I will! I hope I have some that taste as good as those look!
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:15 PM   #108
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
I want to see an "Okra Update" there Isaac!!! Inquiring minds want to know!
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:58 AM   #109
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
I want to see an "Okra Update" there Isaac!!! Inquiring minds want to know!
and so you have the update rhertz. I picked this morning and it was a bit hazy out but this shot will show you how life giving rain can get these girls to grow.

Name:	6-26-07 002.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	677.9 KB
ID:	830
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:27 AM   #110
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
and so you have the update rhertz. I picked this morning and it was a bit hazy out but this shot will show you how life giving rain can get these girls to grow.
LOL, just don't eat so many okra that your socks slide down!
Old 06-26-2007, 01:28 PM   #111
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
LOL, just don't eat so many okra that your socks slide down!
You pick that okra and you will get the itchy bug itch and you better wash those hands twice.

Etymology, origin and distribution
The name okra is of West African origin and is cognate with "ókùrù" in Igbo, a language spoken in what is now known as Nigeria. The species is occasionally referred to by an early, now incorrect synonym, Hibiscus esculentus L.

Okra flower bud and immature seed podThe species apparently originated in the Ethiopian Highlands, though the manner of distribution from there is undocumented. The Egyptians and Moors of the 12th and 13th centuries used the Arab word for the plant, suggesting that it had come from the east. The plant may thus have been taken across the Red Sea or the Bab-el-Mandeb strait to the Arabian Peninsula, rather than north across the Sahara. One of the earliest accounts is by a Spanish Moor who visited Egypt in 1216, who described the plant under cultivation by the locals who ate the tender, young pods with meal.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:32 PM   #112
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

So okra is really not in the Hibiscus family? The flower looks sort of like a hibiscus.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:52 PM   #113
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Do we have any fall gardens ? I have mine all planted. Still has a way to go before I will have new photos. This is a photo of last years broccoli. I have multiplying onions,spinach,lettuce,turnip greens,carrots and radishes.

Name:	Picture 135.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	687.9 KB
ID:	1615
That would be old Chester on rat patrol in the garden.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:58 PM   #114
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold
Go on Isaac. All I have is okra, basil, mustard greens and 5 rows of Spinach, the kind without salminella.
purpahurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:07 PM   #115
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpahurl View Post
Go on Isaac. All I have is okra, basil, mustard greens and 5 rows of Spinach, the kind without salminella.
I am surprised you still have okrie. Where is rhertz with his green thumb ?
Old 10-16-2007, 09:17 PM   #116
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon View Post
I am surprised you still have okrie. Where is rhertz with his green thumb ?
No collards, no mustards, no turnips... No peas or brocoli, or any cold weather crop. I'm off my game. All I have are some fast riping peppers. I'm in Jalapeno heaven here.... Maybe it isn't too late for some brocoli or carrots....
Old 10-22-2007, 11:21 AM   #117
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Fall is in the air and in the garden. I thought there were some gardeners on this board Well lone wolf is still tilling the ground. I have a few photos of broccoli and turnip greens. I grow the greens for some of my friends that is one thing I will pass on. Love that chopin broccoli

Name:	10-22-07 001.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	720.7 KB
ID:	1652

Name:	10-22-07 002.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	625.7 KB
ID:	1653
notice the multiplying onion mixed with the broccoli.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:49 PM   #118
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold
Good lookin' Greens Son of Abraham. Mine are just stretching out of the ground, but they be as many as the sands on the beach. I'm still getting Peppers. By the way it's Satsuma time.
purpahurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:56 PM   #119
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
I believe those awesome tomatoes are available again as well at the Ag Center, along with the satsumas!

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:57 PM   #120
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpahurl View Post
Good lookin' Greens Son of Abraham. Mine are just stretching out of the ground, but they be as many as the sands on the beach. I'm still getting Peppers. By the way it's Satsuma time.
LSU has very nice tomato's. The tomato's come in a five pound box and cost 10.00 a box. Satsuma's are very good too. LSU grows them in south LA.

CITRUS SATSUMA (GROS SUJET)
Name:  CITRUS_MANDARINIER_SATSUMA.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  16.0 KB
I just called LSU Ag center and the lady said that the Satsuma's will not EVER be sold again because Katrina wiped them out. They will have the tomato's through Christmas.

Last edited by Isaac-Saxxon; 10-22-2007 at 01:34 PM.